Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint apps/colors much better. Looks like a metal dome.

Better shade of blue too. Really nice.

Wish they'd gotten it right the first time around.

:slap

Yup... In-hand, the dome is actually really metallic and the deeper blue really pops!!

Damn, that actually looks amazing now, and even more impressive than the HT versions. Might have to consider picking this up at some point (and hope I don't have to go through the same hassle you did).

If you go for it, make sure to let them know you want the new version as it seems they still have quite a few old stock to get rid of...

Thanks for the great comparison pics of the two. The new one definitely has much better paint apps between the weathering and the deeper blue.

Time to order the new one, then send back the old one? :monkey3

:lol

But seriously, I'd be mad at how much nicer the new v2 is if we didn't see HT was finally doing a proper R2. I'll either sell him off, or I'll keep him and display him with his drinking tray and display him with my SS v1 Jabba & throne. That is at least one day when I finally display him. Never had room to open him. It'll be a sad display of older SS figures. :(

Yup, old one's already on Ebay… Kind of a shame... R2 was the first 1/6 figure I bought... That's where the madness began!!

I'm guessing the new HT R2 will be impressive as well and maybe worth getting too for a different diorama, but this one really does a great job...
I'm wondering if SSC will now update Threepio as well? Maybe fix those damn thumbs while they're at it? :pray:

Yeah definitely a nice improvement...are the seams gone too? And may i ask what Falcon is that?:)

Yup, seams all gone as far as I can tell... And it's the DeAgostini 32" Studio Scale ESB Falcon (see below), painted by my own fair hand!!

(BTW, Matrix, your pics and poses are consistently incredible... You're an inspiration!!)

101.jpg

Thanks for the great comparison pics of the two. The new one definitely has much better paint apps between the weathering and the deeper blue.

Time to order the new one, then send back the old one? :monkey3

:lol

But seriously, I'd be mad at how much nicer the new v2 is if we didn't see HT was finally doing a proper R2. I'll either sell him off, or I'll keep him and display him with his drinking tray and display him with my SS v1 Jabba & throne. That is at least one day when I finally display him. Never had room to open him. It'll be a sad display of older SS figures. :(

Good idea on the Jabba display. When the hot toys hits, I may move r2 to hang on my yoda dx bespin Luke detolf shelf. He will fit in there. I’m really running out of room. 90% if the old ss figs are going on eBay this summer.

Jeez, all those times they've had those $25 discounts off in stock items, and I had no use for them. Now when I'd like to use one they're nowhere to be found. :lol

Just enter one of the contests... You'll get an instant $25 code just for entering and R2 is in the list of eligible items...

The new paint app looks cool - I only ever really had a problem with the seam and the finish on the dome, but they've fixed that and found a nicer blue too.

Old SS R2 is kinda sad :(

Yup, seams all gone as far as I can tell... And it's the DeAgostini 32" Studio Scale ESB Falcon (see below), painted by my own fair hand!!

(BTW, Matrix, your pics and poses are consistently incredible... You're an inspiration!!)

View attachment 420399

Why thank you kindly...we're all here to inspire each other:)

Great paint job on that Falcon...it's a beautiful looking piece...I have the old Hasbro legacy version from yesteryear....but would love a studio scaled version...maybe one day..

Again hats off to SS for that seamless metal looking dome...dare i say it looks better than Tamashii's..

After first sending me original old stock...
Then sending me new stock but completely broken and faulty...
Finally, 3 weeks later, my version 2 has arrived!!:yess:

And yes, it's night and day between the two... Massive improvement!!
Updated HT-style artbox with slipcard too!!

Kudos to Ozzel and his eagle-eyes for the heads-up on this :duff

V1 left - V2 right:

View attachment 420361

View attachment 420362

View attachment 420363

View attachment 420364

View attachment 420365

View attachment 420366

View attachment 420367

View attachment 420368

Love the comparison pics and I’m super happy for anyone that gets to snag this upgrade. I love the figure. The flaps still pop open but the paint apps are great.

I am looking forward to snagging the diecast OT Hot Toys R2 as well but this Sideshow redux is (IMO) superior to Hot Toys initial offering when considering price and accessories.

I made a quick diorama and had to throw the new R2 in there.
01e5f54f5c4c788259a4f6132abad956.jpg

a6e05bed574b09b48b959e2289b269f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the comparison pics and I’m super happy for anyone that gets to snag this upgrade. I love the figure. The flaps still pop open but the paint apps are great.

I am looking forward to snagging the diecast OT Hot Toys R2 as well but this Sideshow redux is (IMO) superior to Hot Toys initial offering when considering price and accessories.

I made a quick diorama and had to throw the new R2 in there.
01e5f54f5c4c788259a4f6132abad956.jpg

a6e05bed574b09b48b959e2289b269f1.jpg

Well damn! I can’t imagine what it would look like if you actually put some decent time into it!!!

That’s awesome. And R2 looks amazing.

Well damn! I can’t imagine what it would look like if you actually put some decent time into it!!!

That’s awesome. And R2 looks amazing.

Thank you. Always looking for new ways to enjoy the hobby. Some day i’ll spring for a camera but these early releases by Hot Toys are killing me. Ha.

I am super pleased with how easy it is to take pics of the SS redux R2.

Trying to decide at the moment if I should go for this new V2 or wait for the ROTJ R2...

I like the slightly bigger and wider body on the HT, but I don't care for the color blue they chose at all and the metal dome still looks a bit too dark to me. The new SS on the other hand looks great but the proportions are still a bit off and I'm sure it feels just as flimsy and plasticky as before.

Much like with Yoda, it seems like there is just no perfect option out there yet for R2.

Everything but the paint would be the same as V1, so the feel in-hand will be the same. For the price, and given the shortcomings of every other version, it's hard to go past this one I think.

Just got delivered. Had to pay 40 € duty. Quite heavy. That makes a total of 180 € incl. shipping. Still OK. Don't wanna know how much the HT R2 would cost me (and when it got released at all).
Will take some pictures later. Luke and his old friend are finally united :)

Back