Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sharp looking figure, but I am surprised at the lack of a cloak. It's a signature look of Maul's, so not including it seems to me a major oversight. Luckily I've sworn off even the few good things that were in the PT, so it's of no concern to me.

Edit: *whistles* And not even a stand? Wow. I can see SSC being forced out of SW 1:6 at this rate, due to low sales.

Last edited:
Lets not forget SS also marks up the HT figures and they sell for around $150 in HK (and since SS are buying wholesale they get them much less than even that of course). Therefore simple economics would suggest they would be selling their own figures at a cheaper price since there is no third party involved.

I've seen this said a few times, but has anyone in the US been able to buy a new figure from Hong Kong for $150. The second I see a figure released (like Luke Stormtrooper or Spacetrooper), it's up for $280 or more shipped from Hong Kong on eBay. I know that's with a mark-up, but that's significantly more than the SS price for those.

And not including the cloak is total bs- Its part of his costume. Thats like making Superman without his cape :slap

Not quite as integral as Superman's cape, but this does feel like a lazy cash grab figure. Re-release a popular character with slight improvements but minimal features and high profit, and to get out of seeming like we missed stuff or need to include it, we'll name it specific to a scene in the movie to only need those parts.

Back at SDCC, there was this whole thing about how the accessories wouldn't be recycled but all new, so what, they didn't feel like making everything all new so just a few hands and a saber hilt, big effort.

This line just feels a lot different from where it started. This isn't Hasbro, people can't afford for Desert Maul and Naboo Maul to be two separate, equally priced figures.

I've seen this said a few times, but has anyone in the US been able to buy a new figure from Hong Kong for $150. The second I see a figure released (like Luke Stormtrooper or Spacetrooper), it's up for $280 or more shipped from Hong Kong on eBay. I know that's with a mark-up, but that's significantly more than the SS price for those.

That's the price for locals. Of course it's going to be more after shipping, eBay and paypal fees and what the seller is making on top.

LOL at the prototype pictures. I would be interested if it looked that good. But, you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, no-one gets them for those prices and even local stores that ship overseas are not significantly cheaper. I think SSC's mark-up on HT is fair considering their expenses.

Not quite as integral as Superman's cape, but this does feel like a lazy cash grab figure. Re-release a popular character with slight improvements but minimal features and high profit, and to get out of seeming like we missed stuff or need to include it, we'll name it specific to a scene in the movie to only need those parts.

Back at SDCC, there was this whole thing about how the accessories wouldn't be recycled but all new, so what, they didn't feel like making everything all new so just a few hands and a saber hilt, big effort.

This line just feels a lot different from where it started. This isn't Hasbro, people can't afford for Desert Maul and Naboo Maul to be two separate, equally priced figures.

And the original Sideshow figure did include everything needed for a Desert or Naboo version and since the blades were fixed he came with a lot of hilts, I think the exclusive was 5 total hilt/blade variations :lol And the binoculars, gloved hand with the remote as well as the outer robes.

I assume they call it the Naboo version to justify leaving out some of the accessories, but the robe is very iconic and key to the beginning of the Naboo duel. Sideshow has really phoned it in on this one, Maul and X-Wing Luke are both figures I was looking forward to but I'll now likely pass on both due to the cost being so far out of line with what the figures come with and what the end quality will probably be.

Wow, I'm frankly shocked at this reveal and more specifically with the combination of a very high price point and very minimal accessories (including no cloak!). The original Darth Maul that SSC did nearly 10 years ago remains one of my favorite figures even still today after collecting Hot Toys and Sideshow for years. I realize we have come a long way since then in terms of the market and what those figures were priced at, but I remember that was really my first "high end" Star Wars purchase and started me down the slippery slope that this hobby can become.

Just off the top of my head that figure (I got the Sideshow Inclusive version) included a cloak, multiple hilts including the "battle damaged" hilt, multiple hands (more than this one comes with if I had to guess) and the face likeness still holds up to this day at least in my opinion....all for $60 I believe. Again, I realize where this hobby has gone and the price points that it demands, but I'm happy to say that I'll be sticking with my original SSC Darth Maul and saving $240.

One other observation -- when SSC used to do their posted Q&A sessions (haven't seen one of these in a while now) I distinctly remember them saying that they are not in the market to compete directly with Hot Toys and are more in the market of producing figures at $30-$40 below a Hot Toys figure. That was their "niche" at least at that time. Clearly that has changed with some of their recent releases. Again I'm shocked at this release. It looks good, don't get me wrong...just not $240 good in my opinion.

I have a feeling parted out will be expensive... not much meat on the bones for a company like TA to part it out and still make any kind of profit. eBay will be worse :lol

Had he come with more like the OG release I'd see part outs being plentiful, but not with this bare-bones figure.

Yeah, no-one gets them for those prices and even local stores that ship overseas are not significantly cheaper. I think SSC's mark-up on HT is fair considering their expenses.

I don't dispute that. I do however dispute that by the same token they are unable to sell their own figures in their home market for similar to what HT sells their figures for in their home market since there is not 3rd party involved they should be cheaper and never in a million years should this bare bones release be $240!

WTH is going on with sideshow? This was revealed 3 months ago... and isnt out for another year??? Why even reveal it this early? Theyre getting worse and worse over time. 6000 projects going on simultaneously. Guarantee you that by next summer, they will be announcing 2018 projects. Its getting as bad as videogames now.

And no cloak is a deal breaker for me. I think he looks odd with it off, just like Kylo Ren (although Maul is significantly cooler looking than Kylo Ren).

Hmmmm... At $240, maybe Sideshow knows something we don't. Maybe he'll pop up in a future Disney Spin off movie thus increasing the desirability of this figure!!!!! :dunno :rotfl (Don't think so)

Truthfully, I could care less about Maul...

BUT... this doesn't bode well for C-3PO, which I do care about. SS may think he's too cheap, and thus 'cheap-out' on his materials and/or PAINT!!!

This makes me worry...

Hmmmm... At $240, maybe Sideshow knows something we don't. Maybe he'll pop up in a future Disney Spin off movie thus increasing the desirability of this figure!!!!! :dunno :rotfl (Don't think so)

Its Star Wars. It doesnt matter that he is dead and not relevant anymore. So is Vader. He's still fairly popular. Lol

That price is horrific wtf are they thinking !?!? He come with absolutely nothing not even the robe is this a joke !
I'll have to pass on this I wanted as maul but this is getting stupid

I would have liked to get this Maul if it had a cloak. Without it, I wouldnt want to spend more than $150 for a cloak-less Maul.

About 3PO, I dont even know why anyone ever bothers to make one after the tamashii figure. You cannot make a better 3PO than that. They can make cheaper ones of course, and Im sure they will, but I wouldnt settle personally. Id rather just fork over the $400 if I were a big 3PO fan (which im not).

Back