Repairing my Iron Man MKIII Eye Problem

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to say I'm amazed how that bust is in such an excellent state. The paint on mine is cracking all over. Any suggestions? Tried Sideshow's customer support but they didn't help much to be honest :/. Ended up packing it back in its box, maybe waiting for some miracle of some sort.

Re: Step 1 - remove mask

I decided to try and fix it – first step was to take off his mask.

I used an Exacto knife and some gentle pressure to pry it forward and take it off.

How difficult was it to remove the faceplate?

Did it come right off?

Re: Step 1 - remove mask

How difficult was it to remove the faceplate?

Did it come right off?

It took a while as I was trying to be careful.

I used the Exacto knife all the way around it to break any paint seals - I didn't want it to pull away a big chunk of paint when I separated it. The paint was pretty flaky here so it did do some damage - I painted the black areas to cover and most of the other areas were hidden when I put it back together.

The mask was held on by 3 points (you can see them in post #7) - they are glued into the pink mold (post #2).

Once I had cut all the way around I found I had a little give at the top of the mask on either side of the red strip. I worked a flat knife into the space between the mask and the head and slowly pulled forward. I worked both sides until there was a big pop and the glue seals inside gave way.

Have to say I'm amazed how that bust is in such an excellent state. The paint on mine is cracking all over. Any suggestions? Tried Sideshow's customer support but they didn't help much to be honest :/. Ended up packing it back in its box, maybe waiting for some miracle of some sort.

I tried SS customer support as well before I started, but they did have any info for me....

One thing I forgot to mention - the LED's I bought were 12 volt so they did not work with the original adapter. I was lucky that I had a few adapters kicking around and had a 12 volt one with similar specs that worked fine. I've been keeping a close eye on it as I'm not very electrically savvy and don't want to burn my house down....

Sorry for the necro but I just wanna say that after reading this thread, I cannot wait to start fixing my Mark III bust. I was about to remove the faceplate safely since it was already loose but I'm gonna need some guidance from this point forward.

Sorry for the necro but I just wanna say that after reading this thread, I cannot wait to start fixing my Mark III bust. I was about to remove the faceplate safely since it was already loose but I'm gonna need some guidance from this point forward.

I'd say Broman is the guy you need to get in touch with. He's the one that actually removed the old LED's and inserted new ones like your doing. Mine was a custom bust so have never attempted changing Sideshow's version...circuitboard may be different :dunno

I'd say Broman is the guy you need to get in touch with. He's the one that actually removed the old LED's and inserted new ones like your doing. Mine was a custom bust so have never attempted changing Sideshow's version...circuitboard may be different :dunno

Thanks bro. I did PM broman but he's been inactive for over a month. May not hear back from him for awhile. Read his thread on how he fixed his with pics so I'm gonna do my best and see if I can replicate what he did. Any idea where I can get LEDs for the eyes?

Sorry - been lurking, but did not notice your question...

I bought the LEDS here - https://www.lightsandparts.com/

I brought in the circuit board with the defective lights - he was giong to replace the burnt out ones, but could not seem to get it working so he sold me the 3 light strips with the connectors cut off.

Only issue was voltage - the 12 volt ones do not work with the stock adapter, I had to use a different one - not sure how smart that was electrically on my part, but it worked.

My eyes are both burned out on mine. I'm to chicken to open it.

Sent you a PM. Would like to help you out as broman did for me.

Oh and through the same methods as broman and his guidance I was able to fix my Mark 3 eye problem and now it looks better than ever. Eyes are as bright as IM was in the movie. Much much better than the stock lights.

Sorry guys to bring back this topic but I can't see the attached thumbnails on the first post, it's just me or ?

Thanks. :)

Weird - I posted them and don't see them either - on my phone now, I'll see if I still have copies of the original pictures later.

May I ask how long you guys keep your MKIII eyes on for? I've just checked if they worked with adaptor and batteries and that's it!

I leave mine on for hours if I'm watching TV - mostly on the weekend.

Back