Question about SW novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool... yes the X-Wing series is also pretty good. im gonna start the Jedi Academy Trilogy next week. if you want any of them in audiobook i've got EVERY one of them on cd.

hairlesswookiee said:
cool... yes the X-Wing series is also pretty good. im gonna start the Jedi Academy Trilogy next week. if you want any of them in audiobook i've got EVERY one of them on cd.

I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy, which I enjoyed a lot. And my girlfriend got me the Jedi Academy Trilogy (just need to finish LOTR first). Are there any other books that I should be reading before I get into the Jedi Academy series?

Darth Loki said:
I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy, which I enjoyed a lot. And my girlfriend got me the Jedi Academy Trilogy (just need to finish LOTR first). Are there any other books that I should be reading before I get into the Jedi Academy series?

its not a matter of which one first, first some reason everyone i talk to that has read it says that the jedi academy series is weak in comparison to others. are you going to read just the books that take place in between the movies??
one book that i found really cook is "I, Jedi" because it finally describes in detail how a lightsaber is built from scratch.
there is also a new trilogy that is kicking off a new series. its called the Dark Nest trilogy. part one is named The Joiner King, and part two is titled "The Unseen Queen" . part three is supposed to come out sometime later this year.

~~ill repeat it again. i love the clone wars novels because they deal with whats going on in the war, which none of the movies do. and you understand the stress that the Jedi are under with their need and also limited numbers.

Last edited:
Congrats on 1000 posts!

I want to get the Clone Wars novels as well but at $18 a pop, it's going to get expensive. X-Mas presents I guess.

Darth Loki said:
Congrats on 1000 posts!

I want to get the Clone Wars novels as well but at $18 a pop, it's going to get expensive. X-Mas presents I guess.

most of them are in paperback by now. unless you are like me and collect the hardback editions.

A great book is SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE. It takes place between EMPIRE and JEDI. Han's trip to Jabba at the hands of Fett, Luke becoming full Jedi and a plan comes together to rescue Han. Also Prince Xizor is introduced as a great antagonist to Vader.

All I know is that in one of the EU novels, poor chewbacca.

Here's a dancing chewy in memory of you chewbacca.

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

congerking said:
All I know is that in one of the EU novels, poor chewbacca.

Here's a dancing chewy in memory of you chewbacca.

:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

thats basically what ruined the series for me. after reading that book i just couldnt read any of the others and take them seriously.

Darklord Dave said:
Resurrecting an old thread - I just picked up a bunch of SW novels at the book store including the newest "Betrayal". But I haven't read any post RotJ except the Thrawn trilogy - so what do I need to read BEFORE Betrayal?

I thought someone had linked to a list, but I couldn't find that.

Well, Dave... If you have not read any of the New Jedi Order novels, you might want to do so. They really do set up the story a bit an d if you don't... you might be a little shocked at the absence of a few central characters. A lot happens in that storyline that kind of set up the New series that begins with 'Betrayal'.

New Jedi Order and Dark Nest Trilogy are probably the ones most essential to read prior to reading betrayal. As DarkArtist says there's alot that happens there and it sets up alot to do with Jacen in NJO and his relationship with Ben and the Force in Dark Nest. And if you don't know who Ben is well...:monkey3

Plus, the third Dark Nest book is already out Hairless, its "The Swarm War".

Agent0028 said:
New Jedi Order and Dark Nest Trilogy are probably the ones most essential to read prior to reading betrayal. As DarkArtist says there's alot that happens there and it sets up alot to do with Jacen in NJO and his relationship with Ben and the Force in Dark Nest. And if you don't know who Ben is well...:monkey3

Plus, the third Dark Nest book is already out Hairless, its "The Swarm War".

yeah i saw it at the bookstore the other day. im gonna pass on it. i read the joiner king and thought it was ok, but have yet to start the second one yet. im looking forward to the old republic book *hopefully many* that is coming out. what happened to chewie was what killed it for me :confused: i remember someone saying that another key character from the OT will also pass away in one of the new series' books.

Well I have to say that isn't too surprising, they can't live forever, and by the time of The Legacy series I think our heroes are pretty geriatric by then.

hairlesswookiee said:
yeah i saw it at the bookstore the other day. im gonna pass on it. i read the joiner king and thought it was ok, but have yet to start the second one yet. im looking forward to the old republic book *hopefully many* that is coming out. what happened to chewie was what killed it for me :confused: i remember someone saying that another key character from the OT will also pass away in one of the new series' books.

I dont read EU books, so can you tell me what happend to chewie:confused:

Agent0028 said:
Well I have to say that isn't too surprising, they can't live forever, and by the time of The Legacy series I think our heroes are pretty geriatric by then.

im still hoping to read about Luke walking around with a cane. i did like how Luke was portrayed in the Joiner King though. very cool to picture him as THE master in the group.

Post #39 contains a spoiler I put in this thread, if you have not read the first book in the New Jedi Order series Vector Prime, it would be advisable to skip that post.

Last edited:
hairlesswookiee said:
im still hoping to read about Luke walking around with a cane. i did like how Luke was portrayed in the Joiner King though. very cool to picture him as THE master in the group.
He comes across even better in the last one, really kicks killik butt.

Agent0028 said:
SPOILER ALERT

He got a moon dropped on him. :rotfl I'm not kidding. The Yuuzhan Vong tipped a moon out of orbit and it smashed into the planet it was orbiting. Han Chewbacca and Anakin were evacuating the planet, but Chewie got seperated from the Falcon and Anakin had to leave him behind. That or they all woulda died.

:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 .......

Agent0028 said:
He comes across even better in the last one, really kicks killik butt.

thats good to know. i always wanted to see luke as a B.A., too bad you didnt get to see much of that in ROTJ. im gonna finish the trilogy sometime this summer, but right now ive got some other books im gonna get to.

Back