Saya's paint work and customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saya

Super Freak
Reaction score
UPDATED ON PAGE 17

This is my very first try at painting a HS. This is one of Chris's sculpts of Arnold. I know my paint is rough but its my first try. This is acrylic paint (no pastels) tried shading with multiple layers and washes. Used "future floor" for the eyes and lips. The eyes were the hardest to do of the entire thing. Well, any advice is welcome. :)

IMG_0303-1.jpg

thanks for looking.

Okay, so here is another HS I am working on. I thought that It would be fun to show you pictures of my HS in the stages of paint. This one is a combination of pastels and acrylics. I think with this 2nd HS I have found what I like best (pastels!) Love to hear what you think. :)

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

I still have more to do. I'll post more as I get it done. Thx for looking.
so here is my latest pic. the eyes are still the hardest for me. still a work in progress...
001.jpg

So, here is the final product on my second HS. Still not happy with the eyes. But if I keep messing with them I'm afraid I'm gonna make them worse. Hopefully my next HS will be better.
001-1-1.jpg

003-1-1.jpg

Thx for all your advice and comments, they are very helpfull and welcome. (There is an update on page 2)

Last edited:
Great first try Saya! I'm still a novice at the headsculpt paint too, and the eyes kill me every time! Better than my first attempt! Keep it up!

Definitely looking good with those pastels!

If you are actually going to be using that head in a custom however and it's not just for practice, you really ought to fill in those airholes in the cast first with putty from now on before you start putting all your hard work into painting as a the first step. Just FYI. :D
Very nice start though! Keep it up! :chew:chew
-Rick :)

Nice work. I agree with Shatner's Toupe, slam a little putty in the air bubbles.

Sorry if anything I say is redundant, but:

If you are using 2 part epoxy putty, rub a little Vicks vapor rub on your finger tips then try smoothing out the putty or rub with warm water until smooth. I generally rinse with water but not so much as to wash away any of the putty. Let it dry then sand. I usually wait 24 hrs

Scub the head in warm water with dish soap using a dental brush (2 sided denture brushes work best)

ALWAYS PRIME, it reveals any defects that need to be fixed prior to painting as well as giving the paint something to bite into. I personally love Tamiya

If you have to re-patch, do so, then wash again with water dry with a lint free cloth.

You have the hardest part down already, a great base flesh tone to work with. The eyes look really great. Try researching the subject's skin tones through a google image search. Are they more pink, goldy, pale, suntan etc. Also, look no further than the mirror. Ears are a little more pink, around the nostrils, bottom inside of the eye, sometimes the chin and cheeks as well as the adams apple (ok, not in the case of female sculpts)

Fantastic work, keep posting images. Always nice to see the builds come alive during the painting process. Great for a first attempt. Mine looked like I was holding the brush clenched in my butt. Every build gets a little better. Keep up the fantastic work!!!

Heeeaaaa deeyyaa Saya,can yoo sculpt mee aa head foo mah Dall?

Seriously though,very good first attempt Saya,its good to se more and more people trying.Me myself have tried some repaint,turned out awful,i dont have the skills:lol

Very nice, Saya!! How do you use pastels? I've heard about it but don't know how to put it on the paints. Do you use just a brush? And what kind of pastels work with acrylic?

I'm using soft pastels that have been crushed to a powder, then I used brushes to apply them and blend. Then I sealed with dullcoat before using acrylics to help blend, seal and start the process all over again. hope that helps. :)

Nice work Saya. Keep up the work. The eyes are the most important thing in painting. The pastels look good.

I'm using soft pastels that have been crushed to a powder, then I used brushes to apply them and blend. Then I sealed with dullcoat before using acrylics to help blend, seal and start the process all over again. hope that helps. :)

Very cool, Saya. I'm learning everything I can about various types of painting styles. Never thought to use pastels until I saw your post. I'm going to have to try it!! It would be just like putting on makeup on these little guys!!

Okay, so here is my latest attempt. Tony Stark. In stages of paint.

004-1.jpg

And this is my latest paint, still have alot to go, not looking forward to doing the eyes:lol
005-1.jpg

Again, thanks for looking.:D

Ok so heres my latest. It needs more work. Some on the hair line. and well probably everywhere. :lol
001-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
You keep improving! It's very nice to see. I am happy for you!

Wow. Each one gets better. I hope I don't run out of sculpts for youu to paint.

So here's an updated photo on my last paint. I fixed the hairline and put in highlights. The suit is from the Barbie enchantted figure-it's what I had to work with right now. I repainted the shoes, Black.

008-1-1.jpg

002-4-1.jpg

There is some resin dust on the hair from drilling it to fit on the SS body-still have to finish cleaning that up.
Thanks for looking. :D

Last edited:
I keep wondering if there is a way to make a rubber stamp for the eyes, solid black circle, then another slightly smaller one with an iris cut out for the color. It would have to be smaller than a pencil eraser tip.

Back