1/6 Sideshow 1/6th Scale Star Wars Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speederbike Hasbro
attachment.php

Speederbike SSC
attachment.php

Its obvious. For a Star Wars fanatic like me, Hasbro is just way off. Can't believe how small the 2 front top vertical fin on Hasbro.

Here's my take for a replacement stand.

SpeederBikeStand_zpsee02fee1.jpg

10mm clear acrylic base with a solid clear acrylic rod. Rod dimension to be confirm.

Fortunately. The rod can be inserted vertically into the bike. See red circled area.

The card can be fix flat on the base also.

As long as the slot on the bike isn't at a slant a well... kind of hard to tell on the Sideshow pics.

As long as the slot on the bike isn't at a slant a well... kind of hard to tell on the Sideshow pics.

Its vertical. You can see the joint from the enlarge image I inserted. I believe Sideshow is trying to minimized the cost for the base by moving the bottom part of the support's center of gravity.

Its obvious. For a Star Wars fanatic like me, Hasbro is just way off. Can't believe how small the 2 front top vertical fin on Hasbro.

The Hasbro bike is not way off at all (I have it in-hand,) but the SSC one is going to be realistically painted/weathered and have a really intricate level of detail on cables, handlebars, mechanics etc.. None of these things the Hasbro one comes close to matching. And yeah, the SSC sculpt will end up being 100% vs the Hasbro's 90%.

For a "centerpiece" type display of Scout/Bike, the SSC one is really essential. At this point, I plan to just have the SSC Scout on the Hasbro bike as part of an "Imperials" display, though I may end up caving and getting the SSC bike.

I will say though - the Hasbro bike can be posed angled (as seen in the pic) whereas it doesn't seem the SSC one can.

Here's my take for a replacement stand.

View attachment 134624

10mm clear acrylic base with a solid clear acrylic rod. Rod dimension to be confirm.

Fortunately. The rod can be inserted vertically into the bike. See red circled area.

The card can be fix flat on the base also.

That seems like a lot of cantilever for a 10mm rod - I'd be a little worried about that over time. The probe droid was just sitting directly above the clear rod so no strain, but this bike hangs out horizontally a long way.

That seems like a lot of cantilever for a 10mm rod - I'd be a little worried about that over time. The probe droid was just sitting directly above the clear rod so no strain, but this bike hangs out horizontally a long way.

I have a hunch the supplied support is solid plastic with reinforcement. If its a brass tubing. It might be too costly cut, weld, sanded and painted.

I have a hunch the supplied support is solid plastic with reinforcement. If its a brass tubing. It might be too costly cut, weld, sanded and painted.

SSC's Probe Droid support is 3/8" steel tube (pretty thin walled) painted gloss block. However, PD weighs nothing and sits right up on top. The bike could be surprisingly light also, but given the cantilever, I would guess the support might be slightly different to the PD.

PD was a very simple swap with clear tube, doing a clear tube for the bike will be a little more complex.

Kind of ironically in Australia due to rarity/availability the hasbro bike and scout sold for the $300 mark and that was 10-13years ago. I almost bought it a couple of times for that price but held out for years until I found them on eBay for $100.. So the ssc version isn't to bad bad when I look at it that way.

Yep, comparing new stuff at retail vs older stuff at secondary market prices often makes the new prices seem 'reasonable'. I'm glad I ordered the bike but have to say that the Hasbro is surprisingly nice.

Like the idea of your clear stand, Jun A. Think the bike and figure might overwhelm the rod, though, with that huge differential. Hopefully something can be figured out, as a clear stand would be ideal. I'm undecided at the moment if I would want a really stripped down display for these or if I'll try and create a mini-Endor environment. Thinking the stock stand would be less noticeable in a woodland setting.

I'm happy to engineer a new stand and rod if someone will donate a speeder and trooper. I'll throw in some lights and sounds while I'm at it.

Like the idea of your clear stand, Jun A. Think the bike and figure might overwhelm the rod, though, with that huge differential.

I'm gambling on this one. A short rod is harder to bend then a long rod? Anybody got a spare clear rod for experimenting?

You can also cut and solvent weld two pieces together. As strong or stronger than a single piece.

I'm happy to engineer a new stand and rod if someone will donate a speeder and trooper. I'll throw in some lights and sounds while I'm at it.
Funny you mention that. :D I was actually wondering if you'd be able to rig something up. Basically a long tube from the main cannon, that would create a shooting laser effect (say inch or two strip of light that would travel from one end of tube to the other). Not sure if possible or how good it would look in reality, though. Speed of the 'bolt' would have to be just right and one wouldn't want it to be continuous or it'd look too repetitive.

Other idea I was thinking of was independent CCFL bolts on a small T stand that could be placed inline with the cannon and just stay on when powered up (idea being it would look like a snapshot of bike firing the cannon). Anyway, don't want to derail the thread, but thought I'd post as I've been pondering whether any kind of laser effect would look cool or not.

Other idea I was thinking of was independent CCFL bolts on a small T stand that could be placed inline with the cannon and just stay on

The dimmers have a strobe/flash mode with adjustable speed that can produce some pretty cool effects. That could work. The way the CCFL bulbs light up, you can sometimes actually see the light extend from one end to the other, like a saber (or laser) is growing/moving. Pretty cool.

The dimmers have a strobe/flash mode with adjustable speed that can produce some pretty cool effects. That could work. The way the CCFL bulbs light up, you can sometimes actually see the light extend from one end to the other, like a saber (or laser) is growing/moving. Pretty cool.
Sounds like the beginnings of a project! :D

Anyone knows? Does the stand allow bike to row, pitch and yaw?:D
Wish Sideshow were more explicit about that but it sure doesn't look like it. For me the lack of mobility of the stand is probably the only thing I'm disappointed with (guessing there are good design reasons for this, but still...). Allowing the bike to be posed like you describe would add a lot of personality to the display.

Back