Premium Format Ringwraith on Steed PF..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ringwraith on Steed PF..Link to buy in 1st Post.

If I got a high number does it mean will be low stock soon or sideshow ship their box randomly?

Packages are shipped randomly. No indication of preorder time or remaining inventory.

If I got a high number does it mean will be low stock soon or sideshow ship their box randomly?

Random. I only ordered mine two weeks ago (had never PO'd him before) and I got #53.

:clap Great Middle Earth display Adolfo, I've always liked this bust.
I've stared at it for a long time and this is one item that makes it hard for me to not want to buy. I like this one and the Ringwraith LSB a lot.

Dark Rider Ex #214 has arrived!:thud:

Congratz, hope you love it. :duff Still my fav so far this year.

I just opened it quickly to see if anything is broken and couldn't resist to put the horse on the base. And.. WOW this thing is really big. Even my wife who isn't attracted to this hobby said wow.

Just post this pic to show to people how big this thing is beside a good beer :)
ydy4a4us.jpg

This and the P2 LSB are sitting in my living room still boxed up as of today... Been awhile since I've gotten anything new....... :)

Ever had a situation where you see the reveal of a SS piece, and you say to yourself "it's a really nice piece...and I really like it", but for whatever reason, you don't pull the trigger on buying it?

Then you see the in hand shots of the same piece...and again you come to the conclusion that you still believe "it's a really nice piece" but you still don't pull the trigger?

Then you see the piece in person for your self...and now you think "why in the hell didn't I order this piece"!! :rotfl

That's the reaction I had this afternoon when I saw the DROM at the Phoenix Comic Con. Holy crap this thing looks amazing! So after I made the promise to slow down from ordering stuff for a while, I just placed my order for this PF. And after looking around on SS, I saw pictures of the upcoming Sauron PF and now I'm probably going to order that rather than Galactus.

The LOTR addiction has officially begun.... :rotfl

Welcome to the addiction! While I never saw him in person before I ordered him, I still know what you mean!

After I received mine a couple weeks ago, I've since bought three other LOTR PFs!

I got #14, it's an awesome piece but I have to say I like arthas better. It's weird that this is the third #14 I've gotten. One for the weta witchking and also galadriel which I sold recently. I was surprised that the "head" was this thing but it made sense. Pablo did a good job on the horse but the body of the horse seemed too large for the legs. Like the ex with the sword more.

Ever had a situation where you see the reveal of a SS piece, and you say to yourself "it's a really nice piece...and I really like it", but for whatever reason, you don't pull the trigger on buying it?

Then you see the in hand shots of the same piece...and again you come to the conclusion that you still believe "it's a really nice piece" but you still don't pull the trigger?

Then you see the piece in person for your self...and now you think "why in the hell didn't I order this piece"!! :rotfl

That's the reaction I had this afternoon when I saw the DROM at the Phoenix Comic Con. Holy crap this thing looks amazing! So after I made the promise to slow down from ordering stuff for a while, I just placed my order for this PF. And after looking around on SS, I saw pictures of the upcoming Sauron PF and now I'm probably going to order that rather than Galactus.

My reaction was the complete opposite.:horror

Let me start off by saying that I am a huge LOTR fan, & own many sculpts (mostly from the SS/Weta line) with two PFs (Uruk-Hai Berserker & Black Orc) which have minimal mixed media (fabric!), so for me , they work quite well, as I always prefer 100% sculpted statues.

In the case of Dark Rider, I was truly tempted/tormented to go against the grain, & order, regardless of the heavy fabric use. The posted pics & vids really made me think long & hard about ordering. But then, I too saw this sculpt in person for the first time this weekend. And for the first time, reality did not live up to the pics & vids.

My reaction was frankly one of shock! Though the steed is truly a work of art, the rider looks, well, cheap, with an awkward tilt/slant. The fabrics are tissue thin, droop lifelessly, obscure most of the little amount of sculpted rider's details, & for me, looks totally out of place, as compared to the sublime steed sculpt. Truly a clash of two mediums.

A fully sculpted Rider would have allowed for dynamically flowing robes, which would better match the rearing horse, & showcase more rider detail. Simple sashes & buckles would have been enough to satisfy the PF mixed media freaks, & would have elevated this statue to a whole new level of artistic excellence.

A truly, sadly missed golden opportunity, again(!) from Sideshow.:dunno

I don't think really anyone is going to agree with you this was a missed opportunity.

really been struggling not to buy this.... what with sauron ect coming i just don't have the room. Adolfo said i would struggle to resist he was right :gah:

I don't think really anyone is going to agree with you this was a missed opportunity.

I'm not really looking for anybody to agree with my point of view, nor am I trying to bash those who find this appealing. I've never been one to get sucked into the hype of any statue, though I came damn close on this one. Guess I posted this because I was truly horrified at the results, which meant no order for me, & I really, really wanted to order. This thing is worth no more than $400.00, & at that price I would have ordered, dumped the rider, & showcased the horse.

P.S. The only way to possibly prove my stance, would be for a talented sculptor to replace rider with a fully sculpted version. At that point, I would think that most would agree on the opportunity that was obviously missed, for me.:peace

Agreed. I think while fully sculpted would have looked awesome too, I don't know if all of that extra weight could have really worked on this pose. I feel fully sculpted would have made him too heavy for the horses legs to support, and then they would have to done a different pose, which would have probably ended up looking just like the Weta version.

But, I will say, that after getting my robes into place, the different sets of fabric they used, in addition to the weathering and different textures, makes him one amazing piece.

Agreed. I think while fully sculpted would have looked awesome too, I don't know if all of that extra weight could have really worked on this pose. I feel fully sculpted would have made him too heavy for the horses legs to support, and then they would have to done a different pose, which would have probably ended up looking just like the Weta version.

But, I will say, that after getting my robes into place, the different sets of fabric they used, in addition to the weathering and different textures, makes him one amazing piece.

Your assessment, is empty speculation at best. I mean if Weta had a fully sculpted Gandalf on a rearing Shadowfax, what makes you think that SS couldn't do the same? Especially when their recent production trend is to gut the sculpts (material wise), & render them hollow shells.

For me, this is another example of SS inflating price, & boosting profits by using $5.00 fabric, instead of the extremely skilled sculptor ,who's horse sculpt is a masterpiece. A pity they didn't allow him to complete the job!

Back