Setting up a Man Shed - Requestiong opinions, thoughts, experience etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCFETT

Super Freak
Reaction score
So my wife is preggers with 3 months (due date may 4th, what's the odds?) to go and my spare room, where my collection resides, is in dire need of a new location, asap. I live in NYC, so space is a bit of a crisis. I have a 2 bed 2 bath place... and my wife is not going to let me turn the livingroom into a star wars exhibition. I DO have the luxury of a backyard (yay! :panic: if you live in NYC, you know that is the equivalent of gold).

Sooo what I was thinking is to buy a shed and place it in the back yard. Something like this:
Shop Heartland Metropolitan Lean-To Engineered Wood Storage Shed (Common: 8-ft x 12-ft; Interior Dimensions: 7.5-ft x 12-ft) at Lowes.com

and basically hook it up like shown in this video: Build Your Own She Shed

Just big enough to line both side walls with detolfs, put up some shelves, display my Fett armor and set up a desk where I can work on my projects and stuff.

MY CONCERNS: NYC weather. I plan to insulate the wood shed, set up a nice electric heater in there, and maybe an AC for the summer. So I'm thinking it will be ok. But does anyone live in really cold weather areas with their collection? Ever have any issues? What about hot weather? I will do my best to maintain the temp in the shed and with it insulated and all it shouldn't be too bad... but any thoughts opinions or experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Open to creative shed suggestions as well!

Thanks guys!

JC

PS backyard is all cement, has three drains, I've read that you need to set up a "sill" base to put a wood shed on cement.I may hire someone to construct the shed for me. By the time I get home from work it's already dark. But Maybe I could knock it out over a weekend or two.

I have an outside outlet I was gonna run an extension behind my fence (so you don't see it) to the back and into the shed. I think the outside outlet is connected to my master bedroom since it shares the same wall and approx location, which gets 20amps. I'm wondering if it will be able to handle the power of the master bedroom room and the shed.

The room has: tv, 2 computer chargers, 1 lamp
Shed will have: Heater / small ac (depending on time of year) or window fan, computer charger, 1 lamp, detolf lights (currently 4, planning to expand)

I was thinking of maybe buying one of those things you can connect to your car outlet that allows you turn a microwave or something? But maybe plug that into my extension cord to give more power??

I think you may need to hire an electrician to run a devoted line to the shed if you intend to do heating and cooling. Electric heaters definitely take a lot of power and would probably trip the breakers if you are sharing the power. Definitely make sure everything is extremely well insulated and air tight (so no heat or cool escapes or comes in).

I’m in Jersey and I know the weather can get pretty extreme (100+ in the summers and 20s in the winter plus snow, rain, wind, etc), so I would say the climate control stuff is definitely the most important thing to consider and not skimp on. I don’t think figures or statues would survive without keeping the temperature within comfortable limits (~65-75°).

Good luck! And congrats on the baby!

I was hoping to avoid running another line, but you're right. I'll have to hire an electrician. It'll be worth it. Having this extra space for myself will be key. The baby is both a blessing and a curse haha. Thanks for the input Lu! If you ever head to a NYCC let me know, I'm there every year in my Fett! Cheers

Right on! We should meet up with jaycepticon, he just finished his ROTJ Fett, I got my ESB Fett, we could make you a Fett sandwich haha. If there are more freaks that come to NYCC we should def meet up!

I'd recommend putting some decent security on it as well. Sheds get broken into quite a bit as homeowners don't usually fortify them as well as their houses. Thieves may initially be after a bike but who knows what they can do to a few high-end collectibles :horror

I'd recommend putting some decent security on it as well. Sheds get broken into quite a bit as homeowners don't usually fortify them as well as their houses. Thieves may initially be after a bike but who knows what they can do to a few high-end collectibles :horror

Great advice, def gonna padlock it! My storage unit in the basement garage of my apartment complex got broken into last year, I had some figures in a dell computer box, I think they thought they were breaking in and getting a computer, but instead it was a SSC bib fortuna (thankfully he was a cheap replacement!) and some 3.75 figures, no more than $80 in stuff... but the weird thing is... they took the star wars toys and left the dell box haha. It's like they opened the dell box and were like crap.. no computer. But wait a minute.. what's up with these toys? And took the toys. So weird. Meanwhile there were two snowboards brand new I got last season with all the gear untouched, easily worth over $1,000. Robbery. They're not doing it right. Lucky me though.

My backyard is actually an apartment backyard, with no fire escape exit down to it, totally private. Somebody would have to break into my home or a neighbor's home in order to get to my backyard, or scale the 3 story building. No other way to get to it. Still gonna padlock it, maybe put one of those $60 motion sensor cameras in there too.

I would definitely put more security on it than that. If it comes with the windows as your link suggest, you need to bar those or eliminate them altogether. I would think about doing more than insulating the unit as well. Perhaps pouring a small concrete pad, most definitely need its own circuit if you are going to use electricity for heating (thee most expensive way to heat it) and think about doing some moisture control and air infiltration control. Installing a vapor barrier (warm side) and an air barrier (cold side ie, Tyvek) will ensure your collectibles stay nice and cozy. You should also not forget about insulating the roof. Be sure to give some thought to weather stripping around the door. Sheds are not generally built to be weather tight but in your case, you're gonna need it to be.

