Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So which is stronger - a tube or solid rod?

I'm guessing if this thing is feather-weight then it doesn't matter?

I have one waiting for me at a local shop to pick up but not sure I am keeping it. If someone still wants one and wants to save a little money I can hook you up with this one. PM me if interested.

I think that would look a lot better than the black one that is screaming out to be seen.

It's the only issue that I've noticed with this release - a clear rod just seems so obvious that they must have had a compelling reason to go with black. Is it painted metal or plastic?

By weight, hollow, by diameter, marginally solid. Because hollow uses less material it's cheaper and lighter, plus likely more transparent if that's a concern. I think it may resist deforming under its own weight more as well, but that may not even be applicable at this size/length. Go for hollow, save money with great rigidity and better looks, IMO.

It's the only issue that I've noticed with this release - a clear rod just seems so obvious that they must have had a compelling reason to go with black. Is it painted metal or plastic?
Someone was mentioning earlier in the thread that the stand being black could be a Lucasfilm mandate. It's possible SSC would've liked clear but didn't have a choice. At least it's about as easy a mod as one could wish for.

One really EASY thing to source is 3/8" wooden dowel available at most places that sell wood, including Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If you don't want clear, this allows you to paint it any color you want without touching the original - optionally changing the height too.

By weight, hollow, by diameter, marginally solid. Because hollow uses less material it's cheaper and lighter, plus likely more transparent if that's a concern. I think it may resist deforming under its own weight more as well, but that may not even be applicable at this size/length. Go for hollow, save money with great rigidity and better looks, IMO.

Thanks - now hunting for 3/8" clear tube...

Someone was mentioning earlier in the thread that the stand being black could be a Lucasfilm mandate. It's possible SSC would've liked clear but didn't have a choice. At least it's about as easy a mod as one could wish for.

Lucasfilm mandate :slap

I mean black just makes so much sense.:lol

It's confirmed that 9.6mm is 3/8" :) but, I'm not sure who did the original measurement. Seeing the decimal place makes me think it was done with calipers, and 3/8" is a nice perfect common fractional size for rod and tube. Soooo… Sounds good so far.

I did. Using a digital caliper. For others looking for a replacement stand. Get a clear acrylic tubing. What I know 3/8" tubing is usually manufactured with a 2mm(sorry we are metric on this side of the world) wall thickness.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010165250...49&var=500219289029&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

One really EASY thing to source is 3/8" wooden dowel available at most places that sell wood, including Home Depot, Lowes, etc. If you don't want clear, this allows you to paint it any color you want without touching the original - optionally changing the height too.

Or a brass tubing which offer a much smoother finish.

https://www.micromark.com/brass-tube-3and8-inch-dia-x-12-inches-long-pkg-of-6,7000.html

I always get my supplies and tools from this guys.

So which is stronger - a tube or solid rod?

I'm guessing if this thing is feather-weight then it doesn't matter?

I work with structural engineers. Tube has more structural integrity for this case. The original pole is made of brass by the sound of it ( I have supply of aluminum and brass tubing on my modeling workbench to compare ). With a powder coated finish.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with as the best substitute pole.

I also heard that it was a something the Lucasfilm set in place, but does anyone here know the reasoning behind that?

"It doesn't sound friendly, whatever it is...."

https://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/jedibearvt/PROBOT_007_zps3f288c1a.jpg

I love this thing....looks fantastic and is fun to poke at and play with the limbs....find a pose, stare a bit, repeat.

Doesn't matter what it's made of or how much it weighs or whatever else....it looks cool and it's fun. Works for me!

Gonna have a blast this winter getting some snow shots with this thing!

Love that shot Jedibear, great backdrop. Looking forward to seeing your snow photos this winter. It's winter here down in the southern hemisphere but I still get no snow where I live.

I'm still marveling at the engineering of the legs. Like you say, so much fun to position all those pistons.

Love that shot Jedibear, great backdrop. Looking forward to seeing your snow photos this winter. It's winter here down in the southern hemisphere but I still get no snow where I live.

I'm still marveling at the engineering of the legs. Like you say, so much fun to position all those pistons.

Just depends on your level of commitment to get those pics, Dinosoar Daz.:lol

lordoftherings3.jpg

But yeah, Jedibear, can't wait to see those snow pics - I've seen the 1/6 snowtrooper-in-snow pics but Probe droid would top that (mostly because you never see snowies in actual snow, but the probe droid you do.)

^^ :lol That's just a three hour drive from where I live Talibane (Hobbiton is just a hour down the road).

Think I'll just look for a suitable snowy photo of the net or crumble up some polystyrene

^^ :lol That's just a three hour drive from where I live Talibane (Hobbiton is just a hour down the road).

Think I'll just look for a suitable snowy photo of the net or crumble up some polystyrene

You live in Middle Earth, not Hoth. :lol

Back