RATE/REVIEW Last Comicbook/book/printed stuff you read.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just read issues #1 and #2 of the "Fresh Start" relaunch of Captain America and was very disappointed, despite the fantastic artwork.

For the first time in my life I sent a letter to Marvel Comics. I'm sure they'll just delete it if they even read the whole thing so I figured I'd post it here for anyone interested since it does qualify as a review of sorts:

Hello,

I have been a Captain America fan since the 70's with my favorite runs being the "Captain America No More" storyline by Mark Gruenwald in the 80's and the epic Waid/Garney run in the 90's. I haven't been a regular reader since the disastrous "Heroes Reborn" storyline but every 1-2 years I peruse the latest issues of Cap to see if it's time to jump back in.

For more than of a decade Steve Rogers has seemingly been constantly sidelined due to being killed, upstaged by Bucky/Winter Soldier, whisked away to another dimension or planet, turned into a senior citizen or made into an outright Nazi. When are you going to bring him back to being the proactive and inspirational hero who is constantly on the front lines? A take-charge hero who stands up to bullies and oppressors just like we've been seeing in the fantastic live-action films?

I hoped that this new Captain America series by Ta-Nehisi Coates would be the excuse I've been looking for to begin reading Cap stories on a monthly basis again but after just two issues it looks like Steve is just going to be yet another mouthpiece for the writer of the week's (always far left) political angst. Why is this? Why can't you simply allow him to get back to being the flag wearing adventurer and leader of decades past? Cap is NOT an inherently political figure and there are decades of publication history that proves it.

I don't need Cap to be for or against liberals or for or against conservatives. Why can't you just let him be a *unifying* force of bravery and adventure instead of a proponent of white guilt, 2016 election hand-wringing and countless other left wing talking points?

Even apart from politics I read issue #2 of the new series and sadly realized that Ta-Nehisi Coates' run has already shown that he has absolutely no understanding of the character. He has never been "loyal to nothing but the dream." Nothing but the dream? What about his teammates? Innocent bystanders? Anyone who fights against fascism and oppression? He has always been loyal to them *and* the American Dream.

And Steve Rogers *never* joined the Army to prove that he was a man and not a boy. What a completely misconstrued opinion Mr. Coates has of his origin. Rogers joined the Army and volunteered for the super-soldier program simply because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately Mr. Coates's misguided take on the character has already been immortalized in print and so I will not be supporting this series and will simply await the next writer and reboot to see if the great hero of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's, will *ever* return.

I hope you take this letter to heart when re-evaluating his next re-launch.

Thank you for you reading,

*Khev's real name*

*this letter or any part of it is okay to print

Old Man Logan: 7/10

I had been meaning to read this for years, and finally got around to it. Not great, but fun, and an interesting "what if?" story, and who among us doesn't fantasize about revenge like we see here? I dig post-apocalyptic stories, and it was cool to superimpose that on the Marvel universe this way, which was less over the top and cartoonish than, say, Marvel Zombies. The Hawkeye's daughter subplot didn't make a lot of sense, and the insane Hulk thing was weird. The end reminded me of Unforgiven.

Well I just read issues #1 and #2 of the "Fresh Start" relaunch of Captain America and was very disappointed, despite the fantastic artwork.

For the first time in my life I sent a letter to Marvel Comics. I'm sure they'll just delete it if they even read the whole thing so I figured I'd post it here for anyone interested since it does qualify as a review of sorts:
Everything is so polarized nowadays, that I supposed comics can't stay immune. I suspect it will take a cultural shift towards civility, a genuine respect of others, and a willingness to compromise before we can get back to more normal times with comics. . .not that I'm against political comics here and there. Alan Moore and Warren Ellis have created some truly great comics with explicit or implicit political undertones, but it's better when that is the exception to the rule, and left to the real artists out there IMO.

Everything is so polarized nowadays, that I supposed comics can't stay immune.

Except that the powers that be at Marvel Comics have to look no further than the blockbuster films in theaters as we speak for examples on how to present their own characters in non-preachy, non-lecturing, non-divisive ways. Sure there might be a politically motivated line or two in a film here or there but by and large they're presenting these characters as heroes that anyone can appreciate just like the comics did for decades. I don't get why Disney doesn't step in and tell the editors and writers of the printed material to just cut the crap and get back to telling entertaining stories.

