Roberto's Original Trilogy STAR WARS Toy Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA
Custom Action Figure and Photo by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:
It has honestly been a long, long road toward the making of this Custom Action Figure. Kenner's vintage Princess Leia Organa (1978), dressed in her royal robe, was an adequate enough figure for the level of detail that was available at that time. She had a very cute "doll-like" head sculpt and a simple, neutral pose. The next time Leia was offered as an action figure wearing this outfit, there was quite an uproar in the collecting community. Released in 1995 as part of Kenner / Hasbro's Power of the Force II line, "Princess Leia Organa" was sculpted with such an unflattering facial scowl that some collectors began referring to her as "monkey face Leia". The costume she was presented in bore only a passing resemblance to the robes she wore in the film, and she was sculpted in such an awkward pose that she could barely stand on her own. A full three years later, after several other heavily criticized Leia figures and face sculpts, Hasbro presented us with "Princess Leia Organa -All New Likeness". This action figure featured a costume that was sculpted much more accurately to match Leia's wardrobe from the film, however the face sculpt was only a marginal improvement over the previous offerings. Later that same year, Hasbro produced a series of "Princess Leia Collection" two-packs. These figures were beautifully decorated with soft-good appliances, and movie outfits that had never before been produced as action figures. Unfortunately, the face-sculpts and paint-deco for Leia's likeness took a HUGE step backward, appearing as arguably the WORST renditions of Leia yet. Most of the subsequent Princess Leia action figures utilized a variation of the "all new likeness" face sculpt with varying hairstyles and paint deco for the appropriate film outfit. Like many other collectors, I was losing all hope that Hasbro would ever produce an acceptable likeness of the Princess. When considering the creation of this custom figure, I was even fully prepared to go with a completely different female face sculpt, just so that I could have a "pretty" Leia. I looked into various Padme Amidala face sculpts and strongly considered one of them for use as a head sculpt source. But in the end, that didn't work either. Fortunately, Hasbro helped me out in a BIG way by producing the excellent super-poseable Princess Leia Organa in 2004 as part of their Vintage Original Trilogy Collection. Although the overall figure was a vast improvement over previous offerings, the face sculpt was STILL not quite right. I found that somehow a ball-jointed neck was just NOT flattering for what should have been the delicate features of a princess.

GOAL:
I've known for more than 9 years (the amount of time that I've been customizing Action Figures) that I was going to have to create my OWN custom Princess Leia Organa (from A New Hope) if I was ever going to be satisfied. The goal here was to create a 4-inch scaled, richly-detailed, neutrally-posed, attractively sculpted rendition of the beautiful, feisty, dedicated leader of the Rebel Alliance as seen in A New Hope. She had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the figures in my collection (including other customs).

"I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan!"

RECIPE:
1) Vintage Original Trilogy Collecion Princess Leia Organa: (body)
2) POTJ 25th Anniversarry "Swing To Freedom" Leia: (head sculpt with hair re-paint)
3) POTF II "Princess Leia Collection" Leia: (royal belt)

PrincessLeiaOrgana.jpg

GRAND MOFF WILHUFF TARKIN

PROBLEM:
The ONLY Grand Moff Tarkin action figure EVER created was released as Hasbro’s POTF II line (1996). At that time, the figures were suffering from (what I like to call) “tapered-waist” syndrome, and annoying pre-posing. Tarkin was no exception. However, I thought the face sculpt was nicely done

GOAL:
I intended to create a neutrally-posed, 4 inch-scale action figure of GOVERNOR TARKIN. He had to reflect the imperial arrogance embodied by the Grand Moff, and he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your Rebel friends soon enough!”

RECIPE:
1) POTF II Grand Moff Tarkin: (Head)
2) SAGA Admiral Ozzel: (Body)
3) Luke Skywalker: Jabba’s Palace: (Hands)
4) Imperial Rank Insignia Badge: Created on computer in Adobe Photoshop and Laser Printer as a label

GrandMoffTarkin.jpg

ADMIRAL PIETT

PROBLEM:
The slight pre-posing, and tapered-waist build that was typical of Hasbro’s POTF II line is just NOT to my liking. A Custom Admiral was necessary. Once again, though, the face sculpt was virtually perfect!

GOAL:
I wanted ADMIRAL PIETT to reflect the strict Imperial loyalty that he embodied throughout the Original Trilogy. Also, he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“Bounty Hunters? We don’t need that scum! Those Rebels won’t escape us.”

