Re: New Doom PF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This will be a sleeper. It will have tons of presence.

The figure itself looks great IMO. Base is a bit bland but that doesn't take anything away from how fearsome Doom himself looks. Can't wait to see what he'll look like in my collection.

The figure itself looks great IMO. Base is a bit bland but that doesn't take anything away from how fearsome Doom himself looks. Can't wait to see what he'll look like in my collection.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. The figure looks class but the base is such a let down IMO

I desperately want a Doom in my collection. No hint of XM making one & the original PF is crazy expensive this could be one

Yeah my thoughts exactly. The figure looks class but the base is such a let down IMO

I desperately want a Doom in my collection. No hint of XM making one & the original PF is crazy expensive this could be one

I never cared for the original Doom PF. This PF is actually better looking to me. Obviously the base/throne looks amazing on the original PF. However, for me personally, this figure is better than the original. Like you, I would love to see what XM could do with Doom. I'm sure it would look amazing.

I never cared for the original Doom PF. This PF is actually better looking to me. Obviously the base/throne looks amazing on the original PF. However, for me personally, this figure is better than the original. Like you, I would love to see what XM could do with Doom. I'm sure it would look amazing.

I am agree with you.

If sideshow gets the tailoring right on the production pieces this will be amazing

This will be a sleeper. It will have tons of presence.

Lol.
I can't count how many times I've read the same things about statues NO ONE gives a damn. Watch this statue go for under retail like many others once it comes out.
Last time I've read about "a sleeper" was for the new Red Skull Ex, I think. Now the Exclusive sells barely for retail or less.

This statue was poorly received. Boring pose, ugly base and silly Exclusive are just the nail in the coffin. If in the meanwhile doesn't come an awesome 1/4 Dr Doom to spend my cash on, I'll grab a Regular down the line when I'll find it cheaper than retail and have it modded properly.

yea, this not sleeping much. we have to consider the legendary scale version as well. sure LSF is much more costly but it would satisfy the demand a little bit. Apocalypse PF has more sleeping than this one. too bad Mr. Green's edition is damaged a little. damn them!

Lol.
I can't count how many times I've read the same things about statues I DON't give a damn (about). Watch this statue go for under retail like many others once it comes out.
Last time I've read about "a sleeper" was for the new Red Skull Ex, I think. Now the Exclusive sells barely for retail or less.

This statue was poorly received in my opinion. Boring pose, ugly base and silly Exclusive are just the nail in the coffin in my opinion. If in the meanwhile doesn't come an awesome 1/4 Dr Doom to spend my cash on, I'll grab a Regular down the line when I'll find it cheaper than retail and have it modded properly to fit how I personally want it.

Fixed it for you.

Good post though :stooge Sounds like we have another CBG on our hands getting it for under retail :lol

Fixed it for you.

Good post though :stooge Sounds like we have another CBG on our hands getting it for under retail :lol

Keep on dreaming. You may have not noticed the trend on Ebay or the BST area here on the forum.
This PF was poorly received, Sideshow reduced the ES and then put the Ex on a fake waitlist to push sales.
The total ES is too big to make this any kind of sleeper and with shipping you're looking at nearly 450$ shipped. Good luck to make any profit on it when you add in Paypal fees and another shipping if you want to re-sell when this thing becomes "a sleeper".
A hell lot of Sideshow pieces go for retail or under retail, if you cared to notice. Red Skull Ex, Black Widow Ex, Punisher Ex, to mention three recent pieces that barely go for retail. The Regulars go for under retail.

Sorry but I think you're not keeping your feet on the ground, just noticed this is kind of a trend recently with people expecting "grails" and "sleepers" any other piece that goes on preorder. That's why I took the time to disprove your expectation, sorry if it came through as rough.

Harsh truth is: barely anything from Sideshow's recent release goes for above retail or with a consistent profit. The ES is just too high. The damned Kier print, due to its low ES, has a higher resale price than most of their recent statues.
I just hate people that need to put a "mystic aura" around every statue, like if it could make the statue better.

El Mule is kinda right. I sold quite a few PF's recently. The only one I made profit on was the Deadpool PF. My Punisher PF was the worse one which eventually sold for £150 after fee's. You just need to be sure on what you buy now day's and try not to spontaneously buy

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong. Overall, I "like" this PF. I just don't want people to set their expectations high based on nothing but wrong facts.

To be fair, the double mask for modern/classic portrait implies that the statue should not just be considered "classic", and even then, there are tons of better switch outs. For example, a hand holding a chalice would work much better both for a classic and for a modern rendition.
What throws me off is just that you can do much more with Doom, and Sideshow went as cheap as they could.
Speaking of classics, Romita had an awesome pose for Doom he used often, drawing him standing with feet wide apart, his hands behind his back and his shoulders slightly hunched ahead. As simple as it is, it's a very powerful pose - one thing that NONE of the statues out there convey is that Doom is a big dude. His armor is bulky, his shoulders are wide, his character is studied to be imposing. He's not just some regular Tony Stark in a sleek armor.

A Doom in that pose, made with the right size/measure and on a simple square/round base with some tech, would have been an awesome sight imho. Switch out face plates (classic and modern), and why not, removable chest plate? Something like Hot Toys does with the Iron Men - deatachable plate, and underneath you can see the hardware and wires.

Keep on dreaming. You may have not noticed the trend on Ebay or the BST area here on the forum.
This PF was poorly received, Sideshow reduced the ES and then put the Ex on a fake waitlist to push sales.
The total ES is too big to make this any kind of sleeper and with shipping you're looking at nearly 450$ shipped. Good luck to make any profit on it when you add in Paypal fees and another shipping if you want to re-sell when this thing becomes "a sleeper".
A hell lot of Sideshow pieces go for retail or under retail, if you cared to notice. Red Skull Ex, Black Widow Ex, Punisher Ex, to mention three recent pieces that barely go for retail. The Regulars go for under retail.

