Remember, check shipping charges first.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chamildav

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm not generally this careless but I just paid $60. for shipping UPS ground on a lot of 16 DVD's I purchased on eBay. And the cost was in the description, I just didn't check. So boys and girls, a reminder, don't be a dope like me. Check that shipping before you bid! The dollars you save will be your own.

Yeah, I always get pissed when people ***** about shipping after they have bought something from me. Sure I overcharge, but I clearly state how much I am charging in the auction.

Bannister said:
Yeah, I always get pissed when people ***** about shipping after they have bought something from me. Sure I overcharge, but I clearly state how much I am charging in the auction.

There is a difference between overchargin and $70.00 bucks for 16 dvds means that box would need to weigh something like 120 LBS or be insured for $10,000.

jimmyjamesf said:
There is a difference between overchargin and $70.00 bucks for 16 dvds means that box would need to weigh something like 120 LBS or be insured for $10,000.
Yeah but if it is clearly stated in the auction I have no problem with it. I just ain't bidding.:lol :lol :lol

True, gotta be careful. But what Bannister said, it's right there in the open, customer responsibility. It's a jaggy thing to do BUT honest.

Bannister said:
Yeah but if it is clearly stated in the auction I have no problem with it. I just ain't bidding.:lol :lol :lol
That's my point. I paid it and I don't think I'm "*****ing" much about it either. This really was meant as a word to the wise. Hopefully wiser than me anyway. Caveat emptor as our Roman friends would have said.
I haven't noticed many people screwing with the shipping charges lately so I was careless and it's why I thought it worth mentioning. I think because of the removals of sellers for doing this on eBay it's become less common. The nice folks at eBay want you to collect on the auction value so your charged a higher fee by them rather than your trying to beat them by putting it on the shipping. Not a lot of altruism on anyones part in this. Just cold hard business.
By the by, I wouldn't be too proud of charging excessively for shipping even if you do state the charges. It's not all that honest either way since your either trying to fool unwary buyers or cheat the auction house. Stuff like this some times bites you in the butt.

If the seller uses USPS that might be the actual shipping charge! :horror :horror

:emperor :emperor :emperor :emperor

chamildav said:
That's my point. I paid it and I don't think I'm "*****ing" much about it either. This really was meant as a word to the wise. Hopefully wiser than me anyway. Caveat emptor as our Roman friends would have said.
I haven't noticed many people screwing with the shipping charges lately so I was careless and it's why I thought it worth mentioning. I think because of the removals of sellers for doing this on eBay it's become less common. The nice folks at eBay want you to collect on the auction value so your charged a higher fee by them rather than your trying to beat them by putting it on the shipping. Not a lot of altruism on anyones part in this. Just cold hard business.
By the by, I wouldn't be too proud of charging excessively for shipping even if you do state the charges. It's not all that honest either way since your either trying to fool unwary buyers or cheat the auction house. Stuff like this some times bites you in the butt.
I didn't think you were *****ing too much. I never said I was proud that I overcharge, I was just pointing out that when I do I make sure it is clearly stated in the auction. The reason I do it is to make up for the ebay fees and paypal fees. Not to mention sometimes I have to buy a box to ship stuff. Also, I am never sure what exact shipping charges are going to be since price depends on where it is being shipped to. So usually even if I do overcharge some for shipping, I still end up taking a hit. I am not trying to fool anybody or cheat ebay. They are still hitting me with fees twice since they own Paypal. I am not charging $60.00 for 16 dvds. Usually I will charge $30.00 on a PF figure. Sometimes it only costs $17.00-$18.00 to ship, sometimes $25.00. I am not overcharging by that much. I think the most excessive thing I ever did was charge $80.00 to ship a 1:1 Darkness bust and it only cost around $50.00.

chamildav said:

At least now with the new feedback system you can give the seller bad marks for it. LOL

jimmyjamesf said:
At least now with the new feedback system you can give the seller bad marks for it. LOL
Wouldn't that be just as wrong as what the seller did considering it was stated in the auction.

