ROTK CR - end of the year??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Come across this interview done by Tracksounds with HOWARD SHORE just after the release of the second installment of his mammoth LORD OF THE RINGS music project: THE TWO TOWERS COMPLETE RECORDINGS.

So happy to know that:

"CC: So you've completed two and you're diving into THE RETURN OF THE KING, which probably has more unreleased music than the other two. How will you handle that?

HS: Oh yes. RETURN OF THE KING will be four compact discs. In total there will be 10 compact discs...close to 11 hours of music!"

and...

"CC: Do you think you will release the symphonic version as a live recording someday?

HS: I think I will, but not until all of the complete recordings have been released. I feel that it's best to have the music as it was composed first, then you could do a live recording."

I wouldn't mind if it is a DVD release too!! :D:D

The complete interview can be found here:

https://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatures/Interviews/interview_howard_shore_2006.htm

Do you know when that interview happened? I hadn't read it before, but it looks like it came from late 2006. I like the part where he mentions that the ROTK set might come out earlier in the year than TTT did, but I wonder now that it's July of 2007 how the progress is going. I love the first two sets and I can't wait to finish the collection with this last package.

Glad u like that... though there isn't really a thread discussing on the music of Shore on LOTR.. Personally I am not musically trained... but reading the additional pdf file that comes with the CR adds much more depth to the listening to the music.

Like Superman, should LOTR be ever re-made, the theme of the Ring, Rohan, Hobbit and everything else will, IMO, remains. Its simply irreplacable.:rolleyes:

I love these, I will most certainly be getting this -- I always thought it would be around Christmas. :monkey5

Yeah, I wish they'd get this out. I love the other two and can't wait to get my hands on this.

This was posted over on the TORn boards (have to give credit where credit is due). Doug Adams (he is the collaborator for the CR CDs) posts on moviemusic.com and on July 2nd he posted some tidbits about progress and such (scroll halfway down to see his post)

https://https://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/015404-14.html

Here are some highlights of the post.
-the plan still calls for both Arwen’s Song and Sissel’s song to be included on this set. As for placement and / or editing, I’m afraid I still have no comment only because the decision hasn’t yet been made.

-I just got back from NY yesterday afternoon from a genuinely amazing trip to Shore’s offices. He and I took a good four to five hours and ran through the entire current edit for ROTK in the listening room. It is shaping up amazingly. There’s still one last bit of unused music waiting to be tracked down, but decisions are now being made about specific track breakdowns, etc. It’s really close now, and it’s ridiculously affecting and beautiful.

-The rest of my time was dedicated to sorting through the unused music archives. This is a genuinely massive task. There are thousands of CDs worth of material… and about 3 months worth of continuous audio. Everything recorded was saved for all three films.

-there are alternate versions of nearly everything! Now some of these alternates have nothing more than one crescendo changed, which is interesting as a curiosity, but not really worthy of disc space. But there are some revelatory differences in the alternates as well; radically different approaches to mood, orchestration and thematic structure. In some cases there are entirely different compositions that matched different edits of the films.

-There is SO much material that I’m just trying to figure out how best to present it. This past weekend I felt like I heard LOTR 4… or maybe 4 and 5. I’m quite certain you will all feel the same elation…
I just wanted to share my glee from this past weekend. Despite the fact that I can’t go into details, some of these discoveries made my heart pound.

I can't wait to get this CR and I would expect it will be out at the end of this year sometime (just like the previous two).

I only have The Fellowship complete recordings right now. I have been meaning to pick up the Two Towers. I may run to Best Buy tomorrow to see if I can find it. Return of the King will be a must too.

I have been really anxious about these as well. I sure wish they would get them out sooner, rather than later.

and what are Arwen's song and Sissel's song? :confused:

I have been really anxious about these as well. I sure wish they would get them out sooner, rather than later.

and what are Arwen's song and Sissel's song? :confused:

Arwen's song is from the ROTK:EE. It's heard when Aragorn is healing Eowyn in the houses of healing (sung by Liv Tyler).

I'm not sure what Sissel's song is. She was one featured solist for many of the LOTR Symphonies when it was on tour with Howard Shore.

The only information I can find so far is from here (extracted from the site):

" played the piece over the Houses of Healing scene and it works pretty well. If you start the choir part as we cut to the Houses of Healing then the solo part starts as Aragorn wrings out the cloth and the final note plays as we cut to Faramir one last time. The scene immediately following this is of Pippin finding Merry on the battlefield (Don't get me started on how everybody has gone home and left Pippin searching alone for Merry till dark.) and the music following the Sissel piece in the ROTK EE fan credits is the music heard during this scene with Merry and Pippin. "

The site is at : https://www.geocities.com/magpie930/CBC_ROTK/rfan_credit_music.htm

Wow, I went to Best Buy today to get The Two Towers complete recordings. I found a Fellowship set ( which I already have ) and they then told me they only carry the Fellowship set in the stores now and TTT has to be ordered online.

I went online alright. I found it $10 cheaper than Best Buy shipped.

Last edited:
Wow, I went to Best Buy today to get The Two Towers complete recordings. I found a Fellowship set ( which I already have ) and they then told me they only carry the Fellowship set in the stores now and TTT has to be ordered online.

I went online alright. I found it $20 cheaper than Best Buy shipped.

Where did you buy it from?

Oh no.... can't help thinking that this set probably be even more expensive than the TTT set. I hope they can keep it down as much as possible.

Oh no.... can't help thinking that this set probably be even more expensive than the TTT set. I hope they can keep it down as much as possible.

I think it will definitely going to cost us....4 CDs!! with GST and vpost going per CD cost!! Moreover i am getting 2 sets..... :monkey2

Back