Repairing my Iron Man MKIII Eye Problem

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broman

Freaked Out
Reaction score
When I bought my Iron Man MK III bust one eye was dimmer then the other. It was not too bad in the beginning, but within a few weeks it went almost completely off...

001.JPG

Last edited:
Step 1 - remove mask

I decided to try and fix it – first step was to take off his mask.

I used an Exacto knife and some gentle pressure to pry it forward and take it off.

005.JPG

Last edited:
Step 2 - take apart the old LEDS

Here are some shots of the old LED mechanism.

006.JPG

008.JPG

Last edited:
Step 3 - the new LEDS

New LEDS from local store.

010.JPG

011.JPG

Old LEDS beside the new ones

Last edited:
Step 4 - wire and test new LEDs

Wiring complete – testing out the new LEDS

014.JPG

015.JPG

Last edited:
Step 5 - adding new LED's back into mask

New LED setup in the mask.

016.JPG

Last edited:
Step 7 - Glue the mask back in place

Mask glued on and hey – it works.....

017.JPG

020.JPG

Last edited:
So there is hope when the light up features no longer work. I always thought once it stopped working its over.

Wow, ballsy move! Can you fix mine now, ha ha? I got these cracks in one of the eyes. Not sure what to do about it. Any tips guys?

39UrWl.jpg

They could have just left the faceplate as magnet piece for such event. Nice work Broman.

Wow, ballsy move! Can you fix mine now, ha ha? I got these cracks in one of the eyes. Not sure what to do about it. Any tips guys?

39UrWl.jpg

I noticed one of mine looked like that when I took it out, but it wasn't cracked, the black paint was splitting so I painted over it. Wasn't in a visible area though...

I noticed one of mine looked like that when I took it out, but it wasn't cracked, the black paint was splitting so I painted over it. Wasn't in a visible area though...

Yeah, the cracks are really small and I was unsure if it was the paint splitting or the casting cracking. What did you use to paint yours? I considering attempting this without removing the faceplate.

Yeah, the cracks are really small and I was unsure if it was the paint splitting or the casting cracking. What did you use to paint yours? I considering attempting this without removing the faceplate.

It was actually just some black furniture paint I had already - some of the black paint around the mask chipped off so I needed to touch it up - used the same stuff on the eye molds.

I probably should have gone to a hobby shop for proper paint, but it was late at night.

Looked fine when I was done though....

Back