Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a bummer. Seems like each piece is individually made where certain pieces are cut to fit each specific Jabba. You’d think the casts would be exact but since they’re not interchangeable between the same figure/statue the molds must have a lot of waste that needs to be trimmed which is ridiculous for those that need replacement parts. Also paint apps seem to vary. Hope you can get this sorted out.
Luckily no paint issues or ill-fitting pieces on mine and replacement Crumb head is finally on its way.

Edit: Posted with the page open for awhile... So pretty much what Talibane just said :)

It sounds like you got one of the lemons, and I would just have them replace the entire thing, instead of trying to replace bits and pieces. I certainly understand your frustration, chalor, and Sideshow needs to make it right.

Mine came in perfect condition, nothing broken or ill-fitting, no odd smell, and all the parts swap out nicely. I absolutely love this thing, and can’t stop looking at it. I’m excited to get started on building the throne room environment for it, but shoulder surgery is taking a long time to heal, and I’m frustratingly impatient to move forward.

Don’t give up hope. Demand a full return/replacement and I hope it works out for you.
I really appreciate that man; but unfortunately from my perspective, they're all lemons lol. I have two..and I've seen a third one in person at my local comic book store. My sense of smell is extremely (and I mean extremely) acute. If I where to inspect yours (or anyone elses), it would be just as "bad" as the two I have (or that other one I inspected), but in there own unique way. I've had 5 people look at both of mine. People that collect, are artists, or just simply smart people. None of them noticed anything bad or complained about any of it. And I did have the corresponding mouthpieces in each.

It's just a high end piece of crap (due to the $800 price). The ****** material, the sloppy paint apps, the inconsistencies.....I mean, it's Sideshow standard, to the extreme. If it was waaaay less pricey, it'd be alright. But I truely envy all the collectors that adore it and can't see/don't mind all the loads of issues with the material. And the thing is, I'm not 'that' picky lol. So many fellow collectors find fault with figures I think are near perfection. This item just happens to be the one that broke me.

But just to clarify, even with all that being said, it's not like I truely want to get rid of it. It will take it's place (eventually) in my display..replacing the first version. I still don't expect it to ever happen for many reasons, but I know HT would annihilate this one. It'd have the sharpness of detailing, the crisp and consistent paint apps, the durability and maybe even acrylic eyes.

*I'll take some close-up pics of my first one if you or anyone wants to see. That one connects more flush and nicer with the right corner of the mouth. That one pic I posted of the right corner mouth area is of my second one.

Wow - they must hand-trim each insert piece to a specific body/face before painting, and the pieces remain paired with that body right the way to packaging. That is really interesting. So any replacement pieces may - or more likely may not - fit the existing face/body.
Surely every single copy can't each be unique? That would be crazy. I was thinking that each batch is unique; but maybe you're right.

Oh yeah, forgot to point out/take pics of a bunch of yellow paint on the left brow on one of them, heavy handed lines on one of the mouths and my second came with a flat left nostril. So where it's suppose to have a shape to it, it's just excess material that is smooth and flat. I'll upload more pics tomorrow if I get a chance. I feel like I'm super nit picking, but it goes back to the price they charged.

Oh yeah, but it's not paintwork; they're kind of like tampos.
So basically a digitally printed decal. They do have a slight pixelated look, but it's totally fine. It would have been a complete mess if they were painted. So glad they went that nice and consistent route.

20190302_220608_Film1-1.jpg
20190302_220221_Film1-1-1-1.jpg
20190302_220230_Film1-1.jpg
20190302_220828_Film1-1.jpg
20190302_220819_Film1-1.jpg

I was really psyched about this Jabba... but Chalor's reports have made me a bit concerned.

Is this going to be like their Maul: great with the initial pieces, but the later batches just get sloppy? What is it, does SS make a few great early pieces to get people sold and then just leave QC behind?

I'm now leaning back towards waiting for HT to perhaps one day take a stab at Jabba. I just can't imagine Howard passing on one of the key 5 villains of the OT.

Yeah I have to admit, the temptation I was feeling early on for this has pretty much disappeared by now. It's still a nice looking figure and display, but not something that's so impressive that it feels like I need to have it. And the typical "Sideshow-ness" is starting to come through more and more now, when it comes to the overall quality and paintwork.

