RATE/REVIEW Last Comicbook/book/printed stuff you read.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always wanted to read that ^ because of the art, I absolutely love Ribic, probably my favorite or second favorite Thor artist.

So if you're reading it that means it's good right?

The first issues by Hickman are brilliant, and gave "birth" to one of my favourite characters, The Maker. He's Evil Ultimate Reed Richards, who's... well, to tell the long story short, he's an evil, manipulative, bastard with no qualms, who's got one of the highest killcounts in comic-dom by the time Secret Wars rolls around. The later issues by Humphries (I think it was him, I'm not sure) are enjoyable, but nothing special. The final arc with the Dark Ultimates is a very good send-off and prelude to Hunger... That was awful though. Really, really awful... Damn Bendis...

PS: Did you see the news about the new DC Imprint "Young Animal"? They announced a new Doom Patrol as well, and even though it looks like the love child of a hipster and a SJW, they said it'll be reminiscent of Morisson's run, so I'm thinking of adding it to my pull.

I love The Maker character. One of the better examples of a super-smart character actually being super-smart--plus they add in the evil twist to make him a great villain.

I love The Maker character. One of the better examples of a super-smart character actually being super-smart--plus they add in the evil twist to make him a great villain.

Right on! Maker puts Doom to shame, if I'm being honest. He's the very definition of a super-genius "altruist" villain actually behaving like he should. And to think that he's got a kill-count of who knows how many, it's just mind blowing. I was never a Richards guy, but Evil Reed? Man oh man, do I LOVE Evil Reed.

Does he still stretch? :lol

Yeah I saw Young Animal, I'll wait to read some reviews first.

Well, Maker's stretching abillity is off the charts. He can seperate and control his molecules and I think even his atoms, so he can create dupes of himself that can act as a hive, but with each one performing different tasks.

tumblr_mpduhzKOxj1rsus6so1_500.jpg

oeSCRyW.jpg

0UmrHB8.jpg

tumblr_inline_n3ewbg8Izg1r3qjhr.png

Holy **** that's awesome.

I know, right?! "Good Guy" Reed (if you can call him as such) is such a bore, but Evil Reed? Oh man... He nuked the White House, killed the European ultimates and also destroyed Asgard and killed all the Gods. Yep, man's a total beast. He makes Doom look like a preschool villain. Oh, and here's his brain:

oSWRw92.png

Finally finshed up the first preacher 9/10.

Loved pretty much everything about it. In the beginning I read most of it spaced out and couldn't really get into the whole thing plot wise and character wise. Once I sped up my reading the book really picked up and I fell in love with the characters. Loved the unluckiest cop in the world.

I got the first 25 issues of East of West (I'm starting my sub with #27) and hot damn, this book is off the charts good. I'd definitely give it a read if i were you. It's a supernatural, sci-fi western with crazy good characters and a very interesting world. Definitely one of Image's best. I wouldn't mind a film adaptation, truth be told.

East of West is one of my favorite comic series. I'd love to see some figures get made from it.

In 1/6th, I'd only buy Death, due to budget issues. In 1/12th, probably the Horsemen. If we're talking about a 6" line, I'd get as much as I could, really.

PS: I also added Black Monday Murders to my pull. I'm cautiously optimistic about that one, but if it doesn't impress me in the first 3 issues, it'll go straight to trade-waiting. I mean, I need some space if the rumours of a Hickman written New Gods ongoing are true.

I'm pleased with rebirth so far. Definitely has more articulate story. Now we just need proper management of characters

Superman: American Alien - 4/10 Outside of 2 or 3 genuinely good issues, the rest was meh to bad.

Classic Landis dumb whiny "human" teenage characters, Supes "humanized" the wrong way.

Also so much dumb ****, bulletproof vest? Batman's cape? "I need the cape to turn", etc etc? Nah, new 52 origin was much much better than this.

Those 2 or 3 good issues were really good though, particularly loved the Jae Lee one.

Lois and Clark - 8/10

Consistently good art, consistently good writing, pretty good villains, yeah, pretty good Superman story, comfy and feelgood.

Plus, Supes with a beard.

Superman-Lee-Weeks.jpg

Jupiter's Circle parts 1 & 2
4/5*
Promo-ad-V2_scaled.jpg

This book is the prequel to Jupiter's Legacy, a modern day story about the powered kids of "golden age" superheroes and the family dynamic that goes along with 60+ years of history.

But this book ignores all that stuff and just gives you the goods that were referenced in that original story. I actually enjoyed this a lot more that the main series as the mid century setting and clean art are something I could easily get behind.

It's a very Mark Millar series from beginning to end but the characters are really well written, especially when the sunshine starts to fade away and the cracks begin to show.

I think Frank Quietly is taking longer than normal for the second volume of Jupiters Legacy so they pumped out a quick six issue Jupiter's Circle sequel and, while smaller, you could definitely see that this era in the 1960's was where everything fell apart.

Frank Quitely takes his time.

I diss Millar often but I forget he wrote this :lol I always lump him as a Morrison thing cause they're always together :lol

But yeah this series is good, Vol 2 of the main series drops this month right?

Lois and Clark - 8/10

Consistently good art, consistently good writing, pretty good villains, yeah, pretty good Superman story, comfy and feelgood.

Plus, Supes with a beard.

Superman-Lee-Weeks.jpg

I agree 100%. This was one of my "day one" reads as soon as I got back from the shop.

I do have one small observation that's more of a "huh moment" than anything else, but I came into DC with Infinite Crisis where there was a Superman, Lois, and a Superboy who were all refugees from a reality (realities) that no longer existed, and now the Superman that THEY encountered finds himself in the same position they were once in.

I doubt they'll do anything with this, I just found it to be an interesting note.

Frank Quitely takes his time.

I diss Millar often but I forget he wrote this :lol I always lump him as a Morrison thing cause they're always together :lol

But yeah this series is good, Vol 2 of the main series drops this month right?

Is it bad that I have no idea? I'm a horrible fan who only really sees what's arriving the Monday before when I see the new releases list.

Back