Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the panel doors are loose and there's been about 7 or 8 people (maybe more, just trying not to hype up) reporting that their Life Scanner doesn't stay up.

But as far as him just standing there and looking cool, it's great.

But generally, paint & assembly quality are cool?

Cool idea, KD. I need to nab a couple of those stands.

Also I'm going to get rid of that silver bit on the main eye.

Yeah, me too. Please share when you do. Id like to know what color you used. Id also be willing to take a staple at the silver to try to replicate the brushed aluminum look but I dont know how to go about it.

The body I used a q-tip and left the grime in the corners and recesses.

Exactly what I wanted to do. Yours looks absolutely fantastic.

But how did you get the "beading" of grime on the dome? Did it just do that once you started dabbing? Its like some of the grime piled together in places. And it turned out great.

Last edited:
Exactly what I wanted to do. Yours looks absolutely fantastic.

But how did you get the "beading" of grime on the dome? Did it just do that once you stared dabbing? Its like some of the grime piled together in places. And it turned out great.
Yeah, he really hit the sweet spot with the grime, didnt he. Looks perfect.

Yeah, he really hit the sweet spot with the grime, didnt he. Looks perfect.

It sure does. I love the piling of grime on the left side of the center eye area (right side of the picture). Looks like even more than would have been there, that's why I wonder is some of the grime collected together in areas.

I don't know about anyone else, nor what comments will follow, but DAMN! That looks awesome. Bar none, the best looking example of this figure I have seen so far. By a mile.

Yeah. I noticed that too. The alcohol makes it look a lot better. Wait-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. It really didn't bead so much as I used a cheap blue kitchen sponge and tore it so it has an irregular shape and some nice big pores. I dabbed away until I was happy and added a few spots back in with the q-tips that were dirty from the white panels. The "dirt" is workable for a short time. I tried to not get anything completely clean. You always want a few spots of dirt.

image.jpg

Can some one give me some help/hint?
This door(circled in yellow) on my R2 is very loose.
Any ideas,not returning it,how to make it so it doesn't fly open when I move him?
I don't want to bend or try to flatten it too much...it might snap.
Any help or tips would be great.

Thanks guys. It really didn't bead so much as I used a cheap blue kitchen sponge and tore it so it has an irregular shape and some nice big pores. I dabbed away until I was happy and added a few spots back in with the q-tips that were dirty from the white panels. The "dirt" is workable for a short time. I tried to not get anything completely clean. You always want a few spots of dirt.

Ah-ha, you did add. I thought so. But it looks perfect. I want to copy you. That's why I asked. :)

So no wiping. Dabbing. Dab. The dabster. Dabbity-Do.

Damn. My cleaner R2 will look better alongside shiny 3PO, but Kamandi's treatment is the better stand-alone portrait imo. Two of these would've been nice :)

Love R2 overall, but I'm still bothered by it being a tad too short next to my Tama 3PO...
My solution: I'm going to replace the foot rollers with larger ones that will add some extra height. As it is now, the rollers don't quite lift R2 high enough off the floor to be screen-accurate. I think I can safely add about 3/16" to the existing height of the rollers. I know 3/16" doesn't sound like it would make a difference, but I think it will- when looking at the top of R2's head right next to the waist section of C-3PO.

Im not bothered by the scale at all on this. I have to let it go or it will drive me batty. Vader isnt perfectly in scale, neither is Ben, Luke..... Its close enough. Medi on the other hand is completely unacceptable and I wouldn't even bear it.

The life scanner probably would have been better as an attachment like the arm attachments. Way too short as is, plus it's annoying to use, requiring flipping R2 over or using tweezers.

Ah-ha, you did add. I thought so. But it looks perfect. I want to copy you. That's why I asked. :)

So no wiping. Dabbing. Dab. The dabster. Dabbity-Do.

Glad you liked it. The best part is if you make a mistake it comes right off.

Post pics when you're done.

Back