Qui-Gon + George Washington = Same Hairstylist?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offence Justin, but what were you thinking? :lol

quigon2fs.jpg

I am so glad that Qui-Gon doesn't have a white-trash mullett.

LOL, well truthfully, I'm not fan of either of those. But the photoshop was done by a guy on Rebelscum. I prefer it over the original, but don't necessarily love it. And I still see Russel Crowe. :lol

Holy crap you becoming a bump-aholic?

LOL, I feel sad that we don't talk about the previous figures anymore. It's almost like they never happened. :monkey2

And who can deny it? Bumping is so much fun! BUMP, BUMP, BUMP! :D

LOL, I feel sad that we don't talk about the previous figures anymore. It's almost like they never happened. :monkey2

And who can deny it? Bumping is so much fun! BUMP, BUMP, BUMP! :D

I know what you mean, I always enjoy reading the new figure threads and then they fade into the night. Qui-Gon is still one of my favorites and I was lucky enough to score a Poncho a while back and now he looks even better on my shelf.

I think that we have to start a "WHERE ARE THEY NOW" thread, what figures lost their shelf space, which were sold, upgraded, etc...

Wow, a blast from the past.

I actually liked the photoshopped version, particularly the sides of the head/hair. And as feared, we did get the hair shown on the prototype. Hence, my Qui-Gon is posed in profile, which actually looks much better that way. He's also towards the back of my display of 12" SW figs. He unfortunately is not one of my favorites but it was Qui-Gon, so I couldn't pass on him.

No offence Justin, but what were you thinking? :lol

quigon2fs.jpg

I am so glad that Qui-Gon doesn't have a white-trash mullett.

Quite an improvement from the original :) Really dig the altered look. Any ideas on how to go about putting more hair to the side of qui gon's head?

Great idea darthnaz, fun to see what happen to the previous figures now:)

Here's my preferred expression of Qui-Gon:

https://www.starwars-union.de/erwuniversum/factfile/wallpaper/13qui-gon_jin.jpg

Browsing through Google's images, I find it frustrating that the sculptor over exaggerated the slope of his forehead. The slope is so severe, it is preventing me from placing the hairline correctly. Viewing at an angle below his eyes, the forehead appears too short. But then, as you rise above the temples, the forehead lengthens because of the slope. Overall his face is too elongated and narrow. But we must make due with what we were given and I will do my best to bring him closer to the way I would like him. :)

haha, you're doing what I'm halfway through as well. Can't wait to see yours when it's finished!

I've cut off the hair at the back, and I'm going to resculpt it, and hopefully mold and cast it in flexible rubber or soft plastic or something. But with the hairline you're pretty much doing what I am... resculpting the top.

Good luck!

Thanks Darren. Your plan sounds very ambitious...I like it! :) If you could get the hair to flow to the front of the shoulders (like Legolas), it will really help the character likeness. I know I'm making his hair a bit large on the sides, but it's an attempt to make his face appear less long and narrow.

Wow, that shows vast improvement already Justin. Can't wait for the finished work :monkey5 What sculpting material do you use Justin?Sculpting is a totally alien world to me :rotfl

Do post your pic of the reworked qui gon head also Darren. Would love to see your take on qui gon :D

I just want to let you guys know that I'm having a blast re-doing Qui-Gon. There are certain aspects that I can't change such as the angle of the nose. Sculpting an entirely new nose is beyond my skill level at the moment. ;)

Just looking at various pics of Qui-Gon with Google Image Search, I can see so many errors...not just the proportions, but entire facial features. I like a lot of Oluf's work. I think his Buffy and Star Trek: TNG sculpts are OUTSTANDING! Anyone see his Worf bust? It's like he shrunk Michael Dorn straight into the sculpt! But I can't help but feel like he rushed through Qui-Gon for one reason or another.

When you think about it, Bespin Han and Qui-Gon should be characters that are highly sought after. They are popular core characters. And yet, they are worth almost nothing--going on clearance at most stores. And their ebay values get lower by the week. I can't help but think if their sculpts had been more accurate (and attire more up to snuff), they would be worth at least as much as Jedi Luke.

Hey DarthCipan, don't worry, I haven't forgotten. ;) I made some good progress tonight. It takes me a while because I can only work on it during short increments of time. After reviewing more pics and working with the sculpt, I decided to change my original plans. This involved redoing a lot of stuff. But I see no love for Qui-Gon in these forums, so I will be sure to make it worth the wait! :)

Back