Question about SW novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in the Republic Commando books they talk about how the clones' armor is based on Mandalorian armor, and Mandalorian warriors that trained the clones are in the books.

Found this on Wikipedia, but its not much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Holstice

There's a blurb about Mandalorian's being used by Sith to assinate Jedi during the clone wars here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandalorian

I don't know where this info originates though (EU novel, comic etc.)
Interesting reading though.

Darth Rage said:
I know in the Republic Commando books they talk about how the clones' armor is based on Mandalorian armor, and Mandalorian warriors that trained the clones are in the books.

is republic commando worth reading?? i know its a star wars book, but my friend read it and said its more of a military style with sci-fi thrown in.

I personally love the Republic Commando books, but I do like military and spy fiction as well so that may help with my enjoyment of it. They really go into alot of detail about the clones in the first and you get alot of stuff about Mandalorians in the second. The second does mention that the Mando's faught with the sith against the Jedi, but doesn't go in to detail.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Just got throught the first couple chapters of Jedi Search (the first book in the Jedi Academy Trilogy)
Can someone please tell me the book or books before this that deal with the return of the Emperor? It has to be after the Thrawn Trilogy which I've already read but I don't know in what book/s this happens.

I am actually almost finished with the second RC book. I think they're worth a look. Good charactor development, and it gives an interesting take on the clones.

One thing I like about the Republic Commando novels is that it almost puts a negative light on the Jedi.

Agent0028 said:
One thing I like about the Republic Commando novels is that it almost puts a negative light on the Jedi.

True, true, these are definately not written from the "standard" star wars point of view.

Darth Rage said:
I am actually almost finished with the second RC book. I think they're worth a look. Good charactor development, and it gives an interesting take on the clones.

thats good news, aren't there two or three of them now?? i like military books, but i like realistic military stuff, soooo i might have biased opinions while reading them.

Okay, just got my shipment from Amazon today of about 20 paperbacks. Everything but the X-Wing series I think.

Now which comic books should I get? I bought the TP of Dark Empire and found it almost unreadable - hated the art, the dialogue, everything about it. But I did get a Clone Wars TP and liked it a lot. So what else is good?

The Clone Wars are the only comics I've got and I've only read the first two. Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Empire, I was going to read them, but I might pass now. What books did you get? Just the NJO or a mixture?

I just used this website and ordered every book after the Thrawn trilogy except the Rogue or X-wing squadron. I've already read a Clone Wars book and I've got Yoda Dark Rendevous on my ipod and I'm reading the Cestus Deception.

Asajj Ventress is cool!

Darklord Dave said:
I just used this website and ordered every book after the Thrawn trilogy except the Rogue or X-wing squadron. I've already read a Clone Wars book and I've got Yoda Dark Rendevous on my ipod and I'm reading the Cestus Deception.

Asajj Ventress is cool!

dark rendevous is a great book!!! a little much on the humor side, but thats what happens when the story is concentrated on a mission with yoda. the cestus deception was also great because it has Kitt Fisto in it and shows a more "human" side of the clones.

Darklord Dave said:

Asajj Ventress is cool!

Thanks for the link. In what book or books does Asajj make an appearence? I know she's in some of the Clone Wars graphic novels but is she in a book as well?

I think Asajj is only in Jedi Trial and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. The latter is my favorite clone wars novel along with the Medstar duology. The others I didn't care for too much for some reason.

Also, have you read any of the books prior to the Thrawn Trilogy Dave? Truce at Bakura is good, but I really enjoyed Tatooine Ghost. It's set directly after Han and Leia's wedding and they are on Tatooine trying to get a painting with a rebel code hidden in it. While there Leia learns alot about young Anakin. Very nice bridge from the PT to OT as is some parts of The Dark Nest Trilogy.

hairlesswookiee said:
thats good news, aren't there two or three of them now?? i like military books, but i like realistic military stuff, soooo i might have biased opinions while reading them.

There are two so far I believe, (Republic Commando) Hard Contact and Triple Zero. If you like military I think you'll dig these. I'm a big fan of the early Clancy books, and while these don't have quite the detail those do, they definately have the special ops military feel. Great charactors and charactor development too. Let us know how you like (or dislike) them.

BTW, thanks for the link Dave, great list.

Last edited:
have you read any of the books prior to the Thrawn Trilogy Dave?
I read one where Leia was going to be in a political marriage and audio booked one with Xizor. Neither impressed me much.

Darklord Dave said:
I read one where Leia was going to be in a political marriage and audio booked one with Xizor. Neither impressed me much.
The first one, "The Courtship of Princess Leia", was a horrible book in my opinion. Tatooine Ghost was written by Troy Denning who wrote Star by Star in NJO, The Dark Nest Triology, and is writing three of the nine Legacy books.

I just finished the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I must say it was very good. From the start of the first book, it really grabs you. The Thrawn books just seemed to be a build up to the last couple of chapters but these were actually really good all the way through. I highly reccomend them.

Now I'm into the Clone Wars novels which are great so far.

Back