Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My light up sensor on my R2D2 seem to work for atleast 10 seconds and not respond at all after that to turn it off i have to manually remove the head and switch it off

The same thing seems to have happened with my 3PO. They are a really cool "touch" switch type, but I guess some don't last in the long haul.

Even with fresh batteries it keeps doing that? I remember some weird issues when the batteries got low.

The lights and sounds on my TFA HT R2 got screwy where certain lights wouldn't work with the audio function or vise versa.

Yesterday I saw this in a local store at a fair price.

Sideshow V2 R2-D2. Indeed a very nice looking figure.

r2-d2.jpg

Attachments

• r2 vid.mp4
    813.3 KB
I actually just had this ship from SSC. I'm pretty excited to pair him with my clone wars shelf (Anakin, Kenobi, Rex, Cody, Ahsoka - soon, Yoda). Never had an R2 before he looks like a good value with all he comes with.

Out of all the figs that unfairly got hate upon first release (and yeah that's a pretty long list, even including the DX07,) I think this one is near the top of the list.

I have two of the HT DX R2s and two of these and - with the isopropyl wipe of the dome completed - I think the SSC R2s hold up reasonably well next to the HT R2s.

The spot-on colors and crispness of the sculpt/paint makes the HT pop more, but as a slighty further back in the display R2, the SSC version still shines, especially in Jabba drinks tray mode, which I've loved since day one.

Out of all the figs that unfairly got hate upon first release (and yeah that's a pretty long list, even including the DX07,) I think this one is near the top of the list.

I have two of the HT DX R2s and two of these and - with the isopropyl wipe of the dome completed - I think the SSC R2s hold up reasonably well next to the HT R2s.

The spot-on colors and crispness of the sculpt/paint makes the HT pop more, but as a slighty further back in the display R2, the SSC version still shines, especially in Jabba drinks tray mode, which I've loved since day one.
The V2 improves him a lot

I like it very much.

IMG20220428214227.jpg

The V2 improves him a lot

I like it very much.

View attachment 574540
Wow, that’s definitely a nice-looking R2. Love the mud weathering. Definitely considering picking up a second R2 up as he’s one that fits in so many different displays. I’m not usually one for picking multiples of the same figures, unless they’re troopers.

I'm going to buy him on May 4th if he's part of their "in stock" 25% off sale. SS typically has all or most of their figures on sale during this event and I need an R2 since I was dumb and waited too long on the Hot Toys, plus the newer version is looking pretty great. Hoping he's got free shipping for that day as well. Might even grab Threepio as well.

I'm going to buy him on May 4th if he's part of their "in stock" 25% off sale. SS typically has all or most of their figures on sale during this event and I need an R2 since I was dumb and waited too long on the Hot Toys, plus the newer version is looking pretty great. Hoping he's got free shipping for that day as well. Might even grab Threepio as well.
Excuse me sir, but that R2-D2 is in prime condition, a real bargain...

(A great display when paired to their C3PO, as well.)

That's a really good call, I'm going to do the same thing. Combined with reward points it's a cheap way to pick up an extra R2. It's weird I nearly pulled the trigger on a second hand one the other night before popping onto the board and seeing the activity on this thread, I had no idea they'd re-released him. Already having a Hot Toys R2 I don't think I'd choose another Hot Toys version over this right now, the sail-barge drinks accessory and holo table make this more appealing than whether or nor it has a diecast dome.

So forgive my ignorance, but how is the rerelease different? I got what I assume is the original in a trade, years ago, but now I'm curious thanks to FOMO.

So forgive my ignorance, but how is the rerelease different? I got what I assume is the original in a trade, years ago, but now I'm curious thanks to FOMO.
Paint is a bit different - the blue is more intense (more in line with the brighter/lighter "CGI repaint" vs the darker blue of the original movies) plus there is more brownish weathering on the lower leg areas. The original V.1 had more of a (slightly blah) uniform greyish overspray over the whole body and dome for weathering. This V.1 weathering had the effect of taking away much of the dome's metallic sheen.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. I guess I should've waited, but I had $25 off coupon that was going to expire, so I went ahead and used it on this figure.

Paint is a bit different - the blue is more intense (more in line with the brighter/lighter "CGI repaint" vs the darker blue of the original movies) plus there is more brownish weathering on the lower leg areas. The original V.1 had more of a (slightly blah) uniform greyish overspray over the whole body and dome for weathering. This V.1 weathering had the effect of taking away much of the dome's metallic sheen.

Thanks!

If HT ever makes a Mando one, I wonder if it'll have the "oopsie" tray attachment spikes on the shoulders from what I assume were the on-set prop shots, versus the unspiked CG version.

Got mine delivered from ssc yesterday and I’m pretty disappointed with it. Few issues with the top opening flaps. One didn’t open at all it just clicks down and sticks there. The middle wheel leg is a pain to click up and make it come down. When it is down it doesn’t go back up without forcing it. It’s not a smooth slot. One of the long front panels doesn’t close flush and sticks out like one on top of his head. I’ve sent pics and info to ssc so I’m waiting to hear back. I do want an r2 in my collection but feel with this one it’s a bit flimsy and flawed.

Oh and the lights don’t work properly. Got it to come on. One tap on then the two and three taps done nothing. Ended up trying to take the head off to switch off at the power. Instructions said align the lines. I couldn’t see any anywhere to line up but got lucky and got it apart. Bit of a mess really.

Last edited:
Had to ask SS for a repalcement dome. Mine has a dent and some scratches on the main eye. I also noticed one of the lights one the back of the dome isn't lighting how it's supposed to. Should be an easy replacement I hope.

As for differences between this one and the very first original release, aside from what's already been stated, I've found that the restraining bolt is more accurate and scaled properly on these newer versions compared to the original ones. I thankfully still have my original since it's the exclusive with the 3 extra arm attachment pieces so I have something to go off of.

Oh and the lights don’t work properly. Got it to come on. One tap on then the two and three taps done nothing. Ended up trying to take the head off to switch off at the power. Instructions said align the lines. I couldn’t see any anywhere to line up but got lucky and got it apart. Bit of a mess really.
There is a method to getting the dome off. There are 2 rings at the base of the dome that allow it swivel (the blue and the silver). If you hold those two rings firmly then twist the dome counterclockwise, you would feel it unlock, then you should be able to pull it off without issue. You get it back on by aligning two tabs on the underside of the dome with cut outs on a ring on the inside of the body. Once you plug it back in, you hold the blue and silver rings on the outside again and twist clockwise until you feel it lock again.

The panels are a bit finicky though. However, with the exception of the panel for the drink serving arm, mine thankfully stay closed this time around. On my original version from the very first release, none of the dome panels stayed closed and would just flop all over the place, with the periscope constantly just falling out.

That said, it might be better to just return yours if your lights aren't working properly and just wait on the AOTC one teased by HT. It will probably have almost everything the original version did except for the Leia holograms and the Degobah light. However, with the way prices have gone up, the HT one will probably end up being almost double the price of the Sideshow.

Last edited:
Back