Should i buy the PS3 just for the blu ray player?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks , my tv is 37 inch and its 720p . I watched cloverfield last night via xbox live in hd and it was amazing. I have never watched a movie though in 1080p so I'm not sure what the difference would be like. If I want them all in HD though I would have to invest in a PS3 , thats why I'm hesitating. So at the size of my tv , would the difference not be all that big anyway ?.
Thanks for the reply !. :rock

get up, walk 6 feet to the PS3, flip the switch. It's not THAT bad. wow.

I had held down the button twice and it just beeped at me and refused to turn off, so I got up and flipped the switch--and fried the hard drive and had to replace it. Manually overriding the PS3's shutdown procedure while it's thinking can be a recipe for disaster.

Another nice thing about the PS3 is it plays downloads. I've watched that Will.i.am Yes We Can video on it, some BBC programmes, and it even plays art house films on special subjects. :naughty

Also it's an easier way to play MP3s through my stereo than having to plug my MP3 player in.

If only it played hulu, I'd be all set.

thanks , my tv is 37 inch and its 720p . I watched cloverfield last night via xbox live in hd and it was amazing. I have never watched a movie though in 1080p so I'm not sure what the difference would be like. If I want them all in HD though I would have to invest in a PS3 , thats why I'm hesitating. So at the size of my tv , would the difference not be all that big anyway ?.
Thanks for the reply !. :rock

On a 37" screen, most people can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. They are very close in appearance on that size of a screen. But watching Blu-ray movies on your screen, they will still look amazing.

guys do you think its worth going blu ray in 720p?

The human eye can't distinguish between 720p and 1080p until the diagonal reaches around 42" or so.

As for purchasing a PS3 solely for BR's, thats the main reason I want one but with the supposed BR player comming out for 360 I may just wait and pick up an Xbox instaed since it has more games I want at the moment.

Bear in mind the 360 is probably below average as a DVD player so I wouldn't necessarily stake my HD future on a Microsoft BD add on. That said the PS2 was a terrible DVD player but the PS3 is a brilliant BD player so there's always hope for improvement.

If you aren't going to play games then pass on the PS3. Standalone players can be had for $230-$250 now and they aren't as noisy.

I sit about four feet from my PS3 and can't ever hear it. Weird.

I had held down the button twice and it just beeped at me and refused to turn off, so I got up and flipped the switch--and fried the hard drive and had to replace it. Manually overriding the PS3's shutdown procedure while it's thinking can be a recipe for disaster.

Hmmm, Interesting never thought of that! But I'm a rebel, I even turn off my PC without shutting down Windows. :horror

Back