Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At SDCC Joel Silver described this Holmes as a Victorian James Bond. So that should give you some idea where they're taking this franchise.

I wonder if this Holmes will be a drug addict like the old Holmes was. Wonder if that would bother RDJ with his past problems.

Rachel McAdams Meets "Holmes"

Sherlock Holmes now has a leading lady in Rachel McAdams, who recently joined the cast of the Guy Ritchie version of the classic. She will star opposite Robert Downey Jr. as his love interest (duh) Irene Adler, who actually is a character in one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books, A Scandal in Bohemia written in 1891.

Additionally, a comic book, written by producer Lionel Wigram, will be released as well, and was the basis for the new iteration of Holmes.

It's Elementary That Jude Law is Playing Watson, Watson
Sep 19 2008

Variety reports that, in addition to slowly, inadvertently transforming into Phil Collins, Jude Law will be taking on the role of Watson in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes:

Jude Law is negotiating to join Robert Downey Jr. in "Sherlock Holmes," the drama that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.
Law is expected to close a deal shortly to play Watson, the super-sleuth's sidekick.

I love Jude Law as a supporting actor so much more than as a lead. Should be an interesting choice, though not how I typically imagine or see Watson portrayed.

RDJ is now like Johnny Depp to me, every roles he plays turns into amazing performances.

Well I don't know if I would compare him to Depp but I see what you're saying, after Iron Man i've gained alot of respect for him as an actor. He's definetely one of the best today IMO.

Sounds like some promising casting. I'd like to see Ritchie tone down his signature touches on this one a bit. Try something a little more conventional and see what he can do. I don't have much connection to the Holmes mythos so I won't really be concerned if it doesn't stick true to the old books.

Sherlock Holmes Begins Production in London
Source:Warner Bros. Pictures October 1, 2008

Principal photography is set to begin on location in London for the action adventure mystery Sherlock Holmes, being helmed by acclaimed filmmaker Guy Ritchie (RocknRolla), for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures.

Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

Based on an original story/comic book by Lionel Wigram, inspired by the classic tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the film will be produced by Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin. Steve Clark-Hall and Bruce Berman are serving as executive producers.

In a dynamic new portrayal of Conan Doyle's famous characters, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

"What we've done is hopefully launched a franchise of Sherlock Holmes stories," Silver said today in London.

Sherlock Holmes will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

robertdowneyjrsherlockhka9.jpg

Sherlock Holmes Spotted in London!
Source:Just Jared October 10, 2008

Just Jared has posted the first photos of Robert Downey Jr. and director Guy Ritchie on the set of Warner Bros. Pictures' Sherlock Holmes. They were filming scenes in Central London on Friday.

In the film, Downey Jr. brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

Have any of you guys started playing https://221b.sh yet? I started with the wife a few days ago and it was fun, but got sick and we haven't been back. I'm hoping to give it another go this weekend.

Note: It requires two players (though not necessarily at the same time) and a facebook account.

First 2 reviews are in. They are both positive. One even states...
"Guy Ritchie is back and delivers a strong, gay romance." :lol

I'm even more pumped for this because it was announced that the "Inception" trailer will be running in front of this.

This movie was sold out the first 2 shows on Christmas Day.

It's a great amusement - the interaction between Downey and Law is great - the plot is a bit mundane, but the action is cool. It's a fun romp - but not something that will live in film history for decades, or even weeks.

saw it on xmas day. this movie gets by mainly on the chemistry between downey jr and law. they're a pretty funny on-screen pair. and downey is as charming and magnetic as ever.

the story itself is pretty easy to figure out. an online critic compared the true machinations of the bad guy's plot to those of scooby doo villains. which is pretty spot-on. so it doesn't really take a mind of holmes' calibre to deduce what's going on.

the thing about this movie that i really loved was the production design. guy ritchie's vision of england looks gorgeous in a grungy, monochromatic sort of way. also liked the score a lot. gave the film a bohemian, playful kind of energy.

overall, a decent, fun flick with a couple of issues that prevent it from being a stronger film.

This was the only film this year that I enjoyed even more than Inglourious Basterds.........and that's saying alot. I thought the story was great. Loved the the scenes where you see Holmes' thought process, and also the re-telling/explanation scenes, especially the one where you see Holmes follow Irene to the coach. The humour was well placed, and RDJ's and Law's chemistry really brought life to the film.
Really wanting to see this one again, and soon! :rock

I *REALLY* enjoyed this movie, and I hope it becomes a series. Like most Holmes stories, the good stuff isn't in the whodunnit, but the how, and Holmes' deductions.

Good writing, fantastic cast, brilliant score. I, for one, am ready for more!

Back