Should Hot Toys have stuck to a standard size for their Star Wars bases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Day

Super Freak
Reaction score
Am I the only collector who wishes Hot Toys had stuck to a standard size for their Star Wars bases, basically a rectangle with some kind of environment on top for the figure to stand on? When they first came out I didn't like the bases - they looked a bit chunky and boring - but as I move figures around and look at different display options the more I realise that they do the job brilliantly. You get a line of figures with adequate space for them to look their best, which line up perfectly and give the impression of something that is reminiscent of the old Kenner line ups. They look absolutely fantastic on a shelf, and the height adds to the impression. I got a couple extra for the Tama Threepio and SS Artoo but they're quite pricey.

I was pleased that they gave Fett one, albeit a slightly weird Death Star/ Jabba's Palace hybrid. However, Yoda isn't coming with this kind of base, and the TFA figures have something different, that hexagon. Obviously I wouldn't want Death star grates with all of them but how hard would it be to do something like the Sandtrooper - the rectangle with sand on top, or mud, or snow...?

Rant over! Obviously if you're not somewhat OCD then you can go about your business. Move along, move along...

I'm in agreement with you. I wish they'd keep the standard bases throughout the SW range. I happen to like the DS grille design.
Some collectors will roll their eyes or think WTF - but I've disposed of my Sandtrooper base in favour of the DS design for continuity in a line-up.
Resprayed with those desert colours to keep something of the HT art direction intact.
Even older figures seem upgraded with them to stand on...I've done away with all name tags, to me they're surplus to requirements.
As for Yoda, I think those environment bases work quite well if they're in a line-up, either at the end of a row or dead centre.
HT SANDTROOPER 01.jpg
SSC GREEDO 06 NO FLASH.jpg
SSC BOUSHH 01.jpg

I avoid using bases when i can. I'd rather have HT/Sideshow or some other company offering themed diorama bases to allow for multiple figures displays. HT grilled base is most certainly the way to go as you can either display one figure or create displays as large as you want keeping some sort of coherence.

I think consistency would have been the logical choice, but so much for that.

As for myself, I prefer either no stands or non-diorama stands with nice typography or graphics. The first option is the most minimal, while the second ties the piece in with the property it's from and feels a little pop-culture-y. Is that a word? ;)

I avoid using bases when i can. I'd rather have HT/Sideshow or some other company offering themed diorama bases to allow for multiple figures displays. HT grilled base is most certainly the way to go as you can either display one figure or create displays as large as you want keeping some sort of coherence.

Agreed. Dioramas, backdrops (detolf friendly), and additional head sculpts with actual expressions if we want to add to our figures. I really doubt many people marvel at a black base with a character name on it.

The best would've been if they had just kept with the simple black stands across ALL lines so that they all look consistent. I've been grumpy at the stand situation for the last couple of years.

Agreed, I don't like the bigger stands... only exception would be a cool diorama piece like the Sentinel head that came with TLS Wolverine. But I think even he came with an additional regular stand.

I think HT had the best stand design with the small oval they used for years; really wish they'd just go back to that. Or include it in addition to the pseudo diorama ones they're now putting out.

For the cost of the figures, I think every figure should come with the small black oval stand regardless if it has a diorama base or not. I forget which Iron Man figure it was (I want to say the Mark IV from Iron Man 2) included both an oval stand and diorama stand.

Personally I find large stands visually distracting and make displays too busy. I also hate the name plates. I know who the figure is. I don't need a label on it. If I like Darth Vader enough to pay $300, it is safe to assume I know who he is.

The focus is the figure, not the stand. The stand should be almost invisible. The only thing it should be doing is assisting the figure in standing.

I also hate the name plates. I know who the figure is. I don't need a label on it. If I like Darth Vader enough to pay $300, it is safe to assume I know who he is.

LOL - that had me in stitches, I reminds me of working those summer jobs as a teenager when I'd have to wear a namebadge! "Hi, my name's David."
Absolutely, we know the character we're buying, it's not an expo where the character needs a label. Still, I suppose it's nicely done in metal if that's your sort of thing.

For the cost of the figures, I think every figure should come with the small black oval stand regardless if it has a diorama base or not. I forget which Iron Man figure it was (I want to say the Mark IV from Iron Man 2) included both an oval stand and diorama stand.

Personally I find large stands visually distracting and make displays too busy. I also hate the name plates. I know who the figure is. I don't need a label on it. If I like Darth Vader enough to pay $300, it is safe to assume I know who he is.

The focus is the figure, not the stand. The stand should be almost invisible. The only thing it should be doing is assisting the figure in standing.

Lol, I know what you mean about the nameplates, they're complete junk and I never use them. But the SW stands have one great advantage over the oval ones, you can line them up exactly due to the shape, whereas with the oval ones you have to do it by eye. I also don't trust my Tama Threepio not to tip it over due to the weight, and Artoo won't fit on an oval one.

I'm thinking of spray painting mine in different bright, primary colours to give my shelf that Kenner cardback feel.

I liked the grills, except that they are all different colours...

I'm in agreement with you. I wish they'd keep the standard bases throughout the SW range. I happen to like the DS grille design.
Some collectors will roll their eyes or think WTF - but I've disposed of my Sandtrooper base in favour of the DS design for continuity in a line-up.
Resprayed with those desert colours to keep something of the HT art direction intact.
Even older figures seem upgraded with them to stand on...I've done away with all name tags, to me they're surplus to requirements.
As for Yoda, I think those environment bases work quite well if they're in a line-up, either at the end of a row or dead centre.
View attachment 268820
View attachment 268821
View attachment 268822

That's an awesome sling for the thermal detonator! Did you custom make it, or was it something you purchased like that? I as well have the exclusive; so Boussh holds both accessories. But I love the idea of have the detonator displayed.

They should of made them all the same color imo. Not a big fan and actually prefer sideshows new stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still buy the generic oval stands and use those instead of these newer ones that take up half a city block to display.

I'm a fan of diorama bases. Really like the grates from the flooring of the Death Star that most of the A New Hope figures have. I feel like the sand style one for the Sandtrooper and the Dagobah base for Yoda work well though. I don't care for the stands from The Force Awakens really. I'd much prefer diorama style over just large oversized bases. In that case I'd rather just have the oval stand instead.

Hey guys,
I'm looking for an affordable Hot Toys red grated Star Wars stand (either the regular red one or the darker Fett one). If anyone is interested in selling one, please PM me. I'd like to get one for my TIE pilot that I just ordered.....and really don't want to pay the super high US prices on eBay.

Thanks,
Travis

Back