Reworked Han with smaller head and other modifications

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job,your that guy who i had the issues with about a certain Fett,over on OSW, small world...

Sorry, but to me it just looks like a repaint, the sculpt doesn't look much dif. in the pics, maybe it's just the pics?

Looks MUCH MUCH better than Sideshow's offering. Good work on the paint and sclupt.

James van Spronsen said:
sshanstand.jpg

Dude, that is AWESOME.

Nice job!! :chew

Call me a SS junkie.

It's a nice custom, but I don't think it blows the SS version away.

Paint is ok, but the eyes. The boots don't work with Han. I've tried a set and they are just too short and not the right style.

Im in the minority too. Opinion ahead. It's nice. But its no better or worse than SS. To me the jacket still looks a little short but better fitting in the arms. The hair needs a matte finish. The lips appear very small and the pants are too loose for my liking. Also the boots don't look very Star Wars to me, the actually remind me more of a pair of Wolverine steeltoes I used to have. While overall a lot of work went into it, it is a nice custom just not my cup of tea. Once I get home again with my camera Ill get pictures of my customs and I just hope and pray that my version of Slave Leia get's torn apart constuctively.

Aside from the boots, it's beautiful work! Well done! THe love you put in the head really shows. Besides being an excellent resculpt/recast, it's also a fine paintjob. Welcome to the boards, and please show us more!

James,

Ignore the detractors(of which there only are a couple anyway). They don't like customs because they think Sideshow's paint jobs are perfect when in fact they are FAR FROM IT. I think your custom Solo is awesome and hope to see more of your custom works posted on this board. :cool:

Brent, I don't think SS paintjobs are perfect. I have the same complaints about Han's lips as I do the custom. They are messed up. Also SS hair is too dark. I am however pleased that for a $60 mass market it looks good enough that I don't HAVE to invest hours of work and resewing to make it look good. I respect James' effort and it looks good for a personal custom despite what I don't like about it. I look forward to seeing more of James' work as well, so don't paint everyone with a broad brush.

Heh, it's funny to see people get so worked up over a toy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as it's just that....their opinion. I'm sure there are better versions out there, maybe that they have done and I'd like to see them as variety is the spice of life.

Thanks to those who like it. It's a bit of a test version as I plan on refining the next one a bit. I first wanted to see if reducing the head worked. It's only reduced about 10%, not much, but the original head is just too big and that was my main beef with the stock figure. And this IS the Sideshow sculpt, I just thinned the cheeks and reduced it. The "wet" look is just that. It's still a bit wet in spots which is magnified with the lighting.

The boots are DiD as the Newline versions weren't tight enough. Still not quite right, but the taller DiD weren't tight enough either and have the extra strap which is distracting. I just didn't like the solid boots as they don't pose correctly with the foot in the back position.

Thanks again.

James best advice I can give for Han 2.0:

the lips. try and make them just a TINY bit larger so it doesnt look like he is pursing his lips.

the hair. the color looks good but needs a matte finish.

the boots. I can see the point about poseability, but have you thought of using some kind of synthetic leather that you can pull and sew tighter so that the boots look a bit better?

the pants. thicker base legs or some padding would be your best friend.

Overall its a good first attempt on par with SS although the tiny bit of cheek shaving makes him look a little better. I can't wait to see 2.0 to see the improvements you decide to make.

James, :welcome and I have to say that you're a perfectionist after my own heart. This is a very nice fine-tuning of a figure I already like.

I hope you'll share further details about customizing. I'd like to know whether there are any snags along the way in fitting Sideshow heads and hands to a Dragon body, and whether you know where to find adapters for the bottoms of neckposts necessary to swap other heads.

I'm also interested in what you used to strip the original head without softening it. I've never seen a stripped Sideshow head before and was very surprised to see it is yellow. Any guess what it's made of? Apparently not PVC, which would melt when stripped?

I think your repaint shows Mat Falls' sculpt to much better advantage, especially around the eyes. Thanks for joining.

My personal opinion on this one is that it looks really good and better than the SS version. It looks slightly "chakly", but it's probbaly the photo. I think overall it looks really good.

Looks great, and after seeing how good the Han could of looked (by schrinking the head and shaving it down a bit) I'm really glad I held off.
If you offer these for sale down the road I'd definatley be interested.
Great Work and Good thinking
Dave

I want to encourage customizers to always share their stuff on this board. I'm not sure that the modifications really help the likeness issues I've always had with this figure and on a Dragon body it won't fit in with the other SSC figs, but I do applaud the work put into it.

Also I'd love to see a tutorial on doing the shrunken recast - I've tried that many a time and never was able to pull it off.

Back