Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this figure than any Hot Toys figure. Say what you want about Sideshow but they nailed this.

What other characters have an updated version from Sideshow? I got the first one, still unopened buried deep somewhere with Qui-gon. Then I got Obi-wan to complete the trio, but Obi was light years apart from the other two. Now there's this, and what's the chance Hot Toys tries one on?

I just keep holding off on this, but I also have the Hasbro three...

What other characters have an updated version from Sideshow? I got the first one, still unopened buried deep somewhere with Qui-gon. Then I got Obi-wan to complete the trio, but Obi was light years apart from the other two. Now there's this, and what's the chance Hot Toys tries one on?

I just keep holding off on this, but I also have the Hasbro three...

I don't think Hot Toycs could better this sculpt tbh! Maybe on a par, but that's about it!

This figure passes a test many figures often fail, which is looking amazing regardless of whether photographed by a pro or a quick cell pic. He consistently looks straight out of the movie. As far as the portrait, the most HT could do is more specific sculpts on the horns, which would be subtle, and painting the tattoos without sculpting lines in, that the painters still miss. HT’s advantage would be in accessories and costuming quality.

This figure passes a test many figures often fail, which is looking amazing regardless of whether photographed by a pro or a quick cell pic. He consistently looks straight out of the movie. As far as the portrait, the most HT could do is more specific sculpts on the horns, which would be subtle, and painting the tattoos without sculpting lines in, that the painters still miss. HT’s advantage would be in accessories and costuming quality.

I think the costume is great! But Hot Toys could add a robe and like you said accessories.
I actually think on this one sideshow surpassed Hot Toys with the eyes! There's such a level of realism to the eyes on this Maul, it's almost like it's looking at you!

Sideshow nailed the Maul gaze this time around for sure.

As far as his costume, it looks good, but it doesn’t quite have the “excess fabric”, baggy look from the movie which i imagine HT would, and their robe would be the best to date.

i think HT will do better on the portrait if they base it on Ray Park instead of Maul. Add the accessories of SS V1 Maul and they'll hit it out the park. Paintwork is on point with this Maul but the sculpt isn't Ray Park.

This looks sufficiently like Ray Park to me for the fact that every shot of the face looks straight out of promo shots or the movie, if it were too off from his face that wouldn’t happen, I don’t care about EU, Maul’s face is Park’s face.

aBAyZIM.png
2c3zNKf.jpg

This looks sufficiently like Ray Park to me for the fact that every shot of the face looks straight out of promo shots or the movie, if it were too off from his face that wouldn’t happen, I don’t care about EU, Maul’s face is Park’s face.

Agreed!

I need to take more pictures of him. He is a great figure :) Mine came with a paint flaw in his right eye, i have received a second head without flaws and been thinking to get the flawed one repainted (only the eyes) with the pupils a little bit higher (like the PF figure i think?) and maybe more screen accurate to give him an even more menacing look.

Instagram_001_SS_Star_Wars_Darth_Maul_01_V2.jpg

Just tinkering with saturation?

I like the more subdued left/top one.

I agr ee with what was said, many pics look like movie stills of this figure. Outstanding.

Yes exactly that. I reposted this on my Instagram and just wanted a little more red in the photo. I had an interesting experience the day I reposted, originally I was going to take a new portrait shot but after a while I failed so many times I gave up hope of ever topping this photo. No matter how hard I try and can't recreate the contrast gradient, lighting or angle :lol So imo this photo will always be a unique fluke of sorts :lol So I just posted an edit instead :lol

I like the first version too, its much more realistic looking :hi5: Thanks Craig :D Your photos are outstanding too, the Thanos shot is still one of the best I have seen of him and I reposted it on OneSixthLegion for you :hi5:

I need to take more pictures of him. He is a great figure :) Mine came with a paint flaw in his right eye, i have received a second head without flaws and been thinking to get the flawed one repainted (only the eyes) with the pupils a little bit higher (like the PF figure i think?) and maybe more screen accurate to give him an even more menacing look.
That's an amazing shot Roy :duff Nice work on the contrast and lighting :clap

Sith eye Anakin, Maul, Grevious, Dooku and Jango are all I would ever need from the PT to feel sufficiently covered in that area. Clone Wars really fleshed out Grevious into an enjoyable and memorable villain.

Yeah, i have a couple SS and Medi and agree the Medi is the better cloak. Funny your name doesn't share your view on the cloak... :)

Yeah, they were hit and miss for me. Nice toys, but one day my darth maul just broke at the hip, and I don't mind when a toy breaks when I do it, but when it breaks on its own, while not even being touched, that's a problem. Other than their price, and scale, medicom was fine. I still like their troopers even though they are really white, the sideshow troopers were kind of gray, so when mixed together it looks a little odd.

Back