Recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duo_maxwell_1017

Super Freak
Reaction score
I normally don't share a lot of info about myself, but I figured I would see what kind of advice I could get from here. A little back story, I'm 34, I've been married for over 6 years. My wife and I have a 2 and a half year old daughter, named Gayle. I recently graduated from Rowan University with a BA in Liberal Studies.
For a long time I've noticed that I have a hard time focusing or paying attention in class. I originally went to Temple University in Philadelphia, but after one year I was academically dismissed. I then went to Community College of Philadelphia. Graduated in 2004, I barely made it, GPA was 2.07.

So a month ago, I went to my family doctor to discuss some issues. I was suffering from Depression, and was put on 75mg of Zoloft. Towards the end of my appointment I brought to my doctors attention that I believe that I have ADD. My wife noticed when I went back to school at Rowan, my wife had to crack the whip a lot to make sure I do my assignments, discussion questions, and tests. I also noticed myself, when I want to go look at one thing, but I go do something else. Then I forget what I originally wanted to do.

So my family doctor sent me to a neurologist to get tested for ADD. Went to my appointment, doctor asked me a bunch of questions, and had me fill out a survey. On this survey it had white blocks, and grayed out boxes. Lets just say that I only filled out one white box. Official test can be found on ADD.org. So the neurologist diagnosed my with a mild case of Attention Deficit Disorder. We discussed some options, getting organized, non stimulant medication, and stimulant medication. I knew I had a pretty bag case of ADD, and getting organized and non stimulant wouldn't help me. I also asked the neurologist if my family doctor can treat me with writing scripts and easier appointments, she agreed. So later that day I met with my family doctor and we discussed what the neurologist said, and my family doctor put me on Adderall XR. I take 10mg a day for a month, then my family doctor will bump me up to 20mg. And after I am on a stable dose she will give me a three months supply. I will also be drug tested to make sure that I am actually taking it and not selling it.

So I have been taking Adderall XR for the last 6 days, I don't notice any improvement yet, probably wont see any difference until my meds are bumped up. I've noticed some of the side effects, jitteryness, faster heart rate, and dry mouth. I've done my fair research: side effects of Adderall, causes of ADD, living with ADD as an adult.

If anyone who has ADD, and would like to share how they cope I would gladly appreciate it.

Also I will not even consider responding to any messages asking to buy some of my meds.

I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but happy to hear that you took the step to get looked at.

These are 2 very good books:
https://www.amazon.com/Driven-Distr...dhood/dp/0684801280?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_lmf_img_2
https://www.amazon.com/You-Mean-Lazy-Stupid-Crazy/dp/0743264487?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_lmf_img_4

It would also be worth seeing a counselor who has experience working with ADD, and it would be beneficial for your wife to also attend a few of those sessions, so she can understand what you are going through.

I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but happy to hear that you took the step to get looked at.

These are 2 very good books:
https://www.amazon.com/Driven-Distr...dhood/dp/0684801280?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_lmf_img_2
https://www.amazon.com/You-Mean-Lazy-Stupid-Crazy/dp/0743264487?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_lmf_img_4

It would also be worth seeing a counselor who has experience working with ADD, and it would be beneficial for your wife to also attend a few of those sessions, so she can understand what you are going through.

Thanks! I would go to a counselor but I have crappy health insurance with a high deductible ($2500.00) I still have access to my Rowan Library online. So I can read official articles. I've already done a lot of google searching ie: side effects of Adderall, causes of ADD, and Living with ADD as an adult. Also ready books isn't my strong point, I start to read and I get bored or distracted. (ADD)

ADD can be a double edge sword, I've been ADD my whole life, took ritalin until highschool, stopped taking it and that's when my weakness turned into my strength and my strengths became a bit of a weakness, I had to try alot harder to understand some things while others came much easier. Basically my Math and reading skills swapped. I still haven't gotten back on a focus pill yet (I am now 30), wouldn't mind but I was lucky to get into an industry where my ADD thrived (Film). The things I'm into I'm overly into, super focused and driven but that's because my ADD hones in and focuses on the things I love, which for me is film, so my ADD can act as an adrenaline of sorts. The bad part is losing focus on stuff I could care less about. I am an editor and there are times where I'm given stuff I have zero interest in, which is when my work suffers. It's hard but that's the time when I just have to put hard work in, it's not about focus but just doing it, getting it done.