I was really psyched about this Jabba... but Chalor's reports have made me a bit concerned.

Is this going to be like their Maul: great with the initial pieces, but the later batches just get sloppy? What is it, does SS make a few great early pieces to get people sold and then just leave QC behind?

I'm now leaning back towards waiting for HT to perhaps one day take a stab at Jabba. I just can't imagine Howard passing on one of the key 5 villains of the OT.
I don't know man; I think they're all about the same. I didn't want to come across as turning anyone completely off..but what would you expect with all my rantings lol. For 99.9% of collectors out there, it's perfection. But like I was saying before; this one just broke me. It just happened to be the one piece that made me go mental, with my OCD spiking.

Before, I was all for Hot Toys not doing one. With this being the second attempt (and the price), it eased my mind thinking this will be the definitive Jabba and no need to make a third. Now I'm all for HT making one some day. I can have a Jabba in my kitchen, then one in the bedroom and another in my office.

I missed the last payment. Sideshow canceled it before I could call and square away the last payment. Their phones were down that next day.

Oh well. I’m kinda glad as my taste has switched to the Prime1 Hush Superman that’s about to release. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why you are disregarding dozens of happy collectors in place of a relatively low number or reported problems.

That's your decision...but the chances of HT making a Jabba is about the same as getting a classic Batmobile...

I just hope you don't regret it...

I dunno, I've had advanced buyers remorse about this from this beginning -- that's a bad sign. Maybe I just want an excuse.

It still blows me away every time I see a photo of it in someone's display. Just a magnificent piece.

But the idea that if I don't get a good one from the get-go that the replacement puzzle-pieces might not fit right actually scares me. That Sideshow might get sloppy with their QC has been proven and verified so many times in the past that I'm very wary. Obviously the longer I wait, the higher the risk of that happening... but unfortunately, I'm not in a position to afford this now. So I will continue to observe how this SS Jabba plays out...

I dunno, I've had advanced buyers remorse about this from this beginning -- that's a bad sign. Maybe I just want an excuse.

It still blows me away every time I see a photo of it in someone's display. Just a magnificent piece.

But the idea that if I don't get a good one from the get-go that the replacement puzzle-pieces might not fit right actually scares me. That Sideshow might get sloppy with their QC has been proven and verified so many times in the past that I'm very wary. Obviously the longer I wait, the higher the risk of that happening... but unfortunately, I'm not in a position to afford this now. So I will continue to observe how this SS Jabba plays out...

It does seem like you need an excuse not to get it as the reported problems come from a single collector (with ocd [emoji6]) ...but if you need an excuse, then grab it and let Jabba go! Maybe don’t let the collector in you get the better of you by forcing you to spend more than you want. Because I think that is what it is. It’s a great piece for a ton of money and the money in itself is a good enough reason to pass on this.

It does seem like you need an excuse not to get it as the reported problems come from a single collector (with ocd [emoji6]) ...but if you need an excuse, then grab it and let Jabba go! Maybe don’t let the collector in you get the better of you by forcing you to spend more than you want. Because I think that is what it is. It’s a great piece for a ton of money and the money in itself is a good enough reason to pass on this.

:exactly:

I'm on the hunt for this (i'm looking for maybe 10% discount,) but $800 is really too high. I mean it's almost a grand if you're paying tax and full-freight type shipping (like from an individual or mom/pop type LCS.) And people trying to rationalize the price vs the old one - c'mon, the Jabba figure is definitely worth $400-450, but there's no way the throne is worth another $400.

It's a pity - this thing would have been a great deal at around the $600 mark and they would have sold a ton more. Had they included a new Bib for the $800 pricepoint it would have 100% made sense.

It's also a pity they went with resin/fiberglass - this really would have been better as plastic, much less issues and no statue sheen. That being said, you gotta give kudos to SSC for pulling it off pretty damn well, especially comparing it to other SSC releases of the past few years (proto vs prod as well.)

On the other hand...maybe waiting...you will find a great clearance deal down the road...and the rest of us will regret paying full price....😄

I feel like this one is guaranteed to end up discounted, but there is always the worry that somehow it won't. With using reward points the price doesn't sting as bad

Back