I suspect it will take a cultural shift towards civility, a genuine respect of others, and a willingness to compromise before we can get back to more normal times with comics. . .not that I'm against political comics here and there. Alan Moore and Warren Ellis have created some truly great comics with explicit or implicit political undertones, but it's better when that is the exception to the rule, and left to the real artists out there IMO.

Agreed 100%.

I share your sentiment, but while I don't know how the sausage is made at Marvel comics, I'm pretty confident that the audience buying comics isn't the same as the audience seeing movies. You would expect a much more niche group of people to be buying and reading comics. When we were kids, comics were 75 cents, and you still only had a select group buying them. Now that a single issue costs $4-5, it's restricting the audience even further. And the comic industry in general has been struggling for a few years now. Only getting worse in a world where people would rather get digital material that they can pirate than something they actually pay for.

Given all that, I have to assume Marvel is pandering to its most potent audience. It would be foolish for Marvel to ostracize people of one political persuasion if they were a potent market force. So, this could be a calculated gamble to galvanize the passions of one, larger group while losing the other, smaller one, hoping to reap the rewards by maybe sustaining more comic buyers than would otherwise be the case.

I don't really know much about the comic buying audience nowadays, so maybe it is a less rational move, but Disney generally knows what its doing when you're talking business. Unfortunately, that doesn't always result in the best product. Personally, I moved away from buying actual comics (as opposed to the periodic TPB--I got the Logan TPB from the library!) when we transitioned from a Crisis on Infinite Earths every decade+, to the equivalent coming once or twice a year, with "shocking" events and deaths at every turn, that were only to be retconned or otherwise changed a few months later. That was another way Marvel and DC reacted to the market, but it resulted in a real dilution of quality in my opinion.

Keep the What If's and Elseworlds stories separate from canon, you bastards! Major events should be something like the Dark Phoenix Saga, or the Judas Contract, not Civil War 3.0 or Infinite Flashpoint Crisis 3.5 or whatever.

Keep the What If's and Elseworlds stories separate from canon, you bastards!

I always chuckle when I walk into my local comic shop and see this issue displayed on the wall, lol.

2b4b836f60c0cea5f621d3cef5e4fafd.jpg

Yesterday's "What If" nonsense is today's canon! :duh

Old Man Logan: 7/10

I had been meaning to read this for years, and finally got around to it. Not great, but fun, and an interesting "what if?" story, and who among us doesn't fantasize about revenge like we see here? I dig post-apocalyptic stories, and it was cool to superimpose that on the Marvel universe this way, which was less over the top and cartoonish than, say, Marvel Zombies. The Hawkeye's daughter subplot didn't make a lot of sense, and the insane Hulk thing was weird. The end reminded me of Unforgiven.

I didn’t care for Old Man Logan at all. It felt like it was something that the writer threw together in less than an hour

Nice! I absolutely loved the first few years of the original Wolverine ongoing series. :duff

Me too. I was a big reader of comics in the 80's and early nineties. Punisher, Hulk, Spider-Man, Batman, and Captain America were on my top lists every month. I have loved getting the epic collections because they usually have anywhere from 16 to 20 issues in them. I like the fact that they also collect graphic novels into them as well. I think with Wolverine's epic though they should have at least done the first mini series and the Kitty Pryde mini series too for people who haven't read them. Interesting to see if Marvel will post your letter.

So I have been behind in reading Hulk... When the "Indestructible Hulk" title came out I just was not all that iintereted in Armored Hulk working for shield.. But after Endgame failing me so hard with regards to Hulk I decided to dive back into the comics.. I picked up the entire Indestructible collection Paperback and have been really enjoying it... Really shocked at how much I am liking it.. Love this "Happier" Bruce Banner. Very fun read so far. Much better then the Jason Arron Run... However that did start off great but man it just got silly and weird.. Hope this run does not do the same thing.

The Immortal Hulk has been great also... Love it when reading Hulk and it feels like I have opened the classic Horror comics like Vault of Horror or Tales from the Crypt.

Back