Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Grinchy! Sideshows R2 does the job for me too. I have mine paired with his counterpart C3PO also a Sideshow piece.

Sideshow's rendition is a nice one. I too have it displayed with SS's 3PO on one of Coco's great bases/stands. It will stay there, even though I have the Hot Toys deluxe version on the way. I'll display the HT one alone, with all of the arms extended, just to show them off.

R2D2 and C3PO.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sticking with this one too. Honestly the light up feature being weird on the HT and all the various batteries required sounds a little off putting. But then again this one drains the batteries even when it's off if I remember right.

Thanks guys, thought I'd get told off for necro posting,:)
That sideshow 3P0 looks good, he is on the list, thanks for the encouragement, and pics!

I ordered my SSC R2-D2 with the slated October-November release window :)

I'm very much looking forward to this figure. While not quite as sturdy looking as the HT, I was able to snag this guy for just $80. Considering how expensive the HT Artoo is in Europe, I really feel like I couldn't beat this price by a long shot.

I also prefer that on the SSC Version you can have the lights on, but the holo projector off. It's a small nitpick, but really a lot better for me.

Let's see if he actually re-releases by November :D

I don’t know, for me this figure was fine until I got the Hot Toys version. The Hot Toys version while more expensive is far superior. It was very much a case where Sideshow’s felt like a toy, and Hot Toys’ felt like a collectible.

It’s too bad Hit Toys doesn’t keep runs of R2 going as he’s a piece that I can see someone always picking up. That’s one smart thing Sideshow is doing with their’s is keeping him in production.

The Hot Toys version is superior, without a doubt. The price is reflected there, as well.

But I've seen the Sideshow version with the dome modification (refinishing) that looks very nice. For $80 bucks, it's a no-brainer.

I have the Hot Toys version with all of the arms displayed. I have two of the Sideshow versions. One with my Dagobah/Bespin Luke and the other waiting to be displayed with the Jabba Sail Barge serving set. Can't go wrong.

They’d be using the same tooling for these re-releases wouldn’t they, so the issue of the dome seam remains? One day I’m going to get around to modifying mine, it’s been in the box for years ‘cause of that seam. 80 bucks is a good deal. I picked up the Tama when it came out but I wish I’d been able to pick up a HT version as well.

I have two of the HT R2s (the better/non-yellowy DX version) and two of the Sideshow R2s and I really do think the SSC holds up pretty well.

I love the crispness of the white and blue on the HT, but with a wipe of rubbing alcohol I think the SSC dome can look close to as good as the HT metal dome (which doesn't look quite as metallic under natural daylight vs spotlights.)

I never understood the loathing of the SSC R2 and the near uniform love of the HT. Some of that was deserved due to the floppy hatches on the SSC, but the "the HT feels nice and heavy" argument (heavier = "quality collectible", lighter = "cheap plastic" or even "metal = quality") is nonsense.

I have two of the HT R2s (the better/non-yellowy DX version) and two of the Sideshow R2s and I really do think the SSC holds up pretty well.

I love the crispness of the white and blue on the HT, but with a wipe of rubbing alcohol I think the SSC dome can look close to as good as the HT metal dome (which doesn't look quite as metallic under natural daylight vs spotlights.)

I never understood the loathing of the SSC R2 and the near uniform love of the HT. Some of that was deserved due to the floppy hatches on the SSC, but the "the HT feels nice and heavy" argument (heavier = "quality collectible", lighter = "cheap plastic" or even "metal = quality") is nonsense.

I think that's just a nature of the hobby. SS got into some deep doodoo with statue collectors when they made a few PFs out of plastic instead of polystone ergo the statues "felt cheap" since they weren't heavy.

With that said, I'm glad this thread popped up as I've been considering getting this if my WL for the HT doesn't convert.

I'm not sure if people are necessarily equating weight with quality tho, just enjoying the aesthetics of a figure's tactility. If the sculpt or paint is poor, more heft won't make it a better figure... but all things being equal I like the feel of a heavier figure over a lighter one.

A lot of it does come down to the Hot Toys version feeling more solid to me. It just feels like a better put together, quality item versus chintzy plastic. It isn’t just that though. The dome looks better easily and the compartments aren’t constantly flying open with the slightest touch.

Guess it depends on how much a collector "plays" with their R2. My SS R2 doors are certainly loose, but if I'm not moving him around, the doors stay where they are supposed to. Holds poses just fine. The Hot Toys might be better, but it wasn't better enough to be worth an upgrade, particularly with the wonky light-up feature. The SS R2 is one of the few figures where I use the light feature on a regular basis...

Has anyone had to fix the lights on Sideshow R2?

I brought a cheap one where the lights weren't working, and after some poking and prodding the wires and circuit boards, I managed to get them to come on. :)

Can't seem to get the projector light to work or the lights to turn off by pressing the dome button as per the instructions though. Do you have to press in a particular spot and/or quite firmly?

Has anyone had to fix the lights on Sideshow R2?

I brought a cheap one where the lights weren't working, and after some poking and prodding the wires and circuit boards, I managed to get them to come on. :)

Can't seem to get the projector light to work or the lights to turn off by pressing the dome button as per the instructions though. Do you have to press in a particular spot and/or quite firmly?

There is a touch sensitive panel to your left. On mine, you barely have to touch the panel for the lights to come on.

One press turns on lights. Second turns on projector. Third turns off.

Yeah, I’ve been pressing that panel but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Not sure if I’m doing it right or there’s another problem with the electronics

My light up sensor on my R2D2 seem to work for atleast 10 seconds and not respond at all after that to turn it off i have to manually remove the head and switch it off

Back