Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a missed marketing opportunity. No action figures or role play toys? What's the point of making Holmes an action hero if not to make action figures?

The reason I bring this up, is because my kid just came up to me, said something about distracting me, fractured ribs, and psychological recovery. I wasn't really paying attention. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of me.

This may be a missed marketing opportunity. No action figures or role play toys? What's the point of making Holmes an action hero if not to make action figures?

The reason I bring this up, is because my kid just came up to me, said something about distracting me, fractured ribs, and psychological recovery. I wasn't really paying attention. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of me.

I have a strong feeling HT will pick up on this sometime next year..........especially seeing as there is def gonna be a sequel. Safe to say, I would buy anything they made from Sherlock Holmes. :rock

I got to admit I was really disapointed with this. I felt the story was weak and making Holmes more of an action hero than a detective was a big mistake. Yeah there were the classic Holmes detective moments, but I felt this was more of an action movie than mystery. I think they should have just taken one of the numerous Holmes stories and adapted them. Or if they are going to come up with their own stories, come up with something interesting like Holmes tracking Jack the Ripper or something.

I'll definately go see a sequel to see if they improve things and I'd also get a Holmes figure just to have a Sherlock on my shelf, but I'm still not please with this version of Sherlock.

Not a fan of this movie, neither were the others that went with me. It's funny but I actually enjoyed Ninja Assassin at the cheap seats more than I enjoyed this flick. It definitely is shaping up for a sequel, but one that I won't see at the expensive theatres. I'll save that for the cheapies.

Went and saw it this morning. It was just OK. I was let down a bit. My GF loved it, but it just didn't click for me. Seemed to fast paced for a "detective" movie. Rachel McAdams' character didn't thrill me either. I just found it hard to believe that Holmes would goo cookoo for her.

I also thought it was funny how they were setting up the sequel halfway through the movie. I'll definitely go see it, but I hope its more of a detective movie than an action movie.

I loved it, and I was impressed by the little nods to canon as I wasn't expecting anything at all.

I can separate the different Holmes stories and films, and I thought this was extremely solid, especially the relationship between Holmes and Watson - it was definitely the movie's strength, which will only enchance the inevitable seuqel with Moriarty and Holmes facing off.

Once Hot Toys gives me a Rorschach and a Nite Owl (please and thank you), I'd definitely buy a Holmes and a Watson, but no one else.

I loved the Holmes/Watson interaction and think slowly setting up Moriarty was a brilliant move as it gives us a proper introduction to him. It was a bit fast paced but (sadly) I think it needed to be. It was nearer to Holmes than I thought it would be really, and for that I am thankful.

I loved the Holmes/Watson interaction and think slowly setting up Moriarty was a brilliant move as it gives us a proper introduction to him. It was a bit fast paced but (sadly) I think it needed to be. It was nearer to Holmes than I thought it would be really, and for that I am thankful.

:lecture

I agree, though I haven't read the books so I can't speak to the last.

I found Drew "Moriarty" McWeeny's review interesting. It not only revealed how he got his nickname, but also commented on how the general public might find this more of a departure for the character than the devoted fan.

https://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/the-m-c-review-sherlock-holmes-gives-robert-downey-jr-room-to-play

I need to carve out some time for this one, I am glad to see it getting a positive reception.

I love that some of you here are already saying how much this movie was like the original Doyle, and I loved that review too. How many of you whining that it wasn't a "detective" movie actually READ any Holmes? A LOT of his stories...a majority in fact...ended with a chase, or a fistfight, or guns blazing...action was a BIG part of Holmes originally, and I'm glad to see it back. I was a little wary of the boxing, but Richie managed to make that make SENSE for Holmes as well. Not to mention that the occult and mysticism was a factor in a few Holmes stories, especially the very popular "Hound of the Baskervilles." So the supernatural storyline fit. The only thing I worried is that they would leave it resolved like they did in Scooby-Doo - an awful movie - where you get to the end and it really WAS supernatural. But no, in true Holmes fashion, he explains it all in lightening-fast form that will leave you scratching your head until you go back and read it (or see it, in this case) a second time. It had a slight Steampunk factor, but it wasn't TOO outrageous, so I could live with it. I give it a 4 out of 5.

The only thing I wish is that they would have referenced Holmes drug addiction a bit more. They showed him taking tranquilizers and drinking, though not taking Opium injections like he was known to do.

Overall, very happy, and this coming from a big Holmes BOOK fan.

LOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!! Highly entertaining. scenes of the industrialization of London fantastic. The star of the whole movie Rachel McAdams' mole on the left side of her chin. Yee HAW!

Just came back from watching it. Originally went to see Avatar but it was booked solid. I'm glad i went to see it now. RDJ and Jude Law are a great double act. It was a suprisingly enjoyable story and i cant wait to pick it up on BR. I don't think it holds up if you analyze it in detail though, but take it as it is and it's a good romp.
It was weird seeing the guy who played Gorman in Aliens in the film because i was watching it last night. Boy he's AGED badly.

Last edited:
Saw it today and really enjoyed it... solidly entertaining movie and some very good performances.

Also, nice that they didn't blow their wad on the first film and set it up nicely for a number of sequels.

Back