Sideshow 1/6 R5-D4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one of my favorites and proves that Sideshow can really "bring it" when they want to.

R5.jpg

He's not under-scaled. Not sure why people are saying that. The body is the same one they used for R2-D2, which is perfectly in scale with the rest of their 12" figures.

I believe the general consensus is that the Sideshow R2-D2 is a little underscaled. And so by extension, the other astromechs as well. Not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable if you look for it.

It is overall a bit smaller than the Hot Toys and Tamashii R2-D2 figures. Noticeably so when they're lined up.

It's one of my favorites and proves that Sideshow can really "bring it" when they want to.

View attachment 458057

I really love how this one came out. I always take some time and appreciate it in the display case at my local collectable store. I would have made the purchase but I just don't have a place or purpose for it in my collection.

He's not under-scaled. Not sure why people are saying that. The body is the same one they used for R2-D2, which is perfectly in scale with the rest of their 12" figures.

I believe the general consensus is that the Sideshow R2-D2 is a little underscaled. And so by extension, the other astromechs as well. Not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable if you look for it.

It is overall a bit smaller than the Hot Toys and Tamashii R2-D2 figures. Noticeably so when they're lined up.

Yeah, I did a bunch of comps back when I was looking at buying it and it came in about 15% underscale to me, both in height but also girth/width. And yeah, SSC R2 is also. As we discussed back then, it seems like too-tall "scary" Vaders and too-small "cute" R2's seem to be an LFL mandate. Even the Hasbro 6" R2 is noticeably underscale - so many companies wouldn't make the same "mistake."

That being said, there is some slight variation in size of OT R2 (depending on what he needed to do,) but unfortunately the most commonly used one is the bigger one. And there was obviously only one R5, and was based on the bigger ANH body type.

There's still things you can do like splaying the figure next to him a bit to make that human fig seem a bit shorter (like in the standing Luke figure shown below,) and it's a gorgeously finished figure. But this size issue was what stopped me from getting both the SSC black DS R2s as well. Really pretty frustrating.

These comp pics are slightly rough and far from perfect comps, but you get the idea. He's just a little short but in some ways more importantly not wide/fat enough (ie the fig's "volume" isn't enough):

DPPYckp.jpg

T4NDBC3.jpg

View attachment 458057

Great pic that shows how gorgeous the finish and detailing on this fig is.:clap

Yeah, I'm bummed I missed this one. I think Hobbylink Japan had them for sale not long ago, but shipping was going to be a killer.
Still looking, though...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

If anyone is still looking. Someone posted a boxed one for sale on the Sideshow Collectibles BST Facebook group an hour ago for $125. Seller is Justice Cury if anyone wants to search on there.

Just got these two for $200 shipped. These feel like a pretty good value at that pricepoint.

I really am not sure the HT one will see release and it has some inaccuracies - and it's likely it'll be in the $160-180 range. Probably too much for what it is.

I do see what people are saying about R5 - it's a pretty spectacular figure. It is like Tarkin in that it has that "onscreen character shrunken down to 1/6" thing going on - like you're literally holding the onscreen character in your hand it's so realistic. I will be fixing the eyes (so they are more like little mushrooms than just tubes) and also adding the big wheels under the feet that he rolls on - it makes him read as more the right height.

I'm planning to make two Hoth astromechs (black head R5 and clear dome R2) to go with these.

btJQlKN.jpg

Just got these two for $200 shipped. These feel like a pretty good value at that pricepoint.

I really am not sure the HT one will see release and it has some inaccuracies - and it's likely it'll be in the $160-180 range. Probably too much for what it is.

I do see what people are saying about R5 - it's a pretty spectacular figure. It is like Tarkin in that it has that "onscreen character shrunken down to 1/6" thing going on - like you're literally holding the onscreen character in your hand it's so realistic. I will be fixing the eyes (so they are more like little mushrooms than just tubes) and also adding the big wheels under the feet that he rolls on - it makes him read as more the right height.

I'm planning to make two Hoth astromechs (black head R5 and clear dome R2) to go with these.

Congrats on acquiring these two and for a good deal as well. I think Sideshow did a great job with R5. I wouldn't mind picking up the other droids for a similar deal.

Still kicking myself for not nabbing this one when it was initially available. The figure looks amazing.

The refraction of light on the R4 looks neat.

Congrats on acquiring these two and for a good deal as well. I think Sideshow did a great job with R5. I wouldn't mind picking up the other droids for a similar deal.

Still kicking myself for not nabbing this one when it was initially available. The figure looks amazing.

:hi5:

Yeah, the R5 took me by surprise. It looks hyper real for some reason. They nailed the sculpt but also there's something about the paint that is WAY better than the SSC R2, which looks fine (and looks much better if you take rubbing alcohol to the dome) but doesn't have the same level of realness.

I'll post some pics once I've added the big wheels to the feet.

I didn't really seek the black R5 figure out but it's a very cool looking figure. Really adds to my Imperial display. What is kind of funny is there are three black R5s I've found in ref pics and this one seems to be a combination of elements from all three but is not a match to any of them. There do seem to be more than three black R5s in the ROTJ DS scene, so more than possible this is a match to one of those others.

The black headed Hoth R5 (black R5 head on white R2 body with blue details) I always kind of liked, so excited to get that together.

Those two do look really good together. I'll be curious to see your mod with the larger wheels underneath, as I was planning to do the same with mine. And also hopefully weathering him up to look a bit more like the fantastic proto.

btJQlKN.jpg

Nice score dude!

Looking forward to seeing your custom R5 units.

Nice score dude!

Looking forward to seeing your custom R5 units.

Yeah, everyone's happier if you can get a deal... including wives. Still getting over the price of the new Sideshow Jabba - it came to $666 ironically - which is what all 1/6 collectible pricing is.:lol

it's hard to get good ref for the innards of the clear dome r2's so I may just rely on what Hasbro did on their 4" versions. The Hoth R5 is pretty simple, though I'm using a Taito body so I have to fix the feet.

Those two do look really good together. I'll be curious to see your mod with the larger wheels underneath, as I was planning to do the same with mine. And also hopefully weathering him up to look a bit more like the fantastic proto.

This is where I'm at with the wheels. The wheels look slightly bigger or slightly smaller depending on the ref pic angle and lighting so I went for a size that's somewhere in the middle. These are just 1/3 wheel segments that have a little plastic fin that slides into the gap alongside the existing roller wheels. So they stay in but it doesn't require glue or destroying the under-foot area. What's good is that it raises R5 to the height he is for his active scenes of rolling out and blowing his top.

I'm still thinking about modding the middle leg as it's not supposed to have the regular third leg detailing - more just a smooth look - but every other form of R5 (Imperial, Hoth base etc) do have the R2 type detailing, so I'm probably okay leaving it be. It seems like it was intended to have the detailing, but they must have had to use a simpler version for practical reasons. I may paint that silver/blue pipe on the third leg white though.

That super-bright look to the blue in the screencap is just the CGI color change they did.

pk5Mj6c.jpg

btJQlKN.jpg

Nice score Talibane. I recall also getting these guys a while back in one of Sideshows sales. Paid $125 and $110 with free shipping. Was always happy with them.

Get a few Jawas around R5-D4 and he'll look even better.

I believe I decided to have R5-J2 as an Imperial Tie droid. Plan is to have my SS Tie Fighter pilot and R5-J2 facing off against X-Wing pilot Luke and R2. Ideally with a scaled model X-Wing and Tie Fighter hanging in the background.

Back