S.H. Figuarts DC Extended Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the looks of it the hobby pegs from HLJ still seem too small.

So I rummaged through all of my extra figures and parts. I ended up using a neck peg from an extra DC Collectibles TNBA Batman. It’s the perfect length. The spherical side of the peg is a perfect fit, but the other side which was more of a triangular shape required some super glue to fill it out. I’ve also done a handful of peg mods for my figures and this one is no different.

Simply dip it in a layer of super glue. My recommendations are the brush on Loctite or Gorilla Glue. It’s always best to start with a thin layer. Then I use a toothpick to shape it. I also use the original peg for size reference. In this case, I used the opposite end for reference because it’s already a perfect fit.

44884DB8-B30D-4B25-8C47-2443B148E684.jpg
DFE89007-BF9F-4E60-A060-E724F7CFF8CB.jpg
1D0E0703-6159-4587-B86C-8F31FDA7C4EC.jpeg
BE18938A-2F01-4627-82B5-B226D2ED2926.jpg

However it’s very important to be patient and let the glue completely cure (about 24 hours) before fitting the peg in. I can’t stress this enough. I’ve had problems with residual glue (that hasn’t cured) permanently altering the fit. And TRUST ME. You don’t want that! You’ll end up ruining the figure and as a result, the original peg may no longer fit and you’re screwed.

Also keep in mind that if it’s not enough glue (you’ll know as the peg keeps slipping out, etc.) you can always add a slight bit more and shape it with a toothpick. And again giving it about 24 hours to cure before fitting.

Here’s the result :)

2BBCFE4F-799B-4315-BBDE-ED1EC47486CC.jpg

With the legs stretched down (as SHF and Mafex have that extra hip lengthening joint) it about a 2 to 3mm difference in height from the Mafex Bats and with the legs pulled in its about a 4mm difference. So not too bad in terms of scale! I’m really happy with it!

I like it..so even the joints that you can purchase won’t help :pfft: what a waste of money and shippping costs :pfft:

Actually I don’t have the hobby pegs myself, but judging from the pics comparing it the original peg, it still looked a little small to me. In the end my modded peg is probably only a 1-2mm taller than the hobby base peg but I can be OCD about that kind of stuff.

That's nice. Can you take i pic of it with the christian bale batman if you have one? thanks man!

Sorry bud, don’t have the SHF TDK myself as I’m holding out for the new Mafex version next year. Once it’s released, I’m going to compare and choose.

Great review Adeno! So you just heated up the joints on the torso and just pulled the upper body? No need to replace the joint?

Thanks! That's correct no need to replace the joint. Originally I was supposed to replace the joint just like what others are doing, but my Batman's torso joint was very very very tight. I heated him up but the upper body wouldn't really pop off. I don't want to expose him to prolonged intense heat because it could cause some paint damage (that happened with one of my Figuarts Stone Cold toys). Eventually as I tried to pull and wiggle his upper body, it reached a point where he was already extended enough while still clinging to the original joint. So yeah if possible or if you don't have the hobby ball joint, just heat up his body and wiggle him upwards.

zz-batmanvsalien.jpg

There are reviews on youtube though where I saw how easily the upper body popped off. I imagine it's different for each Batman, some are just pushed too deep while others have been lightly popped in and that's why it pops off so easily. Look at the following review, at 4:08 you can see how the reviewer managed to pop off the upper body without much effort. I can't do that, I even applied very strong force similar to opening a jar of pickles and it just won't pop off so I'm glad the hair dryer method worked.

Here's Sassy Batman just for fun lol!

sassybatman.jpg

Thanks! That's correct no need to replace the joint. Originally I was supposed to replace the joint just like what others are doing, but my Batman's torso joint was very very very tight. I heated him up but the upper body wouldn't really pop off. I don't want to expose him to prolonged intense heat because it could cause some paint damage (that happened with one of my Figuarts Stone Cold toys). Eventually as I tried to pull and wiggle his upper body, it reached a point where he was already extended enough while still clinging to the original joint. So yeah if possible or if you don't have the hobby ball joint, just heat up his body and wiggle him upwards.

View attachment 382073

There are reviews on youtube though where I saw how easily the upper body popped off. I imagine it's different for each Batman, some are just pushed too deep while others have been lightly popped in and that's why it pops off so easily. Look at the following review, at 4:08 you can see how the reviewer managed to pop off the upper body without much effort. I can't do that, I even applied very strong force similar to opening a jar of pickles and it just won't pop off so I'm glad the hair dryer method worked.

Here's Sassy Batman just for fun lol!

View attachment 382074

That's great! Thanks for the tips Adeno :)

So, FYI. The Hobby Base double-pegs certainly don’t work. One set is too big and the other set is too small. I tried sanding down the bigger set but unless you get it perfect, they tend to pop out easily. Also, by the time you get it adjusted, it is a smidge taller but not by too much.

They definitely need to improve Jason Mamoa's head lol! His eyes have almost vanished! As for Cyborg, well from the movie I do remember his body being polygonal for some reason. My first thought was "Wow, somewhat turned this detailed polygons into quads" and so he looks blocky lol! Flash looks beautiful! I just hope the demonic screaming Superman head gets fixed somehow so that he won't look like he got possessed by Satan. I really wish they'd add extra heads to them with more facial expressions. Wonder Woman only comes with two heads I think, so does Superman as of now.

Hmmm, based on those pictures I think I'll only be picking up The Flash. Hopefully they tweak the other sculpts with time!

Just waiting on WW despite the lack of eyebrows :impatient:

She comes out on the 29th.

Saw some pics of the MAFEX Wonder Woman on the fwoosh, and I have no idea how people deluded themselves into thinking it would top SHF's effort. I think even mattel may have gotten a better likeness than MAFEX.

Saw some pics of the MAFEX Wonder Woman on the fwoosh, and I have no idea how people deluded themselves into thinking it would top SHF's effort. I think even mattel may have gotten a better likeness than MAFEX.

Look at my thread I made of the new Mafex WW from the film . It is a huge improvement to the BvS

Yeah, Aquaman is bad. For now, the proto pics for Mafex Aquaman look promising. I’m leaning toward SHF for flash though. Just goin to wait it out to compare.

Just waiting on WW despite the lack of eyebrows :impatient:

Here's Wonder Woman with eyebrows.

wonder woman 6.jpg
wonder woman 1.jpg
wonder woman 4.jpg

Looks better here. I think the lighting affected the way it looked from the previews promo pics.

Attachments

• wonder woman 9.jpg
    wonder woman 9.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 161

I agree. Mafex definitely knows how to promote figures by making it look good in photos, but totally different when it's already in hand.

Back