Rank the LOTR/Hobbit films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only boring scene in that movie, is the scene that "ties" into Lord of the Rings. So the Lord of the Rings stuff is the worst part about The Hobbit.

The only parts that I didn't like we're the belching, snot, up close beer drinking, Goblin King's chin, and bird ****. The rest of its worthy of being apart of this universe.

The only boring scene in that movie, is the scene that "ties" into Lord of the Rings. So the Lord of the Rings stuff is the worst part about The Hobbit.
Wrong again. Adding Frodo and old Bilbo automatically adds an entire point to The Hobbit's score. That's how great Lord of the Rings is. You should watch it sometime.

FotR EE -- Propulsive, self-contained story with a natural climax. 10 out of 10 for me.

TTT EE -- The additional material for this one changes the whole movie for me. Huge difference. Should never have been cut down in the first place.

RotK TE -- Much as I love the Death of Saruman and Mouth of Sauron scenes, the rest of the material the EE added just didn't work for me the way the other EEs did. Gotta go with the theatrical cut on this one. People complain about the length, but it does a brilliant job of wrapping up a LOT of storylines.

FotR TE -- Great movie, top to bottom.

TTT TE -- The pacing of this one always felt a little rushed and disjointed to me. And with good reason. They left some of the best stuff on the cutting room floor.

RotK EE -- Sometimes you can have too much of a great thing. With a couple very notable exceptions, a lot of the material that what was added back just felt bloated to me.

TH:AUJ -- Solid movie. I enjoyed it, but it didn't hit me emotionally like the LotR films. Mostly because I don't find Tolkien's story nearly as gripping. For me it was a solid 7.5 to 8. Where the LotR films are all in the 9 to 10 range.

Nice summary, sounds like I need to watch the EE's. That's why I've rated TT so low, I just never felt a connection but maybe watching the EE will change my opinion...

FOTR EE
TTT EE
ROTK EE
ROTK TE
FOTR TE
AUJ TE
TTT TE

It's been a long time since I watched the theatrical versions and I may have only watched them the once. All I can safely remember is I was disappointed with the theatrical version of Two Towers.

1. The Fellowship of the Ring (Theatrical and Extended)

2. The Two Towers (Theatrical and Extended)

3. Return of the King (Theatrical and Extended)

4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

We can do this again when the Hobbit trilogy is finished but for now what order do you rank the four Peter Jackson Middle-Earth films? You can rank either by preference or quality, your call.

No! :nana:

1. Lord of the Rings
1b. Hobbit (AUJ)

Nice summary, sounds like I need to watch the EE's. That's why I've rated TT so low, I just never felt a connection but maybe watching the EE will change my opinion...

It's definitely worth a look. All the EEs are.

One of my chief complaints with the theatrical version of TTT was that Faramir's character never made a whole lot of sense. Admittedly, the character is very different in the movies than in the books, but I was fine with that as long as it worked. But it didn't. Something was off.

And then I saw the Extended versions. And all of the Faramir material that they cut (especially the scene with Boromir and Denathor) really fleshed out his character and made him extremely sympathetic.

For my money, of the three films, TTT is the one that benefits the most from the EE treatment.

Back