Sorry but I think you're not keeping your feet on the ground, just noticed this is kind of a trend recently with people expecting "grails" and "sleepers" any other piece that goes on preorder. That's why I took the time to disprove your expectation, sorry if it came through as rough.

Harsh truth is: barely anything from Sideshow's recent release goes for above retail or with a consistent profit. The ES is just too high. The damned Kier print, due to its low ES, has a higher resale price than most of their recent statues.
I just hate people that need to put a "mystic aura" around every statue, like if it could make the statue better.

Sounds like all you care about is how much you can sell it for. I want it for how much awesomeness and joy it will bring me. I said it's gonna be a sleeper for how well executed it will come out and how awesome it will look. Not for how much we can sell it for in the aftermarket. We must be 2 different type of collectors....

Don't get me wrong. Overall, I "like" this PF. I just don't want people to set their expectations high based on nothing but wrong facts.

To be fair, the double mask for modern/classic portrait implies that the statue should not just be considered "classic", and even then, there are tons of better switch outs. For example, a hand holding a chalice would work much better both for a classic and for a modern rendition.
What throws me off is just that you can do much more with Doom, and Sideshow went as cheap as they could.
Speaking of classics, Romita had an awesome pose for Doom he used often, drawing him standing with feet wide apart, his hands behind his back and his shoulders slightly hunched ahead. As simple as it is, it's a very powerful pose - one thing that NONE of the statues out there convey is that Doom is a big dude. His armor is bulky, his shoulders are wide, his character is studied to be imposing. He's not just some regular Tony Stark in a sleek armor.

A Doom in that pose, made with the right size/measure and on a simple square/round base with some tech, would have been an awesome sight imho. Switch out face plates (classic and modern), and why not, removable chest plate? Something like Hot Toys does with the Iron Men - deatachable plate, and underneath you can see the hardware and wires.

I think a detachable chest plate would be worthless. He wears a tunic.

El Mule is kinda right. I sold quite a few PF's recently. The only one I made profit on was the Deadpool PF. My Punisher PF was the worse one which eventually sold for £150 after fee's. You just need to be sure on what you buy now day's and try not to spontaneously buy

Buying what you like usually cures that

This was a day 1 PO for me (which I rarely do). I think this Doom looks fantastic. No pun intended.

Sounds like all you care about is how much you can sell it for. I want it for how much awesomeness and joy it will bring me. I said it's gonna be a sleeper for how well executed it will come out and how awesome it will look. Not for how much we can sell it for in the aftermarket. We must be 2 different type of collectors....

You're drawing conclusions because you lack arguments, obviously.
The "sleeper" term exists only in relation to its market value. You brought the term up first so you clearly are the one concerned about the future value.
If you already like it and think other people will like it as well, "sleeper" is not the correct term due to the above implications. You just say, "this will come out better than people expects".
Also, nothing of what I said gives any clue about what kind of collector I am. You're just biased because I touched your toy and disproved your claim. Just know that I buy very few pieces and I keep most/all of them. Each one must be awesome in my eyes to commit the kind of money these things cost. I'm the "kind of collector" that doesn't mind go extra mile for a statue that deserves more, too. As I stated above, if this statue "comes out better than people expects" and no other 1/4 Doom is around at that time, I might grab it and have the base redone.

And trust me, if I had any interest in future resale values of statues, Sideshow would NOT be my bet anyway. Only a fool would believe that.

Oh, and regarding the chest plate... the fabric should be made so that it can be moved from his chest. A real tunic should be "pinned" to his collar and shoulder pads, just make it deatachable so that the tunic can be left hanging. But we don't want to get too creative, don't we, huh?

Not to completely butt into this little arguement but Sleeper can also mean that is more Sought after than originally expected, and not really have anything to do with the money involved but simply there aren't enough to go around. Now if the market dictates a rise in value that's one thing but let's say because it wasn't well received at first and the ES was cut then it comes out amazing and people are now looking for it we could then call it a "sleeper" hit. Not saying any of that will happen but who knows.

Also on the Tunic thing, tunics don't always have a clasp. Most Medieval tunics were one piece or buttoned or hooked together in the front and not actually pinned anywhere like so

sol_4954_0_1.jpg

They were meant as over clothing, sometimes to go over Chainmail armor.

The most recent classic sleeper hit I can think of has to be the Green Lantern PF

That got pretty much talked down but try buying one of them now for close to retail

Not to completely butt into this little arguement but Sleeper can also mean that is more Sought after than originally expected, and not really have anything to do with the money involved but simply there aren't enough to go around. Now if the market dictates a rise in value that's one thing but let's say because it wasn't well received at first and the ES was cut then it comes out amazing and people are now looking for it we could then call it a "sleeper" hit. Not saying any of that will happen but who knows.

...which implies that the market value raises, because "there aren't enough to go around". If it's better received than expected, and there aren't enough around... market value raises. Simple as that. Otherwise, mention a "sleeper" that didn't raise in value.
Then again, as I said twice. This won't happen, not with a 3000 total ES. The Exclusive is so negligible that doesn't make any difference differenciate between Reg and Ex.

Also on the Tunic thing, tunics don't always have a clasp. Most Medieval tunics were one piece or buttoned or hooked together in the front and not actually pinned anywhere like so

sol_4954_0_1.jpg

They were meant as over clothing, sometimes to go over Chainmail armor.

Of course. Still, let's imagine you want to make a deatachable chest plate on this statue... have the chest portion of the tunic to be attached to the clasps is quite easy, so it can be partially removed and left hanging. It's not rocket science, surely it's not like Marker wanted to make it pass, like it's impossible to do.

Back