Sideshow 1:6 Lando as Skiff Guard Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

Yeah, dave your paint skills are astounding.:clap

How did you end up getting the head out of the helmet? I left it in very hot water for a few minutes and the head and helmet "jaw" gets very soft and it did feel like you could maybe tear it out. Though it felt like you'd need to get pliers onto the hair to pull it out. If you use pliers it will mark the head, but I guess it's just on the hair. One other concern is the helmet "jaw" is pressed against the face so it will almost certainly scrape the face paint if you tear it out.

Actually the first thing I did was pop off the jaw piece (which actually wasn't hard to do), and then after heating the head for a while with a heat gun I slowly pryed the head out from the back with a screwdriver. It did gouge the inside of the helmet quite a bit, but the damage won't be visible so I can live with it.

I like how you reshaped the eyebrows. That helped to soften the expression.

Thanks, although if you look close the eyebrows are actually sculpted pretty realistically. The production painters simply ignored that and painted their own crazy looking eyebrows instead. Lol

Looking at the photos of your repaint, the stock head looks very flat without any color variation from top to bottom and the skin appears matte without much life. Your repaint gave this figure much more life, now let's see it on the body!:D

Well after a lot of effort I was finally able to pry the head out of the helmeted sculpt so I could repaint it with a lighter skin tone. And also try to make it look a bit less cartoony if I could. And I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... even if it's all going to be covered up by the helmet again anyway. :D

I'm kinda tempted to repaint the other head now as well, but not sure if I'd really display it much.

View attachment 504093

View attachment 504094

View attachment 504095

Dang. That’s worth a quote right there. That?s an amazing change. Definitely looking forward to seeing it on the figure and I hope you take a stab at the other sculpt too.

Agree with everyone else. Amazing paint job, davejames. Really see Billy Dee after your work. Awesome to see what's hidden under the factory paint. :clap

Took some shots of the figure tonight, have to say I can't imagine the ESB version being quite this much fun in hand, though I know that's "the Lando" we all think of.

DSC_0501.jpg
DSC_0515.jpg
DSC_0520.jpg
DSC_0521.jpg
DSC_0523.jpg
DSC_0531.jpg
DSC_0539.jpg

Well after a lot of effort I was finally able to pry the head out of the helmeted sculpt so I could repaint it with a lighter skin tone. And also try to make it look a bit less cartoony if I could. And I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... even if it's all going to be covered up by the helmet again anyway. :D

I'm kinda tempted to repaint the other head now as well, but not sure if I'd really display it much.

View attachment 504093

View attachment 504094

View attachment 504095
amazing!! you really softened the "scowl" and brought out the likeness more
This just shows how shoddy Sideshow's paints are....:thud: that re-paint shows that likeness is there...just hid under gloppy sub-par painting

This! :lecture: I've been saying for awhile that even though their sculpts are hit or miss, if they could at the very least upgrade their paint work to something more realistic like what HT is doing, it would greatly improve their products. HT doesn't get the sculpts right 100% of the time, but their really nice paint work helps even when sculpts are lacking.

Nice pics Tonton! And yeah I agree, I'm kinda struggling at the moment to think of cool poses to put the ESB figure into (I'm not about to use those cheesy poses he struck in the promo pics. :D). But that's not an issue with this one at all.

Great job on those pics TonTon! Would have killed for those pics a month or so ago - no distortion, great poses, soft/even lighting.:clap

Lando came today. He looks even better in hand. This is my first Sideshow purchase since about 2014. lol

Thats crazy paint works Dave, excellent!
Just ordered this guy at Sideshow can't wait for it to arrive.

Here's mine after a few more mods. I repainted the armor to the more silvery color of the movie, added the missing texture and detail on the jaw piece, weathered up the leather bits, helmet, holster, and boots, and lightened up the hands. The only thing left to figure out is that vest which just looks distractingly wrong to me ever since Talibane pointed it out. Lol

(Sorry for all the pics, but I just love how cool this guy looks)

20210120_222801 (2).jpg

20210120_222417 (2).jpg

20210120_221859 (2).jpg

20210120_221933 (2).jpg

20210120_233831 (4).jpg

20210120_215857 (3).jpg

Back