Should Hot Toys have stuck to a standard size for their Star Wars bases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chalor - if you look at Greedo, the belt is an HT Han Solo one minus the leg strap - which I used to create the sling for Boushh's thermal detonator, it's not bad, glad it has the stud detail - it's a superglue job.

Always do a dry test before you do final sticking. I did not glue it onto the figure, I pushed the strap over the Boushh grey belt after it was dry.
The TD was also primed them chromed with spray paint.
Hope this helps.

I actually prefer round ones like what SSC offer perviously.

Anyway, its always the bigger the better for me.

Would be nice if 2 figures could go on a single base.

The focus is the figure, not the stand. The stand should be almost invisible. The only thing it should be doing is assisting the figure in standing.

:exactly: while some of the diorama-style bases are nice, they just take up too much room. I'm a K.I.S.S. fan (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

My fav two to a base.

I also have three to a base.

But since, I've added Wolverine for four and the unleashed can't fly till I get higher shelves.

I prefer no stands, but I've yet to follow up on that. With Hot Toys, there are some I just don't really want to take a tumble, Sideshow just don't stand on their own, and most the rest don't have stands or are fine without them.

The Rebels are consistent and all make one fine floor, but with the Empire, I have a couple reds, blacks a blue and weathered... it's like it's just cobbled together from some old YT-1300 stock light freighter or something not the Deathstar.

The best would've been if they had just kept with the simple black stands across ALL lines so that they all look consistent. I've been grumpy at the stand situation for the last couple of years.

I'm with this guy. I would have liked to have had the current bases but also have the standard legacy bases included as well.

I'll eventually replace all my stock SW bases with the black 5" round ones made by Coco. I really don't need to display the character's name, and the round ones allow me to get the figures a little closer together for more display space. So far I've replaced the bases for Ant-Man, DOFP Wolverine, AOU Cap, and the Sandtrooper...and have purchased a plain black droid one for 3PO and R2.

For the cost of the figures, I think every figure should come with the small black oval stand regardless if it has a diorama base or not. I forget which Iron Man figure it was (I want to say the Mark IV from Iron Man 2) included both an oval stand and diorama stand.

Personally I find large stands visually distracting and make displays too busy. I also hate the name plates. I know who the figure is. I don't need a label on it. If I like Darth Vader enough to pay $300, it is safe to assume I know who he is.

The focus is the figure, not the stand. The stand should be almost invisible. The only thing it should be doing is assisting the figure in standing.

:goodpost:

Personally, I am all for individual stands that give individual characters a little extra 'pop!' At $200 plus per figure, they can afford to go the extra mile

Yeah, I got a little irritated at all the different stand sizes but some are really cool. I really like the snow bases that came with SS's Hoth figures and I use the partial floor stand that came with HT's ESB Luke. And I do definitely like a nice stand that adds to a specific, iconic scene if it's done well but I really don't like HT TFA stands or SS's basic black big hexagon stands. HT's grating stands are kinda cool but they really don't work for all poses. Also not a fan of nameplates on stands.

But sometimes a scene specific stand is nice. Especially when it enhances those iconic moments from a film.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Like Tinman said, sometimes the simple, round black ones are the way to go though.

image.jpeg

:lol

I did a double figure stand a while back. Looked good but I didn't think it'd be that popular so I never revisited it.

image.jpeg

I don't mind, it adds a bit of variety on the shelf. I even got a extra sandbase for my coming HT Boba since I think it fits better for ROTJ Boba.

I personally like the oval stands the best. They take up less space and you have more options in terms of posing the figure at various angles, being that you can simply rotate the stand any which way without it looking hokey.

I chose to have some consistency with my grated floor display stands so i painted them gold. I really like the design of these stands over the hexagonal ones.

IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG

I don't mind the grille stands. It's the colours that would annoy me if I had more than just the red for villains, blue for heroes. When they start using one offs like for the Sandtrooper (even though its my favourite of the OT stands), then it bugs me. I really dislike the standard bases used on a lot of HT releases that are usually branded with the movie name, and the Episode VII hex bases aren't much better. Kylo looks even more out of place on my shelf alongside my OT stuff.

But I'm a fan of of a well-done diorama stand. My favourite and sole diorama stand in my relatively limited collection is the HT Terminator T-800 base that looks straight out of the carpark in the police shootout scene. The details really add to the figure. While I haven't seen it in hand, I imagine the new Iron Man Mk. 45 would lose a bit of shelf presence on a simple black stand.

Back