Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well again that's why I put it at half of the Yoda value. :lol

Anyway, even if Crumb is over priced at $100 along with my estimates for Jabba ($250) and throne ($250)... it just shows you how far out $800 is to justify.

That's the reason I don't have many GG Jumbo figures - they should be $40-50 for what they are. I would have said that Salacious was worth about that.

It's a strange thing why they didn't just recast the original and add a new head - the old one is better. I'm guessing the new fig's fat arms and legs means the production process changed.

But yeah - this new set should have been $599, or $569 if they're trying to beat a HT Jabba. People rationalize $800 but it's nuts.

Well again that's why I put it at half of the Yoda value. :lol

Anyway, even if Crumb is over priced at $100 along with my estimates for Jabba ($250) and throne ($250)... it just shows you how far out $800 is to justify.

You forgot the pillows !! 9 x $20 each !

You forgot the pillows !! 9 x $20 each !

Regular price on eBay is $1.99 per 1/6 pillow, so I do understand why Sideshow feels the need to count out their nine pillows in each video. It's at least an $18 value all up.:dunno

s-l1600.jpg

9 real pillows to bite!

It's the reason Salacious crumb comes with mouth open and closed variations.:lol

That's the reason I don't have many GG Jumbo figures - they should be $40-50 for what they are. I would have said that Salacious was worth about that.

It's a strange thing why they didn't just recast the original and add a new head - the old one is better. I'm guessing the new fig's fat arms and legs means the production process changed.

But yeah - this new set should have been $599, or $569 if they're trying to beat a HT Jabba. People rationalize $800 but it's nuts.

You're right, if this was even $600, i would already have ordered it. But $800....my mortgage payment is $808.52 per month so you probably can guess where my priority is with this set.

I think I paid about $800 for 89 Batman and the Batmobile when they came out. I also think I got the Bat Armory set with Bruce and Alfred plus Bane for a little under $800 too.

I think somewhere between $500 and $600 would have been fair for this set.

I don't see it looking like such a bad sculpt...

View attachment 399485

Doing a closeup of just the head, yes this looks pretty good.

But the issue is the head in comparison to body. Refer to Maul's photos and focus on his head size and how it sits on the body. He's an overly fat head. Again tho, something you could overlook if you'll really enjoy the swapping of pieces and hopefully a nice paint job. So it's not dead in the water. It's just not the right sized head, which is what makes it feel off.

I don't feel the old one is a substantially better portrait -- I think that's subjective.

Even the slight raise on the throne is more movie accurate -- and that block just looks better. You can blame it on the paint, but isn't that a huge part of the improvement?

I'd love to see a repainted old Jabba -- I know they are out there -- and compare.

Not the best photos, lighting is too harsh, but this is a repaint done many years ago.

c606619d10f8de56fc315aa5d1141ac0.jpg

fdc301d49a3225f9bb900a7f07ab19e1.jpg

5000b99d75bb99b7f0af40620780879d.jpg

Big improvement of course.

But now all I see is that diminishing tail. Was Jabba's tail really that small?

Maybe that's what the Sideshow guys meant when they said the old Jabba was undersized. Honestly, I always thought so.

Could be but the new tail looks like it tapers to quickly as well...

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.14.52 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.18.32 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.24.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 12.21.17 AM.jpg

It's nice to see such active discussion about the details of Jabba's appearance. :D Some people may recall that I'm a bit of a Jabba super-fan, and have basically every Jabba-related item ever released. So on one level I'm very tuned to Jabba's appearance, and I can see the good and bad parts of this new sculpt. But at the same time I don't only care about 100% movie accuracy. If something seems to bring out the spirit of the character I will like it even if it's not really accurate. (One example is the Attakus Jabba the Hutt statue. It's is absolutely terrible from an accuracy standpoint, but its size and charm make it one of my favorite statues.)

That said, I think Sideshow is definitely trying to be as accurate as possible with this piece, and from that standpoint the slightly cartoony look of the new sculpt is a bit disappointing. Part of me does feel like the old version captures the overall look of Jabba better, maybe just because it doesn't have the goofy smile. Still, the new one looks way more detailed than the old version in terms of all of the wrinkles and so forth, and the paint scheme is way better as well. Yes it's a prototype, but even the prototype of the original Jabba was still way too green! At least they seem to be attempting to get the right mix of colors here.

I'm hoping it improves in further production... that may seem naïve, I know, with delivery in 7 months.

Fingers crossed this comes closer to being in line with Snowspeeder Luke than it does with v2 IG-88.

They mentioned printing the prototype -- does that mean that this was sculpted entirely digitally? That might make it easier to make changes, although with this shipping so (relatively) soon, I don't know if there is time.

They mentioned printing the prototype -- does that mean that this was sculpted entirely digitally? That might make it easier to make changes, although with this shipping so (relatively) soon, I don't know if there is time.

Yes, they said the prototype was a digital sculpt.

I think he also said the proto was made of resin, hence the gaps were larger than they should be.

When it's produced in PVC the fit should be a lot tighter.

Yes, they said the prototype was a digital sculpt.

I think he also said the proto was made of resin, hence the gaps were larger than they should be.

When it's produced in PVC the fit should be a lot tighter.

I don't quite follow that logic he mentioned in the video. Most high-end prototypes like this would be 3D printed in ABS, which is a pretty close-tolerance hard/durable plastic used for auto parts (i.e very little gaps.) The production figure is made of PVC, the same softer material Hasbro figures are made of (the joints are ABS though.)

I guess PVC has some give, so maybe the push-in Jabba pieces might "squeeze" out a gap and make it invisible, but PVC is also known to work loose over time and create gaps which produce loose joints (MOTUC being a recent example.)

You'd think ABS, being a close-tolerance material would be the thing that would produce the narrowest gaps while PVC, being softer and a more mass-market toy plastic, would be the one that would likely have wider gaps, or end up with wider gaps. Yet the Sideshow rep says its the reverse - PVC production has less gaps than ABS proto.

Back