Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time HT gets around to doing Jabba (assuming they even do it), it’ll cost $1600.00 the way they keep jacking up their prices every three to six months. By then, I’ll be out of this hobby, and glad I got this one.

This is no doubt a statue with swapouts like the Taun Taun they did. After buying I'm still convinced that this is the best format for doing Jabba the Hutt. I enjoy the swap out parts.

Perhaps Hot Toys will prove me wrong in the future. But I doubt that they will make Jabba and throne based on the massive size. I also feel that they would make him out of a rubber type material which may look nice initially but maybe prove to be problematic. Who knows where Hot Toys goes with Star Wars once all the tier 1 character variants have been made and how long they continue making high end Star Wars figures?

It's an interesting question where HT Star Wars goes from here, especially in regards to OT stuff. Lando in Ep IX will probably be the in for them to finally do ESB Lando and Han Bespin (and maybe a V.2 Luke Bespin) but this movie in December is the last gasp of OT characters. From here on it'll be like that new Disney SW land - "Star Wars" but more Disney SW than much connected to the OT.

By the time HT gets around to doing Jabba (assuming they even do it), it’ll cost $1600.00 the way they keep jacking up their prices every three to six months. By then, I’ll be out of this hobby, and glad I got this one.

I don't think HT has jacked their prices as much as Sideshow has, but I guess SSC started from a lower initial set of pricepoints. Sideshow figures went from around $60 (2006/7 - Luke Bespin/Jedi) to $90 (2008/9 - Emperor) to $120/130 (2011 - Gammy/Hammy) to $150 (maybe 2013 - snowie) to $180 (2014 - TIE pilot) to $200 (2015 - Luke and Han Hoth) to the new standard which will be $220 for really basic or re-release but $240 to $270. So roughly tripled. Lando Skiff will likely be in the $230 to $250 range depending on extra head.

HT for regular figs seems to have gone from roughly $140 (Marcus from Terminator Salvation in 2009 - a decade ago - was one of the first "new ultra-realistic" figures from HT) to $205 today (Royal Guard, Leia Bespin) up to $230 (Luke Crait, Tarkin w/chair) depending on features.

Overall, SSC seems to charge a bit more than HT, so that might mean a HT Jabba that's in the $650-700 range. It will be interesting to see if a HT Jabba pops up at SDCC. As I mentioned, it was slightly odd how fast this SSC Jabba showed up, so fast they had no time to announce support figures other than Lando.

Just a couple months ago, Aquaman and Krennic were $234.99, now a standard figure Captain Marvel and Commander Cody are $242.99. At the pace with which HT is doing the Star Wars figures, how much are these going to cost in 4-5 years?

It's an interesting question where HT Star Wars goes from here, especially in regards to OT stuff. Lando in Ep IX will probably be the in for them to finally do ESB Lando and Han Bespin (and maybe a V.2 Luke Bespin) but this movie in December is the last gasp of OT characters. From here on it'll be like that new Disney SW land - "Star Wars" but more Disney SW than much connected to the OT.

As I mentioned, it was slightly odd how fast this SSC Jabba showed up, so fast they had no time to announce support figures other than Lando.

I think Hot Toys will continue to weenie out OT figures occasionally as long as they continue making 1/6 figures. Still quite a few variants of tier 1 characters and some tier 2 like Ackbar, Scout Troopers, etc. Eventually they might even get to stuff like Veers, DS Trooper, and maybe even that fantastic looking Snowtrooper Commander, etc. I don't think Disney's new characters will have a strong enough base of collectors if they completely alienate the OT big spenders.

And where in hell is that Sideshow Skiff Lando you speak of? Pre-order has to be coming for celebration or May the 4th right?

I think Hot Toys will continue to weenie out OT figures occasionally as long as they continue making 1/6 figures. Still quite a few variants of tier 1 characters and some tier 2 like Ackbar, Scout Troopers, etc. Eventually they might even get to stuff like Veers, DS Trooper, and maybe even that fantastic looking Snowtrooper Commander, etc. I don't think Disney's new characters will have a strong enough base of collectors if they completely alienate the OT big spenders.