Bannister said:
Wouldn't that be just as wrong as what the seller did considering it was stated in the auction.

You can rate the seller now on

Item as described
Communication
Shipping time
Shipping and handling charge

So no I don't think it would be wrong in the least. The lowest rating on just about every seller you look at is on the Shipping and handling charge. I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.

jimmyjamesf said:

Item as described
Communication
Shipping time

So no I don't think it would be wrong in the least. The lowest rating on just about every seller you look at is on the Shipping and handling charge. I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.
I just don't think you have the right to ***** about shipping costs if they are stated before you bid. I understand if the seller comes up with shipping after the auction is over and you don't like it, but if it is so bad to begin with, don't bid.

Yeah, I got effed over the other day when I shipped out an item overseas. I had no idea shipping costs would be that insane. I actually lost money in the sale because of paying $70 shipping, which was more than the item itself.

Never doing that again. U.S. only from now on.

chamildav said:
I'm not generally this careless but I just paid $60. for shipping UPS ground on a lot of 16 DVD's I purchased on eBay. And the cost was in the description, I just didn't check. So boys and girls, a reminder, don't be a dope like me. Check that shipping before you bid! The dollars you save will be your own.

ebay hates when people overcharge for shipping because that amount is not calculated into the final value fee. report the guy for his bad selling practices. you'd probably be able to back out of the sale. i've seen $50 items for $5 bin with $45 shipping. :nono

Boba Fett said:
Yeah, I got effed over the other day when I shipped out an item overseas. I had no idea shipping costs would be that insane. I actually lost money in the sale because of paying $70 shipping, which was more than the item itself.

Never doing that again. U.S. only from now on.
Always check the usps website for international shipping. As long as you have a general idea of the weight and size you should be good to go.

Bannister, what your describing that you do is not overcharging in the fashion this seller did that I described in my first post. Your CYA on the costs is in my humble opinion reasonable. What I do is use fixed shipping prices based on estimated weight to the furthest zone via UPS ground as the listed cost in my auctions for domestic shipping. Sometimes I lose a couple of bucks, sometimes I come out a dollar or two ahead, but generally it's pretty close as I've been doing this for a while. And eBay accepts handling charges so if you keep it at the levels your talking about your fine, and I don't know why anyone would complain about your shipping charges.
Again, this isn't about *****ing. Really. Just remember to check the charges for shipping and handling before you bid. This was just started as a reminder about something that can sometimes be a problem. I should have been more careful. The only one I'm annoyed at is ME.
And I won't be making a complaint to eBay on the charges as the guy sells so rarely it's not likely to benefit anyone else. And again, caveat emptor. I won't be leaving the seller a negative or neutral feedback either unless I have some other problem with the auction. But I will give him a low rating on the detail report for shipping, which is the reasonable thing to do.
That's pretty much it. I just hope I get everything intact as advertised and I'll be a happy camper at this point.

jimmyjamesf said:

Item as described
Communication
Shipping time

I do think it would be wrong, and rather unethical. If a seller clearly states the shipping charges in an auction, it is up to the bidder to decide, BEFORE BIDDING, whether or not those charges are acceptable. If they aren't acceptable, don't bid. By bidding, you are agreeing to pay the stated charges. Deciding later that they are unacceptable is, well, unacceptable.

As a seller, if I were to be dinged by a buyer over clearly-stated shipping charges, that buyer would be permanently added to my blocked bidders list.

Last edited:
I was searching E-bay for some of the SW Hasbro 12" speeder bikes for when the three stooges----er Endor Troopers arrive and I saw a great auction that with minutes left still had the price at under $10... then I took a look at the shipping charge--- $75!!!!!

ALWAYS read the ENTIRE page for those little rips into your wallet. People don't sell on e-bay due to the kindness of their heart.

Needless to say I never bid.

Back