S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the hood though? For not draping exactly like in the pics? I like how it drapes myself. The Hasbro one is cloth and it still drapes odd.

I don't see how that's the case at all.

I don't know, I guess just don't see the reason for the unconformity, to me it looks right on par with the rest of their releases and above American manufactures as is usual with imports.
People just want more excitement, I guess? Given how we've seen Kylo Ren in various promos I guess something that just manages to capture him pretty accurately might seem a little underwhelming for some (not for me though).

Yeah I myself don't see any apparent problems with SHF Kylo. To be frank, I'm pretty excited for it based on looks alone.

DSC03542.jpg

Ooh, that background. I have Luke and Vader set up on the Death Star one, they look glorious. Having a similar display for Obi-Wan and Maul would be so cool ...

@gasper how good the competitive figures are is irrelevant to me. I notice that the more I see of kylo irl, the more I notice that shf kylo lacks his profile/sillhouette. Yes that comes down to the hood a lot, but also that kylo is an entirely cloth design and the figure emulates that with 4 straight panels. It just doesn't work in any stance except standing normally, and then the hood still ruins it a bit. Kylo has a very agile, aggressive behavior to him, the figure just doesn't convey that to me (anymore) somehow.

The best features are the arms, mask, and saber, all fantastic. But making such a flowing fully clothed char into zero cloth material is really hard to pull off. And as such, it doesn't really to me unless he's just stnding straight, and thn the most signature aspect, the hood, just isn't at ll like it should be. In a normal pose kylo's hood shape signature of star wars force users is the only thing that makes recognisably star wars.

So dispite the figure having plenty of good things, it still just becomes less and less satisfying to me... If i'd buy it now im highly considering removing the skirt, scarf and hood, all of it, and make it cloth. But what the **** did I just pay a hefty price for then? Im just on the fence.

I disagree with using cloth, I can't stand the use of cloth on a figure and have never seen one that was done well. I'm glad SHF is staying away from that kind of stuff, I mean just look at Hasbro's Kylo LOL. My biggest (perhaps only) issue will always be the hood, they botched it....

kylo real.jpg

kylo toy.jpg

I think the problem was that Bandai tried to make the hood wider so there's still room to move his head in there. I'm getting both Hasbro's Kylo with Starkiller Base exclusive (for fun + it's a marked improvement over the regular Black figure) and the SHF Kylo (as my main collectible), so it's no biggie for me.

Also the hood doesn't look so bad if he's in an action pose since it looks like it's just moving around:

FIGURE-013571_05.jpg

FIGURE-013571_04.jpg

I think the problem was that Bandai tried to make the hood wider so there's still room to move his head in there. I'm getting both Hasbro's Kylo with Starkiller Base exclusive (for fun + it's a marked improvement over the regular Black figure) and the SHF Kylo (as my main collectible), so it's no biggie for me.

Also the hood doesn't look so bad if he's in an action pose since it looks like it's just moving around:

FIGURE-013571_05.jpg

FIGURE-013571_04.jpg

That second picture is stunning, exactly how I will pose him.
I'm not too concerned about the hood but if I was, I'd see if I could hair dryer mould it, depending on it's material.

That second picture is stunning, exactly how I will pose him.
I'm not too concerned about the hood but if I was, I'd see if I could hair dryer mould it, depending on it's material.
My thoughts too! Yeah, hopefully it's not too hard a material so we can still mold it with a hair dryer. :hi5:

Kylo Ren is probably my most anticipated shf fig right now.

Personally, I'm most excited for Phasma just because she looks so cool. :yess:

SHF Kylo hood is fine IMO. Look at the new poster. His hood is fairly rounded there. And yes, as others have stated, it beats the garbage soft goods of the Black Series. I think Kylo is my most anticipated next to Obi-Wan.

The poster is a side view, so it really isn't a good example to use IMO. All of the images of him face forward has the hood in a triangular type manner. I love the figure and it doesn't bother me enough (I bought 2) to pass on it obviously :wink1:

There is a chance they could do the same thing they did with vader with finn, include a headsculpt of kylo on finns release. To replicate the scene where finn had a vision of him facing kylo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamashii Nations is having a show at the end of this month (next weekend)...perhaps we will see more offerings for the coming year?

I disagree with using cloth, I can't stand the use of cloth on a figure and have never seen one that was done well. I'm glad SHF is staying away from that kind of stuff, I mean just look at Hasbro's Kylo LOL. My biggest (perhaps only) issue will always be the hood, they botched it....
Are you saying 3A or Mezco don't look good? I can show you examples that show the opposite.

@gasper how good the competitive figures are is irrelevant to me. I notice that the more I see of kylo irl, the more I notice that shf kylo lacks his profile/sillhouette. Yes that comes down to the hood a lot, but also that kylo is an entirely cloth design and the figure emulates that with 4 straight panels. It just doesn't work in any stance except standing normally, and then the hood still ruins it a bit. Kylo has a very agile, aggressive behavior to him, the figure just doesn't convey that to me (anymore) somehow.

The best features are the arms, mask, and saber, all fantastic. But making such a flowing fully clothed char into zero cloth material is really hard to pull off. And as such, it doesn't really to me unless he's just stnding straight, and thn the most signature aspect, the hood, just isn't at ll like it should be. In a normal pose kylo's hood shape signature of star wars force users is the only thing that makes recognisably star wars.

So dispite the figure having plenty of good things, it still just becomes less and less satisfying to me... If i'd buy it now im highly considering removing the skirt, scarf and hood, all of it, and make it cloth. But what the **** did I just pay a hefty price for then? Im just on the fence.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with that at all, it looks like the exact opposite to me :lol

Are you saying 3A or Mezco don't look good? I can show you examples that show the opposite.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with that at all, it looks like the exact opposite to me :lol

Show me =)

Edit: Obviously I'm talking 6 inch and below scale. I've already seen the Hot Toys Kylo Ren and it looks great!

Gaspar, is that a custom Boba? It looks spectacular!

Also, I found this slightly customized black series kylo from a poster on Rebelscum. The hood looks great:

Last edited:
Back