Rank the LOTR/Hobbit films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:panic: I can't wait an extra year for those like I did with LOTR... Gonna have to own two sets I guess. :lol

I do that. :lol Then again I have all the versions on DVD (even different case designs) and own them all on BR as well. :lol

I bought the TE DVD, the EE DVD and the EE Blu. Once I got the EE Blu I gave the DVD EE Box set to my nephew. Got to encourage the love of great cinema.

I count the LotR trilogy as one movie since they're all perfect. I was disappointed in The Hobbit, and even more so on the second viewing. For some reason it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I have no idea why someone would complain about the "false endings" in RotK. There's only one ending. It's when the credits roll. And even if it does seem like it's ended but there turns out to be more, what's the big deal? Why is that even an issue? The "false endings" were some of the best parts of the movie too. Seeing the eagles come to carry Sam and Frodo away, Aragorn becoming king and being reunited with Arwen, Frodo leaving to the Grey Havens...you'd have to have no soul to not enjoy those moments.

Maybe. But I was trying to make Lars get all pissy.

The problem with the film is not much happens. Didn't need to be 3 hours, and should have never been 3 movies.

But for all things considered, it kept me invested. Which was nice.

FotR EE -- Propulsive, self-contained story with a natural climax. 10 out of 10 for me.

TTT EE -- The additional material for this one changes the whole movie for me. Huge difference. Should never have been cut down in the first place.

RotK TE -- Much as I love the Death of Saruman and Mouth of Sauron scenes, the rest of the material the EE added just didn't work for me the way the other EEs did. Gotta go with the theatrical cut on this one. People complain about the length, but it does a brilliant job of wrapping up a LOT of storylines.

FotR TE -- Great movie, top to bottom.

TTT TE -- The pacing of this one always felt a little rushed and disjointed to me. And with good reason. They left some of the best stuff on the cutting room floor.

RotK EE -- Sometimes you can have too much of a great thing. With a couple very notable exceptions, a lot of the material that what was added back just felt bloated to me.

TH:AUJ -- Solid movie. I enjoyed it, but it didn't hit me emotionally like the LotR films. Mostly because I don't find Tolkien's story nearly as gripping. For me it was a solid 7.5 to 8. Where the LotR films are all in the 9 to 10 range.

The movie ended for me when Aragon was crowned king.

What else did I need? Everyone was alive. The world was safe. All is well.
The story doesn't end there though. Frodo is the most significant character in the entire trilogy. It would have been devastating if after all they'd gone through, we never got to see Frodo and the hobbits make it back to the Shire.

TTT
FOTR
ROTK
Hobbit

Hobbit was a big disappointment..more of the standard LOTR fair with nothing standing out in my mind after I left theater....odd but truly I felt it was weak film story-wise and even in execution..but it was entertaining and fun...just not as "important" feeling as the original trilogy.

Back