Show Us Your Troops (Sideshow/Marmit/Medicom/etc.)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marmits where $150 on the secondary market 13yrs ago, whilst hasbros where $20-$40 I also thought they where like model statues which put me off them,
my marmit shelf is a stand out ( in a good way ) on my shelf, wished I'd gotten them all when they came out

:rotflMore like elongating snouts.:lol It's a gorgeously detailed "Rodian" sculpt, it just doesn't look like Greedo specifically. And taking off the incorrect SSC belt/s doesn't help - Greedo did have a gunbelt in the movie but that wasn't included.

And yeah, a more faux-leather type material would have nailed the suit, though all pleather goes bad eventually. The sailcloth material sort of looks okay though.

There were different masks used during filming I'm pretty sure, so it's an 'amalgam' sculpt I guess.

I meant that you can replace the belt with something else - of course.. :lol

Hey, it is what it is. :duff

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Marmits where $150 on the secondary market 13yrs ago, whilst hasbros where $20-$40 I also thought they where like model statues which put me off them,
my marmit shelf is a stand out ( in a good way ) on my shelf, wished I'd gotten them all when they came out

The Hasbro's 12" exclusive sets - like the FAO Schwartz ones - were really expensive ($60-80 if I recall.) After the Marmit Sandie, ATAT driver and Fett I gave up and crawled back to Hasbro. You needed advanced modeller skills to make them work and I had none back then. Thankfully I hung onto them.

There were different masks used during filming I'm pretty sure, so it's an 'amalgam' sculpt I guess.

I meant that you can replace the belt with something else - of course.. :lol

Hey, it is what it is. :duff

I thought it was two sets of hands not masks, but maybe you're right. It's sort of cruel that Han kills Greedo but SSC's Greedo belt seems to be inspired by Han's belt.:lol

But yeah - creatures are what Sideshow does best and I really hope Sideshow delves deeper into the Cantina and Jabba's Palace (areas HT will barely touch.):duff

Thanks guys. Definitely a labour of love. Nerdy, geeky love.

View attachment 140124

View attachment 140125

I also tried modding my snowtroopers. Colour match is perfect; I like it better than stock but may tweak it:

View attachment 140126

View attachment 140129

*Edit: Sorry about the filters, lighting's not great, phone cam etc. Anyway, the shrouds on the snow troopers are cut from vinyl, backed with stiff paper and lightly weathered with a hit of satin varnish.

Where I'm running into trouble is the shape of the SSC snowie helm...great figure but that flare is a little wide and creates a wider shroud effect than maybe I'd like, but it's very, very close to the screen appearance based on a cursory viewing of ESB.

Damn dude, those look sharp. Really well done.

Those Snowies look fantastic. I need to do that mod to mine. Good stuff.

I need to find a back pack for my sandtrooper. then I can put him together once im done I will have at least two marmit and three sideshow sandtroopers.

That's Walrusman dude. :lol

No, Greedo has very "skinny finger" hands (suction cup ends) in the main U.K. shots and totally different "fatter finger" hands (that I think originally went with the Duros) in the U.S. later cantina pick-ups. The two shoots also used different vests, though about the same color.

But yeah, Walrusman has ping pong paddles Vs. POTA hairy hands.:lol

I think the Greedo mask is the same for both shoots, though played by different actors, so distorting the mask slightly differently (and the later one has a moving mouth.)

Hope that's totally confusingly clear:slap:lol

finally picked up one of the newer deluxe clones & thought I'd drop a quick pic. Really like this guy, feels like a definitely step up from the older ones in terms of quality to me. Debating on the 501st or echo & fives now.. (I'm sure I'll fold get both lol)

Troopers look sharp, nice work.

Thanks, means a lot coming from fellow Freaks. I used screen shots, Freaks posts and the MEPD Costume Reference Library while building these up.

The pouch, blaster and backpack configuration on my sergeant, as well as the weathering pattern to a good extent, are screen accurate to the trooper out in the desert that said "Look Sir, droids!" ... one of the squad leaders is close to the officer who delivered the "Someone was in the pod..." lines, although the backpack is different and the helmet brow is higher. I prefer the helmet the way it is, but doubt I'll find the correct backpack for less than a small fortune.

I'll probably use small strips of vinyl to cover the ridged shoulder straps on the armour, but according to MEPD the straps should be canvas attached from the inside, so it won't be 100% canon unless I do some cutting; I just don't think the armour is moulded to allow for that much modding without losing its shape.

The other squad leader will be about screen accurate to the "Cantina Captain". I say 'about' because the weathering isn't dead-on but after looking at endless references to screen-used sandtrooper armour, I concluded that what looks good on film wouldn't look as good on a 1/6 figure, hence the small compromises.

Unless their in EP VII it could be 3 or 4 years or more before they get to them, unless they rush all OT stuff out the door before EP VII. Rushed production = Bad Quality Control.

The regular stormtroopers shown so soon was a surprise, but who knows when they'll be released...as for waiting years for a HT sandie release...no thanks. Besides, I enjoy working on these old Marmit kits and you're right, there's no guarantee as to how the HT versions will turn out. It's a given some things will be better, but things like helmet sculpt, proportions, weathering...I'll just wait and see.

Definitely a labour of love that's paid off, troops look 1st class:clap

Thanks! :duff That being said there's just a little more I can do...

[...] That looks awesome. I've saved some white bag material for modding the Snowie cowl but can't bring myself to do it.:gah:

Took me a while but I just said "hell with it" and pulled out the rubber cowls. They come off relatively easily and if you're careful they won't tear, allowing for replacement down the line if you need to.

I don't know what your bag material looks like, but you may want to try the vinyl route...they're rolls of adhesive craft vinyl (matte white); I leave the backing papers on to give structure and stiffness to the cowls.

I used some ESB promo shots and 501rst costume references, then tweaked the patterns a little for the Sideshow helmet. I use two versions, one slightly narrower than the other.

You can't see it in the filtered photos I posted, but there's a very small hint of yellow ochre mixed with titanium white pigments and a satin varnish to bring the colour, weathering and lustre of the cowls in line with the rest of the costume.

I've said it before, but I'll never grow tired of saying it... it's amazing how Marmits are still the benchmark by which all other Storm and Sandtroopers are measured. How could those guys get the shapes and proportions so right so long ago?

Makes me wonder who those guys were...they nailed it better than anyone before or since; although the sculpts on those GG busts were possibly a hair more accurate. And that unreleased Vader was smokin'.

What body did you use for your stormies?

Not sure if that was directed at me...the Marmits are built on to Soldier Story Para Jumper S2 bodies. I think I may got slightly different versions of those bodies...and the really cool thing is that there are slight variations between kit moulds, so the way the armour sits and the posture/stature of each trooper has slight but noticeable variations.

I think it was Anwe who recommended the bodies originally...not sure. Whoever it was, thanks...spot on!

Back