Question - I'm about to put together a HT Predator, what should I be careful of?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assembling a Predator is nothing compared to assembling the first two Colonial Marines, Hicks and Apone.
They had you snap the torso together which was a tremendous b itch.
I'm glad they stopped that, I think Hot Toys heard all the complaining about getting the torsos together and realized it was a really bad idea.

Which begs the question, why do they make them snap kits to begin with? Not all HT figures are snap kits anyways

I can't fit the bio mask on; I'm scared of breaking his mandibles if I force it. Should I use the heating trick on this too?

Whether it's the first or second Wolf, the mandibles should be flexible enough to apply some force when putting the mask on. Personally, I like mine with the roaring mandibles, so helmet stays off.

I'd probably be more concerned about paint rubs with excessive force than anything else...but you can always dip his head (or closed mandibles if Cleaner version) in hot water, then pop the mask on and let it cool.

Each Predator seems to have his own set of obstacles. Scar was my first and I managed to snap his hip armor off. Pred 2 and that dreadfull loin cloth issue.I managed to break the little flimsy post on the back. Elder Pred 2 and those @#$#% shin guards. You damn near need a blow torch and a jar of vaseline to get those on, I did not break anything on him, which was a miracle. Lastly Wolf. His left leg never did click into place, and was wobbly, his right arm fell off while posing him and now his Bio mask won't stay on and those crappy little springs snap like twigs. Good news is I maged to fix all his ailments. Lot of work for things that expensive.

Deja vu!! :horror Exact same problems with P2 regular and Pred 2 Elder. Although my P2 regular had his left hip armor fall off - THAT was a ^^^^^ to get fixed (damn hub didn't want to pop into the armor).

My Wolf's problems were a loose left plasmacaster (ran a screw through it for tension), and a bit of excess plastic in the left forearm which broke a tab off the post.

Assembling a Predator is nothing compared to assembling the first two Colonial Marines, Hicks and Apone.
They had you snap the torso together which was a tremendous b itch.
I'm glad they stopped that, I think Hot Toys heard all the complaining about getting the torsos together and realized it was a really bad idea.

No problem with Hicks, but holy damn did Vasquez's smartgun armor suck...fiddliest bit of armor on any of my figures. I posed that figure and left it alone.

Originally Posted by Mesa
I can't fit the bio mask on; I'm scared of breaking his mandibles if I force it. Should I use the heating trick on this too?

Bro, don't worry about it, it should work out fine. Just push it on the haed. The manibles will flex enough, and the paint on the mandibles is so minimal that you have nothing to worry about. The mandibles are cast in the base baeign tan color, so you're good.

Which begs the question, why do they make them snap kits to begin with? Not all HT figures are snap kits anyways

It's a licensing and/or import thing. Duty is much less on a "model kit" than it is for a "toy" or a "doll".

It's a licensing and/or import thing. Duty is much less on a "model kit" than it is for a "toy" or a "doll".

I always thought it was a licensing thing...such as another company held the rights to make 1/6th scale figures, but Hot Toys has the rights to make 1/6th scale model kits... :monkey1

By requiring assembly, they skirt treading on another companies' licensee rights.

There was this Howard Chan (president of HT) interview and he basically said that they are not allowed to make the Aliens and Predators as "action figures." So they have to market them as model kits.

I think the only you need to be careful of when putting this thing together is to make sure it doesnt come alive and start running around the house blowing stuff up. Just dont let him cloak otherwise you'll never find him. Im still looking for mine.

I would keep some Elephant tranquilizers handy ;)

Just put together my first predator fig and it was Chopper from AVP, I actually didn't have much problems with him, I was patient with the netting and pip fittings to the mask, I guess really the only problem was snapping his head on, that was freaking tough but I got to thinking it's rubber and so I ran it under very hot water and "POP" with no problem snapped on the neck appendage!

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finish setting up the HT Predator technical "how to" thread I started a few months back... just too much else going on, but I haven't given up on it. Still have lots of pics to take and data to compile. It ought to be up and running before the end of the year though. :banghead

Back