Rank the LOTR/Hobbit films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the reason FOTR holds such a special place in my mind is because it was the first time I got to see Middle Earth as I had imagined it while reading the books. There was such high anticipation for this film and it more than delivered. It was such an awesome feeling knowing at that moment that we were going to get a first class trilogy that would do these books proud.

I really loved all the movies....but certain characters, I like more than others and therefore I ranked the movies where they played a greater role higher. But truthfully they all rank around a 9.999999 in my book.

I'm with ya there. For me its kind of splitting hairs on how well the universe has been translated from text to screen. Its fun for me to have this problem of coming up with reasons as to why one film might edge another.

Close enough. So far, every list but one has Fellowship first.

SnakeDoc

That doesn't mean each movie afterwards is actually worse.
But wait, isn't that exactly what it means? :lol

I would say 1) Fellowship, 2) Return of the King (minus all the lame false endings), 3) the Hobbit, 4) The Triple T

4122658241_b4459d2dbb.jpg

I'm with ya there. For me its kind of splitting hairs on how well the universe has been translated from text to screen. Its fun for me to have this problem of coming up with reasons as to why one film might edge another.

I really did not care for the Denethor character.....he pissed me off. :lol And sadly is one of the main reasons TROTK ranks 3rd for me in the LOTR trilogy. TTT - I loved Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, Saruman, the Ents marching...the speech Samwise gives to Frodo before Faramir lets them go....wonderful scenes there.

The one misstep PJ made in my opinion. He should have included the fact that Denethor attempted to use the palantir that was in Gondor. Would have made him as a more tragic character.

Twin Towers is the most forgettable one to me. Unlike, say, Empire Strikes Back (which actually stands out from the crowd in its greatness), it just moved the story forward without creating real memorable, standout moments to me. I just rewatched those movies about a month ago, and I still can't remember lots of key things about it that made it special. The talking trees and last scene of Smeagal about to do some really dastardly stuff sticks out most to me. Even Sean Bean's brother was so much less memorable than Sean Bean himself was.

If I had to pick one as the "best" it would absolutely be the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring. Save for a couple brief VFX shots there is just *nothing* wrong with it. Not one scene. Nothing is ever off with the characters or pacing or anything. So I'd say it's technically the best from an execution standpoint.

However it does have a bit of a slow build with Bilbo's party and the Hobbits walking around until they meet Aragorn. Not bad or anything but I just have to be in the right mood to appreciate all of its brilliance from beginning to end.

As far as my own preference my list is as follows:

1. ROTK:EE - oh its bloated and is bursting at the seams but its so damn epic and has so many out of this world awesome sequences coupled by the gripping drama of Frodo and Gollum in the final stages of their journey. This as compelling as it gets for me and is neck and neck with The Empire Strikes Back as my favorite overall film of all time.

2. The Hobbit: AUJ - I love it from beginning to end. I find the opening Shire sequences with Bilbo meeting Gandalf and the arrival of the dwarves to be more entertaining than the parallel opening of FOTR and then its all adventure from there! I love the Smaug and Azog flashbacks, Goblin Town and its accompanying action are spectacular and "Riddles in the Dark" is probably in my top 2 or 3 of all LOTR scenes from all four films. The final sequence with the wargs in the forest and poignant final scene between Thorin and Bilbo are just great.

3. FOTR (Theatrical Edition) - The "perfect" LOTR film.

4. The Two Towers (I *love* Helm's Deep and the montage during Sam's final speech but it isn't enough to rank this spectacular movie above the others.)

The one misstep PJ made in my opinion. He should have included the fact that Denethor attempted to use the palantir that was in Gondor. Would have made him as a more tragic character.

Agreed...PJ made Denethor look like a total P O S...instead of as you said more tragic reason for his madness...I also was pissed that PJ made him run the 1/4 mile to leap to his death...reminded me of older Speilberg stuff...LOL

That doesn't mean each movie afterwards is actually worse. All four movies IMO are very good.

Not sure you're completely grasping what a ranking is.

All I said is, if Fellowship is the best -- which appears more unanimous than I'd have guessed -- then its downhill thereafter. Even if the slope is slight.

SnakeDoc

But wait, isn't that exactly what it means? :lol

Yes that's the point of rankings. What I'm getting at is all three films are pretty damn good in all honesty on par with each other. Like I said its splitting hairs (for me with how good each film is over the other)

I really did not care for the Denethor character.....he pissed me off. :lol And sadly is one of the main reasons TROTK ranks 3rd for me in the LOTR trilogy. TTT - I loved Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, Saruman, the Ents marching...the speech Samwise gives to Frodo before Faramir lets them go....wonderful scenes there.