RECIPE:
1) POTF II Admiral Piett: (Head (hollowed-out for ball jointed neck)
2) SAGA Admiral Ozzel: (Body)
3) Imperial Rank Insignia Badge: Created on computer in Adobe Photoshop and Laser Printer as a label

AdmiralPiett.jpg

GENERAL MAXIMILLIAN VEERS

PROBLEM:
Previous action figure attempts of General Veers produced by Kenner and Hasbro have not really been to my liking. The vintage Kenner “AT-AT Commander” (1982) lacked a considerable amount of detail. And Hasbro’s “Veers” figure (included with the POTF II electronic AT-AT) (1997) was (once again) a pre-posed, overly bulky figure that was out of scale in relation to the rest of the established STAR WARS action figures in the line. The recent SAGA offering of Veers was (for me) nothing short of a CRUSHING disappointment!! Between the Quentin Tarantino face sculpt, the warped Battle Helmet, the non-removable imperial cap, AND (most OFFENSIVELY of all) the AT-AT Command Battle Armor WITH NO BACK HALF... well... let's just say that I was very GLAD that I didn't wait for Hasbro's version and made my OWN General Veers!

GOAL:
I wanted to create a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale custom action figure of GENERAL VEERS. The Imperial arrogance embodied by this vicious and ruthless General had to be evident. The intention of this figure was to be able to INTERCHANGE between BOTH of the General’s on-screen outfits from The Empire Strikes Back: Imperial Dress Uniform (as when he reported to Darth Vader in his meditation chamber), AND in his Imperial AT-AT Command battle armor and helmet! Also, he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“All troops will debark for ground assault. Prepare to target the main generator.”

RECIPE:
1) EP I Chancellor Vallorum: (Head (with hair re-sculpt and re-paint / hollowed-out for ball jointed neck) )
2) POTF II AT-AT Commander (Included with Electronic AT-AT): (Battle Armor, Belt Buckle, Side Holster, Battle Helmet
3) SAGA Admiral Ozzel: (Body, Imperial Cap
4) SAGA Obi Wan Kenobi: (Headset Microphone pickup)
5) Imperial Rank Insignia Badge (2) : Created on computer in Adobe Photoshop and Laser Printer as a label
6) Black twist tie (Used to create belt)

GeneralMaximillianVeers.jpg

GeneralVeersArmor.jpg

BOBA FETT

PROBLEM:
This is clearly a vital character in the STAR WARS Saga, and I felt he needed a clean, and well thought out custom figure. All of the previously produced Fett figures fell a bit short in my opinion. Yet, Ironically, the ingredients to create MY custom Boba can be found in many of them. My basic “issues” with the production Boba Fett action figures are: Vintage Kenner Boba Fett (1979): Not enough detail. Various POTF II Boba Fetts (1995): Too bulky and pre-posed. Subsequent Boba Fetts (POTJ, SAGA (2001-2003) Great detail, but too much scene-specific posing for my tastes.

GOAL:
I knew that this figure would be a REAL challenge based on how complex Boba Fett’s costume is. As with my other custom figures, I worked to create a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed, 4 inch-scale action figure of the fearsome bounty hunter. I wanted his detailing and colors to depict the costume that he wore in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. However, I preferred the more colorful rocket backpack that he wore in RETURN OF THE JEDI. So, admittedly, I took some creative license here. This custom action figure had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.”

RECIPE:
1) SAGA Boba Fett: Pit of Carkoon: (Head (extensively re-sculpted helmet profile), torso, pants pockets, rocket backpack)
2) POTJ Boba Fett 300th Action Figure: (Arms (re-engineered for increased articulation) belt and side pouches, cloth side cape, crotch armor, knee-cap armor, side holster, lower legs and feet (repositioned into a neutral pose)
3) VINTAGE Kenner AT-ST Driver: (pelvis, upper legs)
4) POTF II Ewok Princess Leia: (Hair braid strand (doubles as Wookie scalp) )
5) EP II Jango Fett Kamino Escape: (Silver Rocket Concussion Missile for backpack)
6) Dental Floss: (Wrist weapons power feed)
7) Styrene Strips (Rear straps for knee-cap armor)
8) VINTAGE Kenner Boba Fett: (Wrench tools in shin pockets)

BobaFettfront.jpg

BobaFettProfile.jpg

BEN OBI-WAN KENOBI
Custom Figure and Photo by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:
Various problems plagued the different Obi-Wans offered through the years. In my opinion, the biggest offense was to constantly sculpt the folds of his robes as his legs (Vintage Kenner / 1978), or as wearable rubber appliances (POTF II / 1995 and POTJ / 2001) that limited the figure’s movement. Then, in 2004 Hasbro gives us a VOTC Kenobi that seems to be dying of starvation. No thanks.

