Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the lights are great. I've fixed the fragile top panel and recovered from the 'cheap plastic rage'' I had upon opening it. I had to wait until I had some discount codes to pick this one up, with the already silly price and the bad Aussie dollar it wasn't worth getting.

No stand either. Would have like a raised one so I can leave my Tamashii Threepio on its stand, they should've left all that other junk out. Ha ha, This R2 did my head in today.:lol

Do wish they hadn't cheaped out on R2. He really deserved a $200+ price point and detailed, quality release. I haven't had the figure in-hand but from descriptions have a pretty good feeling of what it's like. Seems perfect for R5, since I'll set and forget him in a display with Jawas, but R2 needs to be sturdier. Hopefully HT will release an TFA version.

If you glue the doors down you can fling him across a 20 foot room and he'll be OK. That's how I test all my 1/6 figures.

If I could change one thing on R2 it would be to make him larger - that added size is really the only miss, IMO.

Yes, I should've mentioned that, too. I was a little bit concerned about that when picking up R5, but I figured I'll never notice as he should look fine relative to the Jawas (and as much as I like that droid, I don't need a $250 super accurate version). That definitely needs to be corrected, so hopefully HT finally addresses that. I'm also thinking about stuff like a spun aluminium dome, etc. Since being a kid I've never liked painted silver being a stand-in for a metal finish.

Last edited:
Yup, a little weathering goes a long way. :)

IMG_1948_zpsrwxlbzc7.jpg

IMG_1934_zpsvakvyfqw.jpg

IMG_1937_zpszaoainjg.jpg

:duff

Workin? Lights definitely help with this figure. Also not sure if you customize at all but if you go some way back to when people were first getting these there's some great results people got by removing some of the weathering on the dome with isopropyl alcohol. Makes it shine a but more and makes the weathering look nice and grimy rather than flat even weathering. I'll try to dig up a photo or two.

Just searched "alcohol" and found this fantastic one from Kamandi. Love how this looks.

I'm glad you like it. I did a few things to get it to that point. I used a torn up sponge with nice big pores to dab away some but not all of the factory grime layer. I then used oil paint and turpenoid to apply a few layers of wash. There's also some brush applied speckle going on.

^^ Yeah, Marker did an awesome job on that.

I get all the "flimsy" criticisms, but at the end of the day the only thing I don't like is that 10% undersize thing. I have R5 on order because I figured the taller head might mask that issue a bit, and that it's not a really expensive fig (only in context.)

I know this has probably been addressed already, but I haven't been on this forum in months...my R2 dome has been replaced 4 times due to lights not working, etc. Now my 4th dome doesn't work. I bought brand new energizer batteries for it and it worked for a day. Now, a day later, the lights won't turn on. Has anyone else experienced this? Sideshow told me that the batteries they use are cheap and if I replace them with good ones, it'll work. It doesn't.

You know about the touch panel to turn on the lights, right? (rhetorical) That's pretty nuts. I've had a couple different R2 units with no problem. I think I had one come with the batteries in the wrong way, or for some reason when I put the batteries back in it started working again.

Ouch. 2 of the domes had broken parts like projector lens pushed in, etc...all I'm doing is pressing the touch sensor to turn them on and off.

OK, broken parts is something else - you said in your original post "lights not working." Lights not working on 4 domes is statistically improbable.

Can you test the batteries to see if they still have power? Do you have another set to try in the dome?

OK, broken parts is something else - you said in your original post "lights not working." Lights not working on 4 domes is statistically improbable.

Can you test the batteries to see if they still have power? Do you have another set to try in the dome?

I don't have tester, and I'd have to buy another set. The batteries were brand new. How could they be out of power after turning the lights on and off 3 times? This is what happened with 2 of the other domes.

You won't know and you won't be able to answer those questions without testing.

Someone else can point it out or dig to find anything, but the only reports of lighting issues I recall at the moment were dead batteries and not knowing where the capacitive touch switch were.

Back