Denethor is a jerk. He's even that way in the book so its a good capturing of the character. I can see that I suppose. I feel like because he's so much like the book character its supposed to be that way. Honestly, Thorin in the book is a jerk as well and Jackson makes him a lot nicer I think in the movie so far than his book counterpart.

That would have been cooler than what he went with.

Not sure you're completely grasping what a ranking is.

I understand what rankings mean. I'm saying we're splitting hairs with that just because the others are ranked under them they're "worse" films. I may not be clear in what I'm saying.

If I had to pick one as the "best" it would absolutely be the theatrical edition of The Fellowship of the Ring. Save for a couple brief VFX shots there is just *nothing* wrong with it. Not one scene. Nothing is ever off with the characters or pacing or anything. So I'd say it's technically the best from an execution standpoint.

However it does have a bit of a slow build with Bilbo's party and the Hobbits walking around until they meet Aragorn. Not bad or anything but I just have to be in the right mood to appreciate all of its brilliance from beginning to end.

The TE of The Fellowship of the Rings is amazing but the EE is even better. Again, we're splitting hairs but its the EE all day and everyday IMO. Honestly, Its been a long time since I've watched any of the TE of the films. Wasn't one of the VFX shots you have a problem with when they first show the big glimpse of Moria?

Wasn't one of the VFX shots you have a problem with when they first show the big glimpse of Moria?

Yeah that was the main one, particularly because it was made to be this awesome epic visual that the characters themselves are in awe of and ironically is one of the dodgiest CG moments of the entire movie. :lol

But it was just that first quick shot and then everything was awesome a little later when the goblins are chasing them through that same hall.

I understand what rankings mean. I'm saying we're splitting hairs with that just because the others are ranked under them they're "worse" films. I may not be clear in what I'm saying.

The TE of The Fellowship of the Rings is amazing but the EE is even better. Again, we're splitting hairs but its the EE all day and everyday IMO. Honestly, Its been a long time since I've watched any of the TE of the films. Wasn't one of the VFX shots you have a problem with when they first show the big glimpse of Moria?

I have both the TE's and the EE's, but the only way i watch the TE's are if I get sucked into watching them on whatever TV channel they tend to air. I vastly prefer the EE.

When Hobbit is released on blu-ray, I wont even be bothered to pick up the TE, I will wait for the EE to come out.

FotR
TTT
AUJ
RotK

I have only seen AUJ once but that's how I feel at the moment. I'm hoping DoS and TaBA are as good (or better) than AUJ. Then we can have the "Which is better? LotR or Hobbit?" poll... I might end up siding with "The Hobbit." I just can't sit through the heavy/emotional/darkness RotK exhumes. And those false endings and cheesy acting. Ugh.

DISCLAIMER - LotR is in my top three movie trilogies of all time. I love them all and Josh says it best about "splitting" hairs. I view them as one movie and never watch them without sitting through the others soon after. But RotK just doesn't give me as much enjoyment as the others.

Yeah that was the main one, particularly because it was made to be this awesome epic visual that the characters themselves are in awe of and ironically is one of the dodgiest CG moments of the entire movie. :lol

But it was just that first quick shot and then everything was awesome a little later when the goblins are chasing them through that same hall.

That's what I thought. We're on different sides of the fence with that one. That scene is fantastic IMO. Its one of the best shots in the movie. I love that scene and the detail we see in the dark of Moria is fantastic.

I have both the TE's and the EE's, but the only way i watch the TE's are if I get sucked into watching them on whatever TV channel they tend to air. I vastly prefer the EE.

When Hobbit is released on blu-ray, I wont even be bothered to pick up the TE, I will wait for the EE to come out.

Yeah, I will watch the TE on TV once in a while. I watch the series 1-2 times a year as a whole though. Try to not over do things. :lol

I'll pick up the TE just to have it and watch it until the EE comes out.

That's what I thought. We're on different sides of the fence with that one. That scene is fantastic IMO. Its one of the best shots in the movie. I love that scene and the detail we see in the dark of Moria is fantastic.

Yeah, I will watch the TE on TV once in a while. I watch the series 1-2 times a year as a whole though. Try to not over do things. :lol

I'll pick up the TE just to have it and watch it until the EE comes out.

So we know 1000% that PJ is doing an EE of the Hobbit films? :yess:

Back