GOAL:
I wanted a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of the former Jedi General as he appeared in A New Hope. He had to reflect the eccentric, old Jedi hermit living as an outlaw in the Jundland Wastes of Tatooine. It was important to me that this Custom action figure be able to SIT DOWN in Luke’s X-34 Landspeeder, So I knew that a cloth skirt and outer robe were going to be a must. Also, he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic… Before the dark times. Before the Empire!!”

RECIPIE:
1) POTJ Ben Obi Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight (Head, torso, arms)
2) SAGA Lando Calrissian: Jabba’s Sail Barge (Pelvis, Legs)
3) SAGA Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Star Fighter Pilot: (Cloth hooded robe, Metal lightsaber hilt and blue blade)
4) SAGA Capatin Antilles: (Brown boots)
5) POTJ Rebel Trooper: (Hands)
5) Tan fabric: (Used to create cloth “skirt”, Waist sash, and hanging vestment strips)
6) Gold-plated letter on Magazine cover (Used to create shiny “brass” belt buckle)
7) Brown Satin Ribbon (Used to create belt)

BenObi-WanKenobi.jpg

YODA: Jedi Master

PROBLEM:
NONE of the previously produced Yoda action figures incorporated ALL of the characteristics that I wanted to see within ONE single figure!!

Maybe I'm just crazy, but it seems to me like ALL of the recent Yodas produced by Hasbro have VERY strangely sculpted HEADS (which are far too small), and do NOT resemble the character at all. They also feature really badly painted EYES that make our beloved Yoda seem like he's been hitin' the sauce a bit too much. The EYES of this character are SO important!!! They impart all the wisdom and age that he stands for. Also, a LARGE noggin is what makes him seem more elf-like and cerebral. These recent pin-headed Yodas just ain't cuttin' it !!

GOAL:
I simply wanted a single custom Yoda Action Figure with a working pair of LEGS, an accurately-sculpted, dignified face sculpt in the correct proportional size, rooted hair, necklace and belt accessories, and cloth robes.

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?”

RECIPIE:
1) POTF II “Flashback” Yoda (Head (Hollowed-out for ball-jointed use / rooted hair carefully trimmed) cooking pot, lamp)
2) OTC “vintage style” Yoda (Full body, cloth brown skirt, necklace-amulet, Gimmer stick cane, snake) *
3) Vintage Kenner Yoda (Cloth tan robe, belt pouch details) *
4) Thin brown ribbon (Used to create belt)

Yoda.jpg

EMPEROR PALPATINE

PROBLEM:
Virtually all previous action figure versions of Emperor Palpatine were lacking in adequate detail in my humble opinion. The vintage Kenner version (1984) sculpted his robes into a strange pair of legs, which was a design feature that I never really cared for. Later on, with the modern figures, Hasbro has only created Emperor Palpatine figures with NO working legs at all !! In other words: He's been nothing but a friggin' SALT-SHAKER!!

GOAL:
I wanted to create a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of EMPEROR PALPATINE in all of his malevolent glory. He had to be able to SIT on his (Hasbro “Cinema Scenes” POTF II) throne and his height had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“Soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us.”

RECIPE:
1) SAGA Throne Emperor: (Head, upper torso, re-sculpted arms, cane, lightning)
2) Vintage Kenner Luke Skywalker: (Back portion of cranium)
3) EP 1 Darth Maul Sith Bike: (Waist, pelvis, legs / bending knees (shortened), cloth hooded robe)
4) POTF II Emperor Palpatine: (cloak ornament clasp)
5) POTF II Comm Tech Darth Vader: (Cloth cape (Used for creating cloth skirt and belt sash)

TheEmperorPalpatine.jpg

DARTH VADER: Dark Lord of the Sith
Custom Action Figure and Photos by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:
There have been many Darth Vader action figures produced over the years. NONE of them accurately depict the powerfully elegant and imposing SHAPE of the Dark Lord of the Sith! NONE of them feature ALL of the details that I wanted to see incorporated into a single Vader figure.

Typically, Hasbro has sculpted Vader’s robes as rigid plastic, or as a part of his torso sculpt. The mask/ helmet sculpts for ALL Kenner / Hasbro Vader action figures have always been inaccurately depicted and / or disproportionately SMALL in relation to the body. The recent Darth Vaders offered by Hasbro have either been anorexic (2004's VOTC Vader), posed with an OVERLY WIDE stance (Evolutions Vader), wearing overly POOFY soft-goods (Both of them), or just plain ol' pea-headed (All of them!!)

