RIP Don LaFontaine (Movie Trailer Voice Guy)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not even close. Watch the video clip at the site linked by the OP. It was kind of a tribute to him (done long before his death, BTW), and it features numerous other voice-over artists, all of whom acknowledge that he was the best there ever was. One even joked that "in a world where there was no Don LaFontaine, we'd all have a lot more money."

RIP Don. This world won't be quite the same without you.

I respectfully disagree. I just think people became accustomed to his voice and had trouble accepting anything else. He created a standard. Everyone can speak, he just marketed his voice in a certain way and became successful. I would be more impressed if he sang or did something that required more talent. Just my opinion though. :)

I respectfully disagree. I just think people became accustomed to his voice and had trouble accepting anything else. He created a standard. Everyone can speak, he just marketed his voice in a certain way and became successful. I would be more impressed if he sand or did something that required more talent. Just my opinion though. :)

You can disagree with me all you want. The fact is that the people in his profession all considered him the greatest, not just lay people. That's why I directed you to the video. You can hear their praise for him in their own words.

I just thought you wanted to make sure everyone knew you were an ^^^^^^^.:lol:lol:lol

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl

No, I do hit that post button though and know people are going to get upset but that's life. I often like the people I upset which is sad because in-turn they hate me for being an ass. :lol

You can disagree with me all you want. The fact is that the people in his profession all considered him the greatest, not just lay people. That's why I directed you to the video. You can hear their praise for him in their own words.

Yes, but what is so great about his voice? Isn't it just a voice? It's not like he is really carrying a melody or writing a great song, or painting a great work of art. He is just reading a script. This is why I find it hard to appreciate the work he has done because it seems trivial and uninspired. If he wrote most of his stuff I would respect him a little more but I still think most every one on the planet could do his job.

Yes, but what is so great about his voice? Isn't it just a voice. It's not like he is really carrying a melody or writing a great song, or painting a great work of art. He is just reading a script. This is why I find it hard to appreciate the work he has done because it seems trivial and uninspired.

I think it was that his voice was popular. It just isn't the same listening to a trailer without it. Kind of like when people got excited that the guy who voiced Optimus Prime was the same as the cartoon. It is what people are used too. He must have been good because most people didn't want to use anyone else. Sure he didn't sing or dance but he was still in the publics eye or ear if you will. I know I am talking to the brick wall ass that is Rory but what the hell. From one ^^^^^^^ to another. :duff:lol

I think it was that his voice was popular. It just isn't the same listening to a trailer without it. Kind of like when people got excited that the guy who voiced Optimus Prime was the same as the cartoon. It is what people are used too. He must have been good because most people didn't want to use anyone else. Sure he didn't sing or dance but he was still in the publics eye or ear if you will. I know I am talking to the brick wall ass that is Rory but what the hell. From one ^^^^^^^ to another. :duff:lol

:lol:lol :duff

Yeah, but the guy playing Optimus Prime was more of a real voice actor. He had to continue a character for an entire movie- this guy just talks like himself for about a minute and a half. :huh

I for one am really excited about this guy dying because now we can finally hear some one else do the voice overs for movie trailors. I mean his voice just doesn't fit in every where. I think some times a good female voice would be great or maybe a guy with an accent.

I for one am really excited about this guy dying because now we can finally hear some one else do the voice overs for movie trailors. I mean his voice just doesn't fit in every where. I think some times a good female voice would be great or maybe a guy with an accent.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yXbFuNQwTbs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yXbFuNQwTbs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
You will probably just hear this guy who sounds damn similar.

:lol:lol :duff

Yeah, but the guy playing Optimus Prime was more of a real voice actor. He had to continue a character for an entire movie- this guy just talks like himself for about a minute and a half. :huh

But see that's not true. He is quoted in saying "If I used my trailer voice in public people would call the security". I don't think that was his everyday voice. He also did thousands of commercials. I agree that we put our celebs way to high on the pedestals. However, if just anyone could do what he did then why did they keep coming back for him. I but it got to a point where his rates went up because of demand. And they kept paying.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/yXbFuNQwTbs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/yXbFuNQwTbs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
You will probably just hear this guy who sounds damn similar.

You know who I always liked? David Attenborough, I think he did the narration for the Planet Earth documentaries. :)

PS that video was hilarious. :lol

But see that's not true. He is quoted in saying "If I used my trailer voice in public people would call the security". I don't think that was his everyday voice. He also did thousands of commercials. I agree that we put our celebs way to high on the pedestals. However, if just anyone could do what he did then why did they keep coming back for him. I but it got to a point where his rates went up because of demand. And they kept paying.

People love tradition and will usually do what they have to so that they can keep it going. If something is familiar it feels like home. Maybe it got to a point where they thought his voice would make people believe in a product more. :huh

I think from here on out we should have Gandalf do the trailors. He can start every one by saying "The board is set. The pieces are moving......"

People love tradition and will usually do what they have to so that they can keep it going. If something is familiar it feels like home. Maybe it got to a point where they thought his voice would make people believe in a product more. :huh

Maybe.....Kinda like Bob doing the Price is Right. It's just not the same now. :lol

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think people liking him was grounded in tradition. His body of work is massive but if some one had beaten him to the punch then they would have been Movie Trailer KING.

Still, 68 is old enough. Sure he could have lived longer but it's not like he died too young. I'm done here. Mourn away. :lol

For someone that doesn't care, you sure put a lot of energy into arguing a point Rory :lol

Guy was good at what he did and easily recognizable... kinda Buffer saying "Lets get ready to rumble!". Sure, anybody can say it, but there's a certain style and pitch that few of us can attain.

That, and I also think famous people get way too much credit for dying. People die everyday, everywhere and only the famous ones get a tear shed over them. It's ridiculous how much stock is put into what people did and not who they really were. Ghey. :lol

True, I guess you never explicitly said you don't care; you still seem to have a bug in your ass about dead celebrity threads.

Yeah, I apparently care about the dead people threads more than the people that died. :lol

Seems to be the case... maybe you need to start a I hate threads about dead people thread and use that as your sounding board :lol I'm sure it would be a big hit like your marriage and kids topics :joy

Back