And where in hell is that Sideshow Skiff Lando you speak of? Pre-order has to be coming for celebration or May the 4th right?

Yeah, it's like eight months ago Lando was revealed - it's sad that these things drag out because when that PO finally goes up, it's yet another 6-9 month wait. So the figure will be in-hand 18 months to TWO YEARS after it was first revealed.:slap

What's weird is that Lando was revealed only about four months after Jabba was first revealed - yet Jabba has been in-hand now for almost a month.:dunno

I must have got a good one then. That and I paid nothing for this as I had trade to barter with...

It's the typical case with these types of very expensive collectibles--you get a good one with no problems ...everything is golden

Get one with problems or another with similar problems well your millage will vary...

For now this is my favorite Star Wars figure.
Do you mind posting some close-up, flash on pics like I did of yours?
This is no doubt a statue with swapouts like the Taun Taun they did. After buying I'm still convinced that this is the best format for doing Jabba the Hutt. I enjoy the swap out parts.

Perhaps Hot Toys will prove me wrong in the future. But I doubt that they will make Jabba and throne based on the massive size. I also feel that they would make him out of a rubber type material which may look nice initially but maybe prove to be problematic. Who knows where Hot Toys goes with Star Wars once all the tier 1 character variants have been made and how long they continue making high end Star Wars figures?
Best format, as in a non rubbery piece..but hands down the most inconsistent, cheap and brittle materialed collectible I own. I'd actually take rubber any day over this lol. But I wouldn't think HT would make it entirely like that; so maybe most of the tail and arms.
..the more I think about it, the more I think they wouldn't go a plastic route. That would be a bad move indeed.

I got an email from SSC saying they will be sending me my replacement mouth and eye. Their hours are wonky and constantly changing; so I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet. I need to tell them that parts are tailored to each batch of unique Jabba's..and mouths aren't going to to be compatible. Of course, the company that made this doesn't have a clue/doesn't care.

Face it, Chalor, you single handedly kept many people from purchasing Sideshow's very expensive Jabba. I doubt Sideshow is happy about that. As demonstrated already, I wouldn't expect their best pieces to ship to you in the future.

Face it, Chalor, you single handedly kept many people from purchasing Sideshow's very expensive Jabba. I doubt Sideshow is happy about that. As demonstrated already, I wouldn't expect their best pieces to ship to you in the future.
You and other ppl on here asked for it..so I supplied the drug. I should've contacted everyone privately that wanted more info. I realized after reading the comments from collectors believing the three I've seen are all lemons and theirs are near perfect. Posting stuff like that to the public; no matter how much you try to explain things from all sides, it's no bueno.

They've always sent their extra poo poo pieces to me lol. So most of the time after looking at others copies online, I realize mine is subpar; then it's re-ordering time again. Even though all the boxes are sealed..they must put a little mark on the extra bad ones in China for the "problem" customers like me. I've been thinking they've been pissed at me for quite a while now. After I get the replacement parts and tell them that I need a entirely new Jabba now (nevermind the one I still need to ship back); I'll officially go on their "You are not welcome here anymore" list..followed by some literature on mental illnesses.

They've always sent their extra poo poo pieces to me lol. they must put a little mark on the extra bad ones in China for the "problem" customers like me.

:lol

I wonder if they do have a "naughty" list? I know some companies (nothing to do with dollies) secretly do. I'd imagine its more prevalent than we'd all like to believe.

Just a couple months ago, Aquaman and Krennic were $234.99, now a standard figure Captain Marvel and Commander Cody are $242.99. At the pace with which HT is doing the Star Wars figures, how much are these going to cost in 4-5 years?

And Bespin Leia is $205 and came out for pre-order very recently. There’s still some aspects to the complexity of a figure, re-use, lower demand, that plays into all the pricing.

I wonder if they do have a "naughty" list? I know some companies (nothing to do with dollies) secretly do. I'd imagine its more prevalent than we'd all like to believe.