Hope it all goes well for you and congrats on the family addition.

Congrats to you and your wife JC! What kind of work do you do? Will this shed be a workspace as well as a hobbyspace?

I'll echo what has already been said here:

- definitely get a separate line
- insulate the shed as well as you can now and save yourself in comfort and bills in the longterm.
- if money is no problem have you thought about in-slab heating?
- a reverse-cycle A/C unit will take care of heating and cooling. Wall-mounted above detolf height will free up floor space.
- get rid of the windows unless you have a great view. It'll be cheaper, make the shed more secure and better insulated - and free up wall space.
- intercom to the house to keep your missus happy.

This is pretty over-the-top compared to where you started in your first post, but if you have the cash spare it'll be worth it in the medium-to-long term. Spend the money now while you have it, babies are like bottomless cash pits. You'll have a fair bit of free time in the first year, which will disappear once the bub starts walking.

Babies are awesome, but you pretty much become their servant. Every now and again you're going to want to have a place you can go where you're the king. That small wooden box in the backyard filled with dolls will feel like a palace :lol

Thanks for all the help guys!

Lejuan, thank you for all this enlightening info, especially on parenting haha!

Money is a bit of a factor, but I have some tucked away for this project.

I never even heard of an AC/ Heater combo, DEFINITELY on the list. I found this one which does a great job as a dehumidifier as well, should be perfect for the 120 square foot man cabin. ClimateRight CR13000PAC Portable Indoor Air Conditioner and Heater

I will be eliminating all windows on the shed, and instead opt for only french doors with curtains (so I can let some light in when I wish) however eliminating windows wont just make it less prone to draft, also will protect my figures from harmful sun exposure. While most of the collection will be in detolfs, I don't trust it!

Insulation and weather sealing everything will be the main priority.

I think if this gets done right it will be a huge success and finally I will have a place where I can enjoy my things without my wife's approval.

It will also double as my project room, so I'll have a desk where I can be on my computer designing, working on my Fett projects, or customizing figures etc.

The only issue I'm having is how to run a direct line for electricity. The entire back yard to my apartment is a concrete slab (underneath is garage parking for the condo owners). So I can't just dig a trench and run a conduit. Also not to mention the power box is in my main hallway of the apartment, it's just too far to run.

My only solution is to use the outside plug and run an extension. I don't know how I can safe guard it for tripping, I need to cut the power to the room and see if it also cuts the power to the outside plug. it will be a miracle if it doesn't, but I'm guessing it will because it shares the same wall (outlet in bedroom and outlet outside).

If they do share the same amps, then it's going to be trickier, because my main bedroom obviously runs an AC in the winter time, and if I run the shed AC and the bedroom AC off the same 20 amps then it could be trouble.

Is there not some sort of box that is a amp booster that I can plug to the wall and then run devices off of that?

Thanks again guys for the help!

I'm down to 2 months left to get this project on it's feet!

Right on! We should meet up with jaycepticon, he just finished his ROTJ Fett, I got my ESB Fett, we could make you a Fett sandwich haha. If there are more freaks that come to NYCC we should def meet up!

That's a really great idea! I go to NYCC every year. I used to live in LA and attended SDCC every year, but haven't made it since I moved to the east coast. But, just got my tickets to SDCC this year, so I'll be going again in July! Anyway, we should try to orangize a meet next October for NYCC. Good luck with the baby and shed! And your Fett collectible stuff is really cool; I just signed up on your mailing list.

That's a really great idea! I go to NYCC every year. I used to live in LA and attended SDCC every year, but haven't made it since I moved to the east coast. But, just got my tickets to SDCC this year, so I'll be going again in July! Anyway, we should try to orangize a meet next October for NYCC. Good luck with the baby and shed! And your Fett collectible stuff is really cool; I just signed up on your mailing list.

I don't know how you ever left that California weather! Yeah a SS Freaks meetup at NYCC would be cool! We should definitely do that! I never been to SDCC, I wanted to this year but with the baby... I mean, I'm not planning anything ahead until I see how this baby thing works out haha.

Hey what mailing list? I don't have a mailing list! haha :) You mean you followed me on Instagram or liked my facebook?

Cheers either way!

O
I don't know how you ever left that California weather! Yeah a SS Freaks meetup at NYCC would be cool! We should definitely do that! I never been to SDCC, I wanted to this year but with the baby... I mean, I'm not planning anything ahead until I see how this baby thing works out haha.

Hey what mailing list? I don't have a mailing list! haha :) You mean you followed me on Instagram or liked my facebook?

Cheers either way!

Idk! Lol. I went from your instragram to your webpage and then to the store, "Society 6"? I joined that mailing list. I think that's related to you, no? Yeah, SDCC is amazing. Can't wait to visit CA, and hopefully move back in 2017 or so, we'll see...

O

Idk! Lol. I went from your instragram to your webpage and then to the store, "Society 6"? I joined that mailing list. I think that's related to you, no? Yeah, SDCC is amazing. Can't wait to visit CA, and hopefully move back in 2017 or so, we'll see...

Well don't move away too quickly! Rumors have it 2017 and 2018 star wars celebrations will be in Orlando! Much closer when you live in NY :)

Society6 is just a place where people can get my shirts, you may have signed up for their mailing list for clothing haha

Back