Collecting is one thing, Maintaining is another

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easier said than done, esp for those that are home like 1/3 of the year.

anyone tried using those wine display fridges with temperature, humidity controls?

easier said than done, esp for those that are home like 1/3 of the year.

anyone tried using those wine display fridges with temperature, humidity controls?

But they're not really designed for optimal viewing right ? Even the ones that have a glass front are more for show than being able to see much properly.

Though they probably would keep the figures chilled and ready to drink....

If you're away for a year at a time and don't have family or trust worthy neighbors who can turn on some fans/humidifier every so often, it might be better to move into collecting just polystone statues. :dunno

why not get a dehumidifier that runs to a drain or outside? basements will have a floor drain. If upstairs put the sucker on a table and run it to a sink if your gone for a long time anyways and don't have a low drain or can't run outside.

Some wine fridges are actually quite good looking, they have clear glass at the front (those restaurant types have views on sides too), built in lights, wooden stands for each level, temperature control (wine typically stores at 20C/62F), humid control. A small one cost like $300 mid size $1000, of course there are those $5000 ones. But of course the utility bill will increase.

I advised some sneaker heads to get one of these to store (& display) their $20k shoes so they won't just disintegrate after 5 years but they prefer the oldskool way of storing in shoebox wrapped with plastic.

Well, polystone statues is not really my cup of tea. Collecting for the sake of collecting & choosing what to collect based on environment conditions instead of self interest is like people who has money but wants to go into collecting artworks and have no idea what to collect, so if their place is humid might as well collect antique vases instead of art drawings.

also statues usually come with gigantic boxes & foams & takes up more space (from a non statue collecting person's point of view).

so far i only have 3 Berserk Polystone statues.

the thing is i can actually set the air conditioning to turn on 1 hour daily, until a powercut or something then it needs to be manually reset. a dehumidifier that runs 24/7 isn't a good idea too.

those box type dehumidifier are good but depletes too quick.

the thing is i can actually set the air conditioning to turn on 1 hour daily, until a powercut or something then it needs to be manually reset. a dehumidifier that runs 24/7 isn't a good idea too.

those box type dehumidifier are good but depletes too quick.

If humidity is the issue you can buy ones that actually let you set the humidity level and have a constant drain for the water. they are not expensive.

Collect Iron Man Armour figures and just dust them when you get home?

I would like to collect ironman but the cost of collecting them i might as well renovate the whole place to make it dust free & temperature/humidity controlled.

All this "controlling" gear. They're just toys. Display them normally. Never had one degrade on me yet. The rubber/plastic isn't the same as they used 5 years ago.

Wine coolers? WTH?

Mankind would have have evolved to what it is today if they sticked to that ideology. Sad indeed.

If humidity is the issue you can buy ones that actually let you set the humidity level and have a constant drain for the water. they are not expensive.

:goodpost::lecture I have a basement where all my figures are in non-air tight detolfs. I have two dehumidifier units on each end of the basement that are plugged in and set to 45% humidity all year. They don't usually run during the cold winters here in WI because the humidity drops. But in the summer they run all day almost and I have NEVER had an issue with mold in my finished basement. If you can't run a drainage hose to to a drain, just remember to empty your collection tank 1-2 times per day.

Well there are folks who tries to save nearly extinct pandas in the far east, so i guess sometimes it's ok not to follow Darwin.

Well there are folks who tries to save nearly extinct pandas in the far east, so i guess sometimes it's ok not to follow Darwin.

When you put it that way, chucking your dolls in a fridge to prevent them from going mouldy sounds a truly noble pursuit.

wine fridges are actually not as cold as normal fridges, they keep the temperature around 64F.

san-diego-510-059-1024x683.jpg

might not be worth it buying thousand dollars fridge for cheap Hot Toys & Sideshows, but for sneaker heads i think it's a good investment. they no longer have to worry about their $300 Jordans flaking into pieces.

Back