GOAL:
The goal here was to create a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of Anakin Skywalker as the powerful fallen Jedi Knight that he ultimately became. The first thing I decided was that ALL of his robes and cape were to be made of CLOTH. Also, I wanted this custom action figure to be able to unmask with the correct THREE stages of head gear (rather than Hasbro’s typical two.) Most importantly, I wanted a custom action figure that just looked elegant and STATELY when standing neutrally at ease. As always, custom Vader had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“If you only knew the power of the Dark Side!”

RECIPIE:
1) POTF II "Flashback" Anakin Skywalker head* (Re-sculpted as burn-disfigured Anakin)
2) POTF II Ben Obi Wan Kenobi ( Additional Ear contour)
3) POTF II Darth Vader with Removable Helmet (Rear neck brace, Inner breathing mechanisms for mask)
4) POTF II Complete Galaxy Darth Vader (Surface details of exposed mask cranium)
5) POTJ Dagobah Darth Vader (Torso, upper legs, pelvis (re-sculpted for narrower-stance legs) )
6) POTF II Comm Tech Chip Darth Vader (Lower Legs/Boots, Cloth skirt, Main Cape (tailored) (Note: THREE of this action figure were used to obtain enough black fabric to create Vader’s inner robes)
7) 25th Anniversary Darth Vader Final Duel (Right arm, surgically re-positioned, Chest life-support unit)
8) SAGA Darth Vader Bespin Duel (Left arm, Metal lightsaber hilt and red blade)
9) POTJ Darth Vader Emperor’s Wrath (Cod-piece, Belt life-support monitor units)
10) SAGA Darth Vader Throne Room Duel (Belt buckle)
11) Black Ribbon (Used to create Belt)
12) Graphics on Belt Box Units (Created in Adobe Photoshop, and laser printed as Labels)
13) Toys R Us Darth Vader Character Umbrella (Used to create 3 individual mask and helmet sections. Sculpt is VERY accurate, and a PEREFCT size for a 4 inch scale figure)

impressive.jpg

DarthVaderrevealed-1.jpg

My Collection space experienced a flood due to a ruptured water pipe a couple of summers ago.

Several important toy collectibles were left without packaging and therefore un-protected.

I decided to design custom packaging for these toys, patterned after the Vintage Kenner style...

12-BACK ACTION FIGURE CARDS

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, my collection of STAR WARS actions figures are all loose.

But I created this card back as an experiment. I was curious to see what a vintage KENNER Star Wars 12-back card would look like with photos my own custom action figures replacing the main 12 character line-up.

Of course I could not leave out Boba Fett, so this became a “13-Back”

SW_back.jpg

SW12back.jpg

Photo Credits:

Hasbro photography: (X-Wing Fighter)
Rebelscum Toy Archives: (Tie Fighter, Dewback , Darth Vader Tie Fighter, Tusken Raider, C-3PO, R2-D2, Stormtrooper, Jawa)
Roberto Williams: Custom Action Figures

LANDSPEEDER

When Hasbro released the AWESOME Saga Landspeeder with Luke Skywalker about three years ago, I saw no reason to keep the previous versions of Luke’s speeder in my collection. I sold them off.

However, for reasons of nostalgia, I will ALWAYS fondly remember my Vintage Kenner Landspeeder’s BOX design.

While replacing the damaged box for my Saga Landspeeder, I created a windowless box that pays homage to the vintage Kenner days.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Landspeeder, Luke Skywalker)

LANDSPEEEDERboxcompare.jpg

LUKESKYWALKERSX-34LANDSPEEDERBOX.jpg

RADIO CONTROLED JAWA SANDCRAWLER

I must confess that the box for my Radio Controlled Jawa Sandcrawler was NOT damaged in the flood.

However, from the day I bought it back in 1979, the box was in VERY rough shape.

Furthermore, I never cared for Kenner’s package design for this toy. I thought it was very clumsy the way the toy seemed to be cut off along the top of the photo by the extended arm holding the remote control and by the STAR WARS logo.

I took this opportunity to make a new customized box design.

Photo Credits: Rebelscum toy archives (Sandcrawler)

SANDCRAWLERboxcompare.jpg

JAWASANDCRAWLERbox.jpg

I for one am VERY glad that the kind folks over at Hasbro have finally made us a Tatooine Moisture Vaporator in the form of a pack-in accessory with the current TAC Tatooine farmboy Luke Skywalker.

