Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has to be said over and over - HT Ben, Luke, Han and Leia together will set you back nearly $1000. That's $750 more than the corresponding SSC figs. If there's a good time to be a tough judge, this is it.

What we really need here are "one and done" figures. Nail the likeness, nail the outfit, put it on a quality body and whether there's re-issues, updated sculpts, whatever - you can say "I'm done with that character." Not many of the HT figs so far qualify as that - at least for me. All have struggled to varying degrees with likeness and/or outfit. In general, I want more for $230 than what I'm seeing in many of these figs.

Here, here...well said.

I don't know if we're ever going to see those"one and done" figures you're talking about here, but it would be nice...

It's been interesting watching HT take on the ANH characters...and while the craftsmanship part of the equation is truly excellent (the paint apps, the cut-n-sew) the figures have the same issues they've often had for me...they look great, but....off somehow.

I really like my Sideshow Artoo,,,and I'm hoping the Threepio looks great displayed with it.

After seeing new pics.... this is still my favorite C-3PO figure. SSC takes third sadly :lol

TSC042c3poart.jpg

Here, here...well said.

I don't know if we're ever going to see those"one and done" figures you're talking about here, but it would be nice...

It's been interesting watching HT take on the ANH characters...and while the craftsmanship part of the equation is truly excellent (the paint apps, the cut-n-sew) the figures have the same issues they've often had for me...they look great, but....off somehow.

I really like my Sideshow Artoo,,,and I'm hoping the Threepio looks great displayed with it.

I know what you mean about the figs being off, they haven't quite nailed the sculpts, especially Han... Though Luke is pretty good. I only want specific characters and versions; I have no interest in the ANH line, so I wish they'd move on to ESB and ROTJ. I was gonna get Vader but decided I'm better off waiting.

I want Bespin Han, ROTJ Chewie, Jedi Luke, ROTJ Vader and Palpatine. From TFA, I'll get Rey and old Han if they make him. Several prequel characters I want, but who knows when HT will get to that.

[...]I was gonna get Vader but decided I'm better off waiting.[...]

That's about where I'm at with Vader. I would be interested in a Hot Toys ESB Vader and snowspeeder Luke; still curious as hell to see what they would do with ESB Snowtroopers and the droids.

For HT ANH, I'm down to Sandtroopers, Luke & Han Stormies, and Chewbacca. I passed on everything else. Pretty brutal cut, but it's the Sandtroopers that could give me trouble, numbers-wise. :slap

I'm still circling on Sideshow Pilot Luke...it's a matter of timing and price.

I think the human sculpts with the possible exception of Leia, are all very good but typically idealized, which is why many see them as off, i.e. they are insofar as they're a touch square-jawed, polished and stern.

Would a Hot Toys C3PO be that much better than the SSC? While the build quality could be, SSC is actually competitive on droids. That SSC weathering won't hold up against an HT paint job, but it's probably as easy to remedy as it was with R2 and we already know that HT can sometimes miss the mark on sculpts.

I can't see Hot Toys doing a ANH C-3PO. And if they do it'll likely be riddled with a bunch of proportion problems that have affected so many of their mechanical/robot figures in the first iteration. I seem to recall problems of one kind or another with Robocop, Iron Man MkIII and Endo.

Instead of 'pink panties' we'll probably have a 'brown panties' problem with 3PO :horror

...though leaky abs might actually suit this character.

Everyone should just get the Tama and forget about SSC and HT. Good point about HT, though, Lejuan. I trust Tamashii about 1000x more for a figure like 3PO than HT.

Don Tam's from FB:

12401925_1256986710982132_6076153421605566274_o.jpg

21600_1257111294303007_2505619412456685980_n.jpg

10346658_1257111397636330_3522557665892102574_n.jpg

Figure is looking very good, IMO. He had a broken piston which I'm sure will be addressed. Unfortunately broken pistons was also a very common trait of the Tama version.

For the life of me I don't know how both Sideshow and Bandai/Tama got the eyes upside down (the triangle made by the 3 light sources is supposed to point downward, not up)

I won't be replacing my Tama, but looking at these (and other) early photos, I'm pretty confident that if you put both of them on a shelf 3 to 5 feet away, a significant number of people (not necessarily members of this board) would pick the Sideshow version. I think the majority would probably first say they look the same (doh!)

Yeah i would take this a a very delicate figure. Might want to consider getting out the hair dryer and warm him up before posing. I have to see the actual joint but an organic lubricant might also be a good idea on those pistons.....

I noticed that as well... he looked very odd, as you said almost like he was made out of plastic. Not sure why they chose to give him a matte finish :huh

I think they went more with a brushed metal for age and weathering. Makes sense to me. They didn't just dirty him up but it's like they took a Brillo pad to him too.

I was prepared to pick a first one up (turned out flawed) from Sideshow at full MSRP $399 - so I didn't baulk at spending $320 with the refund.

Back