Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, bro. Did you buy it? I just think it will look better surrounded by Jawa's than my current Tama. Tama is good all by itself...but not so much near other figures.

Yeah, I'm on the fence in the Tama vs. SSC - there are tweaks to the SSC head that can be done, but it does have a slightly funky look (especially with the lights off) - the reason the "cartoony" thing keeps coming up. Jaw too large, mouth too square, distance between mouth and eyes too small, making it look a bit rounded. All of those can be tweaked though, pulling it closer.

But I do feel the SSC body really captures 3PO better than the Tama, even if I don't feel the SSC finish captures ANH 3PO at all - it's very ROTJ to me with the dulled, more yellowy gold as opposed to the grime splattered whiter gold that's mirror-like of ANH.

Overall, the SSC 3PO came out WAY better than anyone was expecting though - myself included - and I can't put it down. I'm enjoying it far more than the two HT figs I've gotten in the past month and he's almost as cool as HT Chewy.

IMG_4078.JPG

Crappy Iphone pic, but he looks great with friends.

IMG_4079.JPG

I think the slightly cartoony look is in part due to the rounder head as Tali said, which is how 3PO's head is in the Clone Wars cartoon (rounder), and then the other thing just being the weathering, which in some spots reminds me of heavy ink lines you might see in comic books.

I would say that maybe a third aspect that makes it look a bit less like the film 3PO is the wider stance I've seen on a lot of people's poses (and most of SS's photos). The latter two issues seem in the owner's control, and I again say all this while still thinking that he looks like a realistic 3PO, just had those elements.

I got mine from Thinkgeek's sale but when I opened C3po his left outer piston broke off the forearm. I was able to repair the broken piece but then the other tab broke off and was a very tiny piece and was unable to repair. Pistons should had been made of metal

Do you guys know if Sideshow can send me a replacement arm purchased from another seller? and how long does it take to get a response? I sent them a request 2days and haven't received a response

and overall I love c3PO, I think he is awesome , also love the flat gold color, and I don't mind his thumbs. But Sideshow should had used ball joints in the knuckles for all fingers to get better articulation.

But one thing I don't like is the plain base stand. Wish Sideshow added design pattern like Hot Toys, even if It was decals like used for deadpool, batmans, etc...

25003771482_ef2d7c2785_o.jpg

24474357903_eda7189c77_o.jpg

24983040082_1058a09505_o.jpg

25101222465_c10aa5e5ed_o.jpg

24470537524_ba2d6b2986_o.jpg

24805610470_bd8ecd09b0_o.jpg

Attachments

• 25003771482_ef2d7c2785_o.jpg
    25003771482_ef2d7c2785_o.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 335
I think the slightly cartoony look is in part due to the rounder head as Tali said, which is how 3PO's head is in the Clone Wars cartoon (rounder), and then the other thing just being the weathering, which in some spots reminds me of heavy ink lines you might see in comic books.

I would say that maybe a third aspect that makes it look a bit less like the film 3PO is the wider stance I've seen on a lot of people's poses (and most of SS's photos). The latter two issues seem in the owner's control, and I again say all this while still thinking that he looks like a realistic 3PO, just had those elements.

A few people have said the SSC knee joints and/or upper legs also create a bit of a "thunderthighs" thing, but I don't see it as very noticeable, especially with the legs very close together as you mention. While the waist articulation is a bit limited on the SSC 3PO, I really love the articulation throughout. Despite broken pistons etc. (yup, pistons should have been steel,) it's a nicely engineered piece.

I got mine from Thinkgeek's sale but when I opened C3po his left outer piston broke off the forearm. I was able to repair the broken piece but then the other tab broke off and was a very tiny piece and was unable to repair. Pistons should had been made of metal

Do you guys know if Sideshow can send me a replacement arm purchased from another seller? and how long does it take to get a response? I sent them a request 2days and haven't received a response

and overall I love c3PO, I think he is awesome , also love the flat gold color, and I don't mind his thumbs. But Sideshow should had used ball joints in the knuckles for all fingers to get better articulation.

But one thing I don't like is the plain base stand. Wish Sideshow added design pattern like Hot Toys, even if It was decals like used for deadpool, batmans, etc...

Nice pics! Love the Crumb one.

Yeah, I would give SSC's hex stands a big thumbs down. Even with the little terrain bonus bits added like for the Hoth figs and Scout, they're too bulky and attract too much attention to what's a pretty bland stand. I like a low-profile stand and if you add terrain effects to it, keep that low profile too. The SSC Snowie stand is perfect.

And I think if you buy from a third party seller you have to go through them, not through SSC direct.

Great comments. It comes down to acknowledging the oddities and accepting issues. To me they seem worth it when the good photos are taken. Sideshowtoys did a good job photographing this figure.

SSC will not replace parts if the figure was purchased from someone else. they will tell u to contact your retailer. your retailer can contact SSC to get the replacement.

I re-weathered R2. There's pictures of what I did in the R2D2 thread, removing the factory hazy grime layer and adding oil based paints

I re-weathered R2. There's pictures of what I did in the R2D2 thread, removing the factory hazy grime layer and adding oil based paints

Very cool. I checked out your stuff in the R2 thread. I'm curious, any particular reason for using oil based paints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enamel paint will screw up a brush so I only use them as a base coat. Oil paint will thin and go on nearly transparent much easier than acrylic paints but I'm probably risking a religious war with that comment. You can get very subtle colors and builds up layers. Very forgiving if you screw up, a little turpenoid and it's gone.

I see. Good information. I'm brand spanking new to painting these things and have already picked up acrylic paints. But I'm hoping to get the kind of application you're talking about by thinning it and layering the color on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, got mine today. Ordered it from SS, still have 230 reward points pending. I gotta ask, why didn't mine come with the damaged left arm part? We're those limited to pre-orders, or what?

Back