1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure needed to be a home run for Sideshow... and it is!

My car was struck by another and deemed a total loss. I was given a check for the amount of the car and through that, and as a result of positive reviews on this forum, I hit the "Buy Now" button and never looked back. I'm very glad I did!

Been a HUGE fan of Indy since the eighties, and have pretty much waited for a figure like this ever since. I never picked up Hot Toys' effort as I wasn't too thrilled with it. This... this is the figure I've always wanted.

The good:

Ford's likeness is spot on
The clothing is well tailored and sets/wrinkles nicely
Great attention to detail
Paint! I'm really impressed with the paintwork on everything, from head sculpt to accessories
"Illuminated" Sankara stones are a nifty extra
Sankara stones are different sculpts!
Metal machete
Numerous hands and properly scaled
Painted fingernails! (Go check!)
Very cool box and artwork
Accessories are very well done
True 1/6 scale at 12 1/4" (with boots)
Mostly a good body

The bad:

Hairpiece is obvious
Shoes appear slightly big
Whip could have been a better sculpt
No jacket
Hat is a little large and seems a slightly drab
Head is minutely undersized
Floppy right arm

The ugly:

Me before accutane

Getting back to the size of the head, wherein lies the bulk of criticism I've seen so far, I've taken full-body side and front view images of Ford as a young Han Solo and Indy and determined the ratios of his head to his body with that of the Indy figure's head and body. I found that the head sculpt is only one millimeter too small. At times it's noticeable, at others, not. This figure is just properly scaled with a tall body, making the head sculpt size somewhat noticeable to some.

Still, as a HUGE (all caps are necessary once again) Indy fan, I must say, the pluses outweigh the minuses. Sideshow apparently got tired of the criticism and said, "*****k it! Let's go for broke," with this figure. I absolutely love it!

When I was a boy I would make playsets for my figures out of cardboard and styrofoam. They were awful but kept my friends and I entertained. Now as a 42 year old man, I'm thinking just what I could make using high grade plastic and other expensive materials for my new TOD Indy.

My car was struck by another and deemed a total loss. I was given a check for the amount of the car and through that, and as a result of positive reviews on this forum, I hit the "Buy Now" button and never looked back. I'm very glad I did!

Been a HUGE fan of Indy since the eighties, and have pretty much waited for a figure like this ever since. I never picked up Hot Toys' effort as I wasn't too thrilled with it. This... this is the figure I've always wanted.

The good:

Paint! I'm really impressed with the paintwork on everything, from head sculpt to accessories
Metal machete
Mostly a good body

The bad:

Hairpiece is obvious
No jacket
Floppy right arm

The ugly:

Me before accutane

Getting back to the size of the head, wherein lies the bulk of criticism I've seen so far, I've taken full-body side and front view images of Ford as a young Han Solo and Indy and determined the ratios of his head to his body with that of the Indy figure's head and body. I found that the head sculpt is only one millimeter too small. At times it's noticeable, at others, not. This figure is just properly scaled with a tall body, making the head sculpt size somewhat noticeable to some.

Still, as a HUGE (all caps are necessary once again) Indy fan, I must say, the pluses outweigh the minuses. Sideshow apparently got tired of the criticism and said, "*****k it! Let's go for broke," with this figure. I absolutely love it!

When I was a boy I would make playsets for my figures out of cardboard and styrofoam. They were awful but kept my friends and I entertained. Now as a 42 year old man, I'm thinking just what I could make using high grade plastic and other expensive materials for my new TOD Indy.

:clap

The good:

Metal machete
Mostly a good body

The bad:

Hairpiece is obvious
No jacket
Floppy right arm

The ugly:

Me before accutane

Pretty much agree with all of this(except age):wink1:

Nice review. If the head is minutely undersized and he's 12 1/4" tall, you could always find a way to knock off that 1/4" and bring the head that tiny bit back into scale with the body.

Interestingly, a few of the old SSC Indys appeared to have an even larger "bobble" scale heads than they really were (and they were oversized) because the bodies were so small. Now SSC has swung in the other direction - big bodies and smaller heads.:lol

The 'neck mod' cures that.

Mine now stands 12 1/4 to the top of his fedora. I think he's 12" to the top of his head, but I don't have his syrup handy as it's packed away in the box.

The 'neck mod' cures that.

Mine now stands 12 1/4 to the top of his fedora. I think he's 12" to the top of his head, but I don't have his syrup handy as it's packed away in the box.

That's good to know. Anyone taken a pic of this head next to any of the older SSC Indy heads?

That's good to know. Anyone taken a pic of this head next to any of the older SSC Indy heads?

Hey Talibane! Based on our last exchange in the custom thread I guess this would somewhat suffice for a comparison lol (assuming the recast is the exact same size as the original 2008 sculpt. Hope this helps somewhat!

IMG_6852.jpg

It looks like you only need to take away 2.4 millimeters from the body to get it scaled correctly. As others have said, removing the neck's barbell hinge seems like a good solution, just don't do it the way I did! I removed the neck adaptor for the hinge as well when the hinge wouldn't budge. When it was time to restore the adapter to the torso within the rubber neck I tried numerous methods, all but one aided in making the neck look fugly. Don't use a heat gun or blow dryer as it will yellow the rubber. Don't try to just shove the adapter in place as that will scuff the paint and warp the rubber. I ended up remembering a dental/sculpting tool I had, the head of which resembles the head of a golf club, and used it successfully by carefully easing the rubber neck flange around the adapter until it fell inside. Wish I thought of it sooner! (Funnily enough, I used a blow dryer again to minimize the warping of the rubber I had caused.)

As others have said, removing the neck's barbell hinge seems like a good solution, just don't do it the way I did! I removed the neck adaptor for the hinge as well when the hinge wouldn't budge. When it was time to restore the adapter to the torso within the rubber neck I tried numerous methods, all but one aided in making the neck look fugly. Don't use a heat gun or blow dryer as it will yellow the rubber. Don't try to just shove the adapter in place as that will scuff the paint and warp the rubber. I ended up remembering a dental/sculpting tool I had, the head of which resembles the head of a golf club, and used it successfully by carefully easing the rubber neck flange around the adapter until it fell inside. Wish I thought of it sooner! (Funnily enough, I used a blow dryer again to minimize the warping of the rubber I had caused.)

I dunked the neck in hot water to soften it before pulling the plug out. With it removed the neck is pliable enough to allow the head to sit down as far as it needs to go.

That also cures any fat neck/small head syndrome.

So did anyone get a response yet from SSC that put in a request for a replacement body because of a bum right arm? Do they normally take a week to respond? Because that's when I put in the request lol. Just seems like a long time without any word at all

Nothing yet. I submitted my request last Thursday. Maybe you should follow up with an email? I was thinking I'd do that if I haven't heard anything in a week.

Damn after reading Michael Crawford's review sounds like this Indy is a winner. Hope he doesn't sell out before I can get the funds :gah:

Back