Sideshow AT-AT Diorama? Thoughts on one.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sideshow should do a diorama of the AT-AT's approaching Echo Base. There's an iconic film still that would do nicely IMO.

tntheempirestrikesback0.jpg

And a side view

work14528813flat800x800.jpg

Naturally, the scope is too big for a reasonable piece. But, I'm sure Sideshow could figure something out. Perhaps one, really well done AT-AT.

Is it just me, or could the AT-AT's get some love? Don't see enough SW vehicles IMO. Maybe it is just me... :)

Last edited:
Re: Sideshow AT-AT Diorama

I think you really a need a question mark in the title of this thread...

That said, I'm not sure that this kind of thing is really Sideshow's strong suit. What scale where you thinking of?

Question mark would have been good....oh well.

I hadn't really thought about scale. I guess it depends on how it was done. If I were writing the ticket, assuming a single AT-AT, I'd probably go with something in the 12 - 14" tall range for the vehicle. Not a dio anymore I guess, but I'm just chewing on the idea. It's one of my favorite most memorable scenes in SW, the battle on Hoth. Naturally, we'd all love a tailored piece for such moments. :)

Sideshow did a nice job on the speeder bike. While that came with a PF trooper, the vehicle itself was well done. The paint work on metal objects is one of Sideshows strong points IMO. I really like how they did armor on the Predator dios I picked up. I agree, they usually do living objects, but the AT-AT is machinery mimicking life in the sense it's 4 legs with a head and torso. Their positioning is quite flexible, lending itself to certain action shots and dynamic poses, such as when one sticks a leg out to the side (slightly kneeling) to get a shot at a passing object. Unlike a car or a plane, the subject is a hulking, lumbering metal giant that evokes a sort of prehistoric terror. In a way, an AT-AT is itself a unique villain in ESB.

Last edited:

I like anything AT-AT and AT-ST. The idea is the Master Replicas already made 2 studio scale AT-AT versions, a signature one with a diorama base included. Not sure if Sideshow can get the license to do something similar. As for a smaller diorama since these are large vehicles, the smaller you make them the most you lose in details. If you make them smaller they might be in Action Fleet or even Titanium/DeAgostini size, and that is quite small. Code 3 is supposed to had plans to make a smaller AT-AT with opening hatches like they did with their AT-ST. But Code 3 lost the Star Wars license.

I like anything AT-AT and AT-ST. The idea is the Master Replicas already made 2 studio scale AT-AT versions, a signature one with a diorama base included. Not sure if Sideshow can get the license to do something similar. As for a smaller diorama since these are large vehicles, the smaller you make them the most you lose in details. If you make them smaller they might be in Action Fleet or even Titanium/DeAgostini size, and that is quite small. Code 3 is supposed to had plans to make a smaller AT-AT with opening hatches like they did with their AT-ST. But Code 3 lost the Star Wars license.

You make some good points. Licensing never occurred to me. Is that your AT-AT? Looks nice!

BTW, is that the little remote controlled AT-AT from micro machines in the lower right corner? I have one of those laying around somewhere.

You make some good points. Licensing never occurred to me. Is that your AT-AT? Looks nice!

Thanks. That is my MR AT-AT indeed (you can see more pics here). There were discussions about a new AT-AT in the Millennium Falcon Precision Cast thread on Rebelscum. eFX didn't confirm anything (especially because they cannot confirm the future of the PC Falcon for now either), but seems that fans were interested in this cool walker in a cheaper and smaller line than the big studio scale.

How about the entire Echo base with all the AT-ATs (one collapsed) on the field with little snowspeeders flying around? Something closer to the scale we saw in "This is no Cave"?

When I first saw ESB, the AT-ATs were one of my favorite parts of that movie - loved the driver's suit too. I still think they look great, but just to geek out for a second, what idiot would design such a useless military vehicle? I mean really, its a giant slow moving crab that is anything but all terrain. The thing cannot even turn around without a 1/4 of a mile and fifteen minutes to kill and what is stored in that huge belly space that requires such a monstrous size to begin with? What benefit are the feet vs the whole levitation technology we see all the way back in Phantom Menace with Yoda's little chair... :huh

Misleading thread title. Mod! Do your thang!

I love the AT-AT but sure MR already kind of did this I wouldn't mind this variation with multiple AT-ATs!

Hell no he doesn't have issues. I thought the same thing. Thread needs a question mark.

I recognized that. I can't do anything about it or I would. If a mod wants to change it, it wouldn't bother me a bit. So, you guys can rail on me all you want, but I'd rather stay on topic now that we all know of the case of the missing questionmark. It's a valid complaint, I recognize that as well. And, if you don't have an interest in the topic fine. But, a little maturity and social graces go a long way.

Last edited:

IMO,,, Master Replicas already did this one perfectly.
StarWarsMD_026-vi.jpg

Nice setup!

I knew MR was doing the saber replicas but didn't know they did an AT-AT. I'm new to the collectibles world and it's nice to see there's good enthusiasm among these companies to make nice stuff.

:lol if you're trying to avoid pointless you're in the wrong place.

:lol if you're trying to avoid pointless you're in the wrong place.

I don't know. There's clearly not much interest in my idea. But, I'm glad some of you responded with some images of your stuff. Even the way they are arranged show a certain creativity and style I can appreciate.

The collectibles themselves are nice, but how they're displayed can be just as important. I know during this last SSC Spooktacular I enjoyed coming across pictures of peoples collections. There's a saying that you can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear. I think the same can apply to what I see in those photos.

Back