But in the style and mindset of our Vintage Kenner friends, this accessory would probably have gotten its own separate release as a boxed toy (like Radar Laser Cannon or Tripod Laser Cannon or Vehicle Maintainence Energizer)

I've already accumilated quite a few of these Moisture Vaporators in my collection, and I think they should all have a nice package design for storage, no?

Anyhow here is what I've come up wiith so far. The final package will have an ACTUAL toy Vaporator photo on it rather than this temporary one...

Photo Credits:

Custom Tatooine Farmboy Luke Skywalker Action Figure: Roberto Williams
Treadwell Droid: Rebelscum photo archives
Moisture Vaporator: Wikipedia photo archives

TATOOINEMOISTUREVAPORATORBox.jpg

IMPERIAL TROOP TRANSPORTER

When I saw the extent of the water damage to the box of my vintage Kenner Imperial Troop Transporter, I was CERTAIN that the toy was history.

But I was lucky.

The electronics actually still work!!

Here’s my go at a new box design:

Photo Credits : Rebelscum Toy archives: Troop Transport, Stormtrooper, Dewbacks

TROOPTRANSPORTERboxcompare.jpg

IMPERIALTROOPTRANSPORTERBox.jpg

Last edited:
CREATURE CANTINA ACTION PLAYSET

This toy was a birthday gift to myself back in 1979 when I turned 12.

I’ve always loved the toy, so I was heartbroken when the box was damaged in the flood.

Fortunately, the cardboard backdrop for this toy survived un-scathed!

In fact, I used the actual toy to take the photo for this package design!

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Cantina Playset, Custom Action Figures)
Rebelscum Toy Archives (Various action figures)

VINTAGECANTINA.jpg

CREATURECANTINABOX.jpg

Dude, great stuff! Obviously, you are taking a lot of time putting together this thread. Look forward to seeing more stuff and hearing more of your thoughts.

Edit:

pre = Ages 4 and up
post = Ages 18 and up

:rotfl

VEHICLE MAINTENANCE ENERGIZER

Now here’s one group of boxes I was HAPPY to re-design!

I have about six or seven of these VME’s mint in their box for my Rebel Base personel.

ALL of the boxes were damaged in the flood.

Now seeing as these machines ONLY appeared in A New Hope, and seeing as the Kenner box design was beyond silly, a new box design was in order.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Vehicle Maintenance Energizer)
Rebelscum Toy archives: (Dutch Vander Action figure)
Hasbro Photo: (Background)

VINTAGEVEHICLEENERGIZERBOX.jpg

VEHICLEMAINTENANCEENERGIZERBOX.jpg

X-WING FIGHTER

With the release of the Power FX X-Wing Fighter from 1998, I got rid of the “dinky” out of scale X-Wings from the Vintage Kenner and early Hasbro releases.

And with every subsequent release of the NEW X-Wing design (Red Leader’s X-Wing, Dagobah X-Wing, and now Luke’s Skywalker’s X-Wing) I always made sure to pick up a few.

For the X-Wings whose packagings were damaged in the flood, I created window-less box designs in the rough dimensions of the Red Leader X-Wing package.

Photo Credits:
Hasbro photography (X-Wing Fighter)
Rebelscum toy archive (Tie Fighter)
Lucasfilm LTD (Death Star)

XWINGboxcompare.jpg

X-WINGFIGHTERBOX.jpg

DEATH STAR SPACE STATION

As of last night, I now own 3 of these AWESOME playsets MINT and COMPLETE.

I actually did some minor customizing to the playsets themselves by giving them updated customized stickers (downloaded off the web) and by doing some minor Photoshop work on the cardboard wall inserts and then printing new ones.

I photographed one of my assembled Death Stars, and then “populated” the photo (via Photoshop) with my custom figures and others.

Photo Credits:

Roberto Williams: (Death Star Space Station Playset , Various Custom Action Figures)
Rebelscum Toy Archives (Stormtrooper , C-3PO, and R2-D2 Action Figures)

VINTAGEDEATHSTAR.jpg

DEATHSTARFRONT.jpg

DEATHSTARBACK.jpg

TAUNTAUN

There were NO vintage Kenner Tauntaun boxes damaged in my flood because ALL of my vintage Tauntauns were (mint but) LOOSE to begin with.

I’ve therefore taken this opportunity to create box designs for them. The boxes are the same dimensions as Kenner’s vintage box, but my design is vertical instead of horizontal like Kenner’s.

Photo Credits:

Rebelscum Toy archives: Tauntaun
Roberto Williams: (Custom Luke Hoth Figure)

VINTAGETAUNTAUN.jpg

TAUNTAUNBOX.jpg

Back