I think if this is new to you, you need to figure out what's feeling different. Now there are things you are going to have to work harder at and things you'll be able to do like it's no bodies business. I guess I was lucky enough to understand at a young age that if I had any chance as an adult to make something of myself I would have to pursue the thing I loved the most that I could make a career of. This is of course just me, I would also say that ADD isn't some end of life thing, sounds like you've been having focus issues for awhile. Probably the best thing you did was actually seeing a doctor to actually help you with this.

Thanks! I would go to a counselor but I have crappy health insurance with a high deductible ($2500.00) I still have access to my Rowan Library online. So I can read official articles. I've already done a lot of google searching ie: side effects of Adderall, causes of ADD, and Living with ADD as an adult. Also ready books isn't my strong point, I start to read and I get bored or distracted. (ADD)

I would check with your insurance but with the recent changes in health care, therapy is now grouped as a PCP visit where copay is only needed. Again, this depends on the type of insurance you have but check the explanation of benefits or give them a call.

I don't have any advice for you but reaching out is helpful. The only thing that I may add is a suggestion from my experience - I dealt with anxiety and panic attacks since high school and I wish doctors didn't put me on medications as quickly as they did. I am able to manage my anxiety with the help of cognitive behavior therapy and no longer need medication. Personally, I would look into other treatment modalities that doesn't necessitate medication; I prefer not to be medicated. Best wishes.

So, I went back to the doctor yesterday, and I had my medication bumped up. I am now taking 20mg of Adderall once a day. Now I have to deal with the side effects of jitteryness again. This time I sometimes feel a little light headed. I should only be feeling these side effects for a week to a week and a half.

Second day on the upped meds. Side effects are a little worse than they were yesterday. My head feels like its moving, but I am sitting still. Feels like I'm stoned. I'm also light headed when I stand up from sitting for a while. I've got a pretty bad headache.

Have you tried exercising, eating right (plenty of organic veggies) and overall changing your lifestyle?

Hire a trainer and skip a couple of dolls per month until you figure out a good plan for your workout needs. Buy a vitamix and blend a lot of vegetables with little fruit.

Meds are not the only way.

Have you tried exercising, eating right (plenty of organic veggies) and overall changing your lifestyle?

Hire a trainer and skip a couple of dolls per month until you figure out a good plan for your workout needs. Buy a vitamix and blend a lot of vegetables with little fruit.

Meds are not the only way.

Well the meds are helping. I am having longer times of being able to focus. Only problem is I take the meds at 720am meds last for 8-10hrs and by 2 or 3 I start to lose focus. The meds also have curbed my appetite some. I have a pretty moderate case of ADD, so meds are best for now. When I go back to the doctor in late July I might have my meds bumped up again. Or I take an immediate release Adderall (in addition with my XR first thing in the morning) at 1-2 in the afternoon to help me for the rest of the night.

Well the meds are helping. I am having longer times of being able to focus. Only problem is I take the meds at 720am meds last for 8-10hrs and by 2 or 3 I start to lose focus. The meds also have curbed my appetite some. I have a pretty moderate case of ADD, so meds are best for now. When I go back to the doctor in late July I might have my meds bumped up again. Or I take an immediate release Adderall (in addition with my XR first thing in the morning) at 1-2 in the afternoon to help me for the rest of the night.

That really wasn't my question. But I guess it's good if medication that strong woks for you and that you are ok with it.

Obviously youre free to write whatever you wish, but discussing your medical condition in an open forum about comic books, sci fi shows, and dolls might not elicit the responses you may be seeking.

Back