Well we know it's almost a certainty that their employees still lurk this site because they have suggested QC fixes from the board in the past. I wonder if they ever actually take the time to figure out who a boardie is based on their comments here? I wasn't around in the old days when they were super active here but they did used to drop a comment here and there and even that is long gone.

For real! I was wondering if I was just being paranoid about a year ago when I started to notice odd things in reguards to them. Considering there's not a whole lot of people working at that building. I don't think someone could just fly under the radar when most of the stuff they buy, they end up purchasing a second; then receive a call requesting a return label for one lol. Wrong thread, I know..but is anyone on here in Turtle mania mode at the moment? I'm loving it all man. Even forked over $225 to get that TMNT rooftop diorama. I'm soooo looking forward to the all the cartoon figures to come.

Considering I've been in full blown, Star Wars tunnel vision mode since Fett last year; it's a nice change of pace. Really digging all the Gremlins stuff and even The Real Ghostbusters figures..even with their sloppy QC. Plus, it's all easier to go down paying those prices compared to a bunch of awesome 1/6 figures coming out at once.

Chalor, at some point I will take some close up photos of Jabba and post the photos. I would expect that there are variations in paint because these are hand painted. If 'xyz painter' at the factory has a bad day or unsteady hand then you can expect differences. Nevertheless these have to pass some sort of quality control before packaging etc--so one would expect that defective sub-par items don't hit the collectors' hands, but really how careful are these companies with QC?

One of the things I love most about Jabba's Palace is the Rancor. Since a 1/6 scale figure is nearly impossible and not at all practical I am thinking of picking up one of the larger sized Hasbro versions. Was wondering if anyone could recommend the best version?

I must have got a good one as well because I do not see any significant flaws in mine. Really great item.

Can somebody post a pic of old Jabba on the new throne, please?
icruse has posted a whole lot of comparison pics in the thread. You can go on their site: Mighty Jabba collection to see them too.
Chalor, at some point I will take some close up photos of Jabba and post the photos. I would expect that there are variations in paint because these are hand painted. If 'xyz painter' at the factory has a bad day or unsteady hand then you can expect differences. Nevertheless these have to pass some sort of quality control before packaging etc--so one would expect that defective sub-par items don't hit the collectors' hands, but really how careful are these companies with QC?
Yes indeed. My issues with this piece are quite personal. It's not like any of them had big gashes or large areas of paint missing. I think most any collector would be totally fine with the ones I've inspected. Then those QC ppl at the factory are running a business, not an OCD convention. So naturally what they consider passable is far below what some collectors feel to be acceptable.

It's just the nature of this extremely large, the material and heavily painted item that makes it impossible to produce at this large scale. So many companies keep quality pretty consistent, like: Hot Toys, Threezero, Figuarts and NECA when it comes to the molds and paint. It just sucks that Sideshow prices keep going up, but quality keeps going down/staying the same. As the old saying goes..it is what it is.

I must have got a good one as well because I do not see any significant flaws in mine. Really great item.
I'm starting to accept it all with there being no major flaws with mine. The gappage on each side of the mouths will all vary due to x number of varying molds used (or whatever the technical term would be). So yeah, it's not going to be perfect on each side for all 3 mouths. You just have to be real careful with placing the mouths in. They didn't design it well to be able to pull them out with ease.

Plus, you might have to do a little finagling when getting parts to sit how you want them - like you want it to sit better on this side compared to the other. I handle all of my collectibles with kid gloves, and I've definitely caused some paint chipping with all those corners pieces (and then some). It's just best to pick the look you want and don't mess around with it anymore. lol - I was actually trying to have fun with it all, and that wasn't a good idea.

One of the things I love most about Jabba's Palace is the Rancor. Since a 1/6 scale figure is nearly impossible and not at all practical I am thinking of picking up one of the larger sized Hasbro versions. Was wondering if anyone could recommend the best version?

The best Hasbro rancor is the Black Series/Legacy version (they re-used the same mold). The BS one was only available in a rancor pit multipack with Jabba, Slave Leia, Luke, threepio and a Gamorrean Guard in 2015.

Mine finally shipped, it will be here on the 12th. Very excited, but still not sure where I’m going to put it!

Back