Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint is far superior on the new one. If I didn't already own the original, I might look at things differently. I've always known the paint isn't perfect, but the sculpt was for me, it was everything I'd hoped for in a ROTJ Jabba. As impressive as features of the new one are, the few areas where it resembles the Hasbro figure I shared more than the puppet really just take it a step down for me.

Thank You MaulFan.

Those photos pretty much sum up why the V2 just doesn't sit well with me and feels off. That really puts it in perspective. So what it comes down to is: Pale green turd vs Huge fat soft serve turd head. The V1 for sure is the better sculpt.

I think if anything, I'd buy the V2 for the throne upgrade and pier one pillows, sell off the V2 Jabba and with that money repaint the V1.

My thoughts here are concluded until production piece arrives. *drops gavel*

The paint may be superior, but the mouth looks weird and he has bug eyes that pop out of his head too much. Also it bugs me that the tail hangs over the throne.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"Also it bugs me that the tail hangs over the throne."....DEFINITELY agree with you....that straight tail looks lousy....

JESM.

I don't see it looking like such a bad sculpt...

COMP 3-14-18.jpg

I personally have no plans to get him, but he does look pretty good I must say. I thought the Carbonite Solo was a good release and this looks like it'd be about on par with it. This would for sure pair well with the HT RotJ Luke for those who want to have him with the cloak on.

Here's the value I see:

Jabba = $250
Throne = $250
Crumb = $100

That's a generous $650

I would have done it for that price. $800 is pushing it. Add shipping and tax for me on that if I order direct.

I always read the paint is so much better on the new one... guys that IS a prototype. Its simply not fair to compare a proto to a production piece....

:lol

I feel 'pale pickle' captures the essence of the v1 better. But 'soft serve turd' is excellent for the v2.

:rotfl

Version 1 or Version 2, take your pick...

aixclpcinvt2obwpohse.jpg

e6d14a615adb2e989baa84fccf22f748.jpg

Here's the value I see:

Jabba = $250
Throne = $250
Crumb = $100

That's a generous $650

I would have done it for that price. $800 is pushing it. Add shipping and tax for me on that if I order direct.

:horror

1/6 Salacious Crumb is comfortably $100? End of days begins... now.

Did SS mention the material used for the base? Is it really polystone?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

The paint may be superior, but the mouth looks weird and he has bug eyes that pop out of his head too much. Also it bugs me that the tail hangs over the throne.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"Also it bugs me that the tail hangs over the throne."....DEFINITELY agree with you....that straight tail looks lousy....

JESM.

I don't mind the straight tail. Pretty sure almost every Jabba figure in any scale has the tail bent in some way. Makes this one stand out a little. In the movie it is hard to see what the tail is doing most of the time. From what I can see the earlier scenes with Oola it is straight and the Leia scenes it is curled. I like that they committed to one pose rather then trying both. To me bendable tail means melting plastic or tearing rubber. Interchangeable tail means seam line. Glad they committed one way.

I'm not sure anyone would really say it's a bad sculpt, there's just some things off, and considering it's the more recent made one, you'd think the sculpt would be every bit as good as it's predecessor and better.

Jabba5.jpg

I can see where the "cartoony" aspect comes in, there's a lot of over definition in his rolls that wasn't present in the movie. The lower mouth sinks in too much under the corners of his mouth which is what's giving him the appearance of smiling rather than just following the shape of the mouth opening. Likewise, where his head meets his left shoulder casts a harsh shadow that makes it look detached and placed atop the shoulder instead of flowing into it. You can also see that some of his chin rolls are a bit over pronounced too.

View attachment 399485

The design compromises done to accomodate the swap-out eyes and mouths is what diminishes a very solid sculpt. It gives it the googly bulging eyes look (with fairly distinct "rings" around the bulbous parts) and that weird smile (they had to bunch up the mouth/chin into an over-protruded half circle to allow for a clean swap out mouthpiece, looking unnatural.)

For $800, they should have simply done two different swap-out heads with different expressions, and hidden the joint in the deep midsection folds. There is just no way that you won't notice those seams on his face - no way.

This pile of eyes, mouths and arms reminds me of the SSC R2 and his dozen pop-up/pop-out/pop-in arms/devices/accessories - all of which no one ever uses. A screen accurate Jabba with an alternate head look to swap out the display periodically would have been perfect.

I've seen some good repaints of the original, but never one that looked really film accurate, Sideshow's paint on the new one looks the closest to film accurate of any Jabba product I've seen, I even love how they made his underbelly look dirty as it did.

Did SS mention the material used for the base? Is it really polystone?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

No, they didn't answer any questions as to the materials being used for either Jabba or his throne.. I believe he said they hadn't made a final decision yet, or something. Like I said, it's gonna be a chunk of cheap lightweight plastic when people get it in their hands... That would suck.

Back