Show Your Support!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slayerverse98 said:
To me a Wesley figure just isn't one of those figures that would sell well because he's not all that appealing. Cordelia was a more important character in Angel than Wesley were and is more appealing. I hated Wesley Buffy and wasn't so kean on him in Angel. We need to find out exactly how many fo us want a Wesley figure, Fred or Gunn

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you. I gess it depends on tastes but I think human sculpts are slightly better than demon sculpts. While a demon sculpt is easily more appealing to a wider public, a human likeness is, to me, much more attractive. When a human is well done (GD Buffy, human Spike), it blows me away, a demon is easier to do (I'm not implying that it's a "lesser" work, you all know what I mean).

The decision of doing a Wes figure should not be based so much on the appearance of the character, but more on the importance to the show. I don't agree Cordelia was a more important character. In terms of presense, Wesley was in more episodes than Cordy (he was almost from the beginning to the end), being one of the best developed characters in the Buffyverse, going through an amazing transformation over the years. To me, Wesley Wyndam-Pryce is one of the best characters ever created for a tv series, and he should me inmortalized in 1:6 scale.

If we make a list, count me in for a Wesley, a Fred and a Gunn. I'd also love Connor, Lilah, Harmony and Lindsay...

olvidadero said:
This had to be done as well:

I didn't include all the potential slayers even though they constitute the most important arc in the final season. There are characters that have only been 6 episodes (Darla), 4 (D'Hoffryn) or even 1 (Gentlemen, Der Kindestod) and got their Sideshow 1:6 replica. So why on Earth we didn't get our Anya or Tara? Or big bads such as M. Wilkins, Glory or Caleb (which would make awesome figures, especially Caleb). Or a slayer, Kendra. It just doesn't make any sense.

I only included the characters that haven't been made into 12 inch figures. Feel free to add characters if you like.

Mm I agree about the big bads... I mean u could kit bash the Giles figure outfit and to make a mayor one, then all that needs to be produced is the head sculpt.... albeit its proably the most difficult part of the process, but im sure it would cut down the costs dramaticly.
A watcher Wesley figure would be done in this way to. Then we'd have a Wesley headscult. Bang on Xanders pants (in black), 'city of' angels shoes and shirt (in green) and vampire angels jacket (in brown) and you've got a Angel Wesley....
I can dream.

Wesley was an important character to Angel. But demons will always be more interesting from a visual standpoint. That's one reason that Giles took so long.

I believe that a contributing factor to all this is that Sideshow just can't do human portraits very well. So when a character such a Wesley gets made it's success solely depends on how much it looks like the character.

I mean there have been very few great human head sculpts. Spike, Angel and Buffy were the best, and after that nothing half as strong.

That's why I think we ended up with characters such as Dru and Darla in vampface (as it's easier to do) and an erratic selection of Demons.

What bothers me the most is that all they needed to do on any of them is a headsculpt. They've already rehashed many of the outfits and every came with pretty much the same selections of stakes.

olvidadero said:
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you. I gess it depends on tastes but I think human sculpts are slightly better than demon sculpts. While a demon sculpt is easily more appealing to a wider public, a human likeness is, to me, much more attractive. When a human is well done (GD Buffy, human Spike), it blows me away, a demon is easier to do (I'm not implying that it's a "lesser" work, you all know what I mean).

The decision of doing a Wes figure should not be based so much on the appearance of the character, but more on the importance to the show. I don't agree Cordelia was a more important character. In terms of presense, Wesley was in more episodes than Cordy (he was almost from the beginning to the end), being one of the best developed characters in the Buffyverse, going through an amazing transformation over the years. To me, Wesley Wyndam-Pryce is one of the best characters ever created for a tv series, and he should me inmortalized in 1:6 scale.

If we make a list, count me in for a Wesley, a Fred and a Gunn. I'd also love Connor, Lilah, Harmony and Lindsay...

I also think human sculpts are better but it doesn't mean they're more appealing to a bigger audience.

I do because Cordelia was good in Buffy and got even better in Angel. The only major part Wesley had to do with in Angel from what i recall was season 3 when he took Connor. Cordelia was part of the big plan all along. The powers that be made her meet with Angel (as i'm sure you know this) so how can she not be more important than Wesley confuses me.

Slayerverse98 said:
Cordelia was part of the big plan all along. The powers that be made her meet with Angel (as i'm sure you know this) so how can she not be more important than Wesley confuses me.

Well, the "big plan" was kind of rushed in the fourth season to make Charisma's pregnancy fit into the story. I'm sure she was not conceived as the key element of the plan from the beginning, but it was all more a result of the inconvenience of the actor's pregnancy. I can't believe you reduce Wesley's character to "he just took Connor" (don't mean to start a fight or anything :)). His transformation from that point is excellent... jeez, he got her throat cut, he slept with Lilah! His relationship with Fred was great, but his relationship with Illyria was devastating! He played a major part in the end (even though he didn't kill his assigned partner). And before that we cannot forget his goofy adorable phase.

I'm not saying Cordelia was not an important character. She's one of my favourites of the whole Whedonverse, I'm just saying that Wesley was equally important, but I gess it depends on the eyes of who's watching.

sueworld said:
I believe that a contributing factor to all this is that Sideshow just can't do human portraits very well. So when a character such a Wesley gets made it's success solely depends on how much it looks like the character.

I mean there have been very few great human head sculpts. Spike, Angel and Buffy were the best, and after that nothing half as strong.

That's why I think we ended up with characters such as Dru and Darla in vampface (as it's easier to do) and an erratic selection of Demons.
Right you are sueworld, that is the key point. In this day and age nothing but the best will only be aceptable. We all remember the sideshow Faith fiasco; such an attractive girl as Eliza Dushku, her sideshow version looks like a monkey. A real shame. If sideshow doesn't have the desire or talent to make a realistically looking Wesley, Faith & Illyria then they shouldn't even bother. Friends at SS, take a lesson from the REAL Star Wars trilogy when Yoda says to Luke; Do or do not, there is no try.

Right you are sueworld, that is the key point. In this day and age nothing but the best will only be aceptable. We all remember the sideshow Faith fiasco; such an attractive girl as Eliza Dushku, her sideshow version looks like a monkey. A real shame. If sideshow doesn't have the desire or talent to make a realistically looking Wesley, Faith & Illyria then they shouldn't even bother. Friends at SS, take a lesson from the REAL Star Wars trilogy when Yoda says to Luke; Do or do not, there is no try.

i guess thats why they quit the line of figures.

i added the banner...i have to try. I would love a connor, illyria and riley. wesley would be great too. Not top on my list, but I will still buy any buffy or angel figures that come out. Please SS....